What are these ?

Walker570

10 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

WALNUTS?

TC has it. well done.  They are walnuts, you can just see the very small flower on the top of each one and it amazes me that these tiny things grow into walnuts 300mm across.

My two trees are laden again this year and hoping this warm two or three weeks lets the insects do the job and I get another big crop.  The male flowers are like big thick hazel catkins.

Modafinale you where closer than you thought as these are the female and produce the mature seed.  I suppose you could call that tiny flower by that name.

Edited by Walker570

9 minutes ago, old'un said:

Walnut 300mm across? blimey that is a big nut.

walnut.jpg

slip of the finger.... 30 mill.  Yes, I have one tree that produces some very large nuts. Both my trees where given by a friend 25yrs ago and they had grown from walnuts in his own back yard, obviously buried by squirrels.  One tree produces normal size the second very large. They are fairly easy to grow from seed but expect to wait about 15-20yrs for some nuts.

3 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

slip of the finger.... 30 mill.  Yes, I have one tree that produces some very large nuts. Both my trees where given by a friend 25yrs ago and they had grown from walnuts in his own back yard, obviously buried by squirrels.  One tree produces normal size the second very large. They are fairly easy to grow from seed but expect to wait about 15-20yrs for some nuts.

I bet you tell all the girls that. :)

I am still in awe as to how those tiny little green things in the photo,  develope by the end of September into what we know as walnuts.  In the last three years I have picked between 1500 and 3500 from my two trees.   Late Sept and October I have to be on guard every mornign at day break to kill any squirrels coming in from neighbouring property.

Just now, old'un said:

I bet you tell all the girls that. :)

Too old for that game now and memory fading, but you just reminded me....another sip of the amber liquid to steady my nerves.:lol: