tax return

sharpeshooter60

I understand they are still doing returns as normal so long as your self assessment passes the computer without needing to see a real person, generally the money arrives in my account within three weeks of submission. This year will be slow for me as my accountant is furloughed. 

Did my return as soon as the Email arrived just a couple of days into the tax year...I'm employed and on PAYE.  Discovered recently if one has a 'permanent work from home employment contract' you can claim £26 a week, so a bit over £1300 a year for expenses without a requirement to show receipts, knowing this I claimed for previous years going back to 2016.  The rebate arrived in my bank account on Wednesday so took a good couple of weeks.  Result!

I have friends who use accountants to do their tax returns and have come to understand it is worth making the effort to understand the process yourself - because there are bunch of things one can get tax relief on that unless the accountant understands your business life intimately/stays on top of the constantly shifting sands of tax allowances will get missed.     

The online self assessment tool HMRC provide is actually pretty neat and operates like a calculator model where you can input the data and if the end result isn't to your liking - i.e. paying too much or too little tax one can go back and double check the values and research available allowances.  Worth the effort for sure.

Edited by Cosmicblue