pest control

rayhallam

hi, I've been told that if a farmer is having trouble with crows and magpies on his dairy farm attacking his calves can I go and shoot under the corvid 19 regulations. It would be a case of driving 16 miles to the farm, setting up in a field , shooting and then coming back after with no contact with anyone. Am I ok to go

That’s your decision really, you need to be comfortable that the pest control is essential and you can back it up if you’re challenged. Ring your FEO on where they stand as it seems every force is interpreting the guidance differently. If you are going to shoot ring 101 for them to log the start and end of when and where you will be shooting.

I'd say phone 101 to tell your local police control room exactly where you'll be, they'll likely advise you if the force policy doesn't consider that as essential enough for their liking. If they approve you'll get an incident number to quote to any officer called out to the sound of gunfire by some anti field sports busybody.

Local force policy is dictated by the area's police chief rather than your licensing office which may only running part time and won't be the people sent to investigate the activity.

I've not been shooting yet this year due to wet ground then further delayed by 'stay home advice' but its getting overdue and will be in the next few days - so don't quote me.

I had similar this week, Derbyshire my licensing area said ok under crop protection, but FLO phoned me back and talk to Nottinghamshire as farm is in their area and they arrested two shooters for doing similar and are revoking their tickets.

so I phoned Nottinghamshire firearms licensing department and was told their advice is not to and if I did I had to be confident I could field a robust defence in court 😩

I phoned the landowner and said his problem will have to wait ☹️

4 hours ago, Modafinale said:

I had similar this week, Derbyshire my licensing area said ok under crop protection, but FLO phoned me back and talk to Nottinghamshire as farm is in their area and they arrested two shooters for doing similar and are revoking their tickets.

so I phoned Nottinghamshire firearms licensing department and was told their advice is not to and if I did I had to be confident I could field a robust defence in court 😩

I phoned the landowner and said his problem will have to wait ☹️

Would like to know who told you that . I've been out several times last two weeks in notinghamshire and when I've rang this has never been mentioned . I was last out on Monday and looking at going tomorrow. They only ask who where and when and ring when finished.

I'll ask tomorrow when I ring.

5 hours ago, dipper said:

Crows and magpies attacking calves .thats a new one ?

More suitable under Health and Safety spoiling food stuff and general hygene.

One of my farms has a problem with crows and rooks enmasse coming into the yard for the foodstuff the cattle are scared to come back into the yard from the field. The cattle will slip on the concrete in panic. But we are talking several hundred at a time.

I have ravens attacking calves down here, farmer just lost another calf. The things are coming into the calving shed and pecking at the calves and rear quarters of the cows during birth. Not much to be done 😞 

49 minutes ago, Modafinale said:

Firearms at headquarters, spoke to woman in the office, but it was my own FLO from Derbyshire that warned me they would be funny 

Just had long chat with basc firearms. They said they were unaware anyone was going out on the 101 system I was the first he'd heard of. I said are we ok or not !!!. Very non committal either way. So I said can you let me know as I thought I was doing the right thing along with others. They are issuing us with a ref no so I assumed we were ok. His answer was it depends who turns out if they get a complaint or whatever. Will ask them tomorrow. I certainly don't want to be wrong.

My FLO told me that two people where shooting in Nottinghamshire and where arrested by ARV officers and Nottinghamshire Police are requesting revocation of both their tickets.

im glad he phoned me as the farm I was going to is in a village and in view of a B Road.

The farmer was not very happy and I told him to ring as it’s his crop being damaged.

He’s Not rang me back to say it’s ok so I expect he got the same answer as I did 😩

Edited by Modafinale

hi rang Leicestershire FO no reply ask for a call back so I rang Staffordshire police because that's where the farm I shoot and they were brilliant said if it was pest control there wasn't a problem, took all my details full name address what vehicle and reg which farm full address and grid ref.and when I was going. told me to let them know every time I did go. I had a call back from Leicestershire police they were completely opposite, I told them I'd sorted it with staffs. and that they had taken all my details and given me a ref. no. didn't sound happy just kept saying they didn't endorse going shooting and inferred 16 miles wasn't local. still going got to look after my farmer who's allways been ok with me

It really is up in the air and every force is giving a differing view. Leicestershire said yes to me.ring 01.. then told another gun NO not in any circumstances. Derbyshire said the same, No but now you have said that they are happy with 101.  I have a ton of control jobs to do in six counties and I am not willing to chance my ticket.

I think the Police are just treating us as a nuisance to be sidelined.

It really does need BASC to get a grip on this and contact every force and try and get a unified approach. 

Edited by Walker570

44 minutes ago, Modafinale said:

My FLO told me that two people where shooting in Nottinghamshire and where arrested by ARV officers and Nottinghamshire Police are requesting revocation of both their tickets.

im glad he phoned me as the farm I was going to is in a village and in view of a B Road.

The farmer was not very happy and I told him to ring as it’s his crop being damaged.

He’s Not rang me back to say it’s ok so I expect he got the same answer as I did 😩

Obviously more to it than being out on crop protection or why would arv be attending.

If you've informed them with all info and details they know whose there.

1 hour ago, mellors said:

Obviously more to it than being out on crop protection or why would arv be attending.

If you've informed them with all info and details they know whose there.

ARV always attend firearms related incidents ! I’ve had helicopter too years ago In Loughborough 

13 minutes ago, southeastpete said:

It’s a joke to try and prosecute a shooter in a field when last week at the carers clap there were crowds gathered in Westminster, including the police... one rule for Londoners another for the country bumpkins...

Or it could be some FLO officers or managers aren't very supportive about civilians having guns, or their police chiefs forgot to tell them its OK to be alone in a field doing whatever a person can find to occupy himself. The complete stupidity of it is you would be OK carrying a shovel to do a bit of digging in a tiny allotment plot that's less than a metre from the next plot. The word obtuse has just come to mind.

20 minutes ago, Dave-G said:

Or it could be some FLO officers or managers aren't very supportive about civilians having guns, or their police chiefs forgot to tell them its OK to be alone in a field doing whatever a person can find to occupy himself. The complete stupidity of it is you would be OK carrying a shovel to do a bit of digging in a tiny allotment plot that's less than a metre from the next plot. The word obtuse has just come to mind.

Allotments have a rota system here no more than two at your allotted time 1 hour every 2 days rotating up one hour after every visit 

you maybe requested to turn on sprinkler system if you’re hours 1900 to 2000 

3 hours ago, Dave-G said:

At the end of the day if you have a good solicitor I’m sure it wouldn’t go anywhere...

I'm beginning to think each county has it's own laws like each country.

I don't garden but my daughter has a large allotment which she visits most days, times vary. No restrictions on allotmenting or whatever you call it. She locks herself inside her fenced off area with the kids and dog, the kids play get fresh air and she gardens. Social distances are maintained as she doesn't allow visitors. She rarely sees her allotment neighbors even if they're on the plots. Growing food is classed as essential, her allotment society copied a local police email to all to print and carry if stopped.

As for shooting, I had a conversation with the senior firearms officer and recorded it for proof if needed. If you/I have written permission to shoot for essential crop protection you maintain social distance and your distance travelled not excessive as in under or less than 1/2 hour then it's an acceptable essential work, paid or unpaid. However, if you're shooting in pairs you must travel and shoot separate unless you are both living or isolating in the same residence. 

So I think it's the government not making clear what is or not acceptable and it being open to interpretation by each County Police force.

From what I've heard and read, if I lived in North Yorks or Leicestershire I wouldn't even think about shooting in case the thought Police came for me.