Lincoln Jeffreis S X S Date of Make?

ohiochuck

I have acquired a very nice waterfowling shotgun proofed for 1 & 3/4 oz loads. I have not been able to determine when it was made.

Lincoln Jeffreis, JNR., 120 Steel House Lane. Birmingham

Jeffrie’s Long Range High Velocity for 3 “Brass case  12 bore 3 inch  # 3770

When was it made?

Thanks!

Jim

24 minutes ago, ohiochuck said:

I have acquired a very nice waterfowling shotgun proofed for 1 & 3/4 oz loads. I have not been able to determine when it was made.

When was it made?

Thanks!

Jim

Pictures of the gun and proof marks would help!

1 hour ago, ohiochuck said:

When was it made?

Thanks!

Jim

Is it chamberless ?

He is listed at Steelhouse Lane in 1901 in grace`s Guide.

Hth.

Edited by matone

On 22/04/2020 at 18:40, ohiochuck said:

When was it made?

Thanks!

Jim

Presumably both barrels are full or extra-full choke. .... and presumably not a good candidate to be fed Steel Shot, et al...  ??

My apologies if you know this already. Brass case guns are often chamberless and since the intended  brass cartridge wall is thinner than the contemporary paper cartridge the barrel bore size is often greater than the nominal 12 bore.

Many require 11 or 10 bore wads to get decent obturation and they shoot best with the thin brass cases rather than modern plastic where the pattern can be poor for this reason.

Brass case guns are often found in exceptionally good condition because they had very little use, for the above reason, after the thin brass cases became unobtainable after ww2. (?)

44 minutes ago, mudpatten said:

My apologies if you know this already. Brass case guns are often chamberless and since the intended  brass cartridge wall is thinner than the contemporary paper cartridge the barrel bore size is often greater than the nominal 12 bore.

Many require 11 or 10 bore wads to get decent obturation and they shoot best with the thin brass cases rather than modern plastic where the pattern can be poor for this reason.

Brass case guns are often found in exceptionally good condition because they had very little use, for the above reason, after the thin brass cases became unobtainable after ww2. (?)

If that's the case I hope he didn't pay much when he acquired it :oops: 

I understand Lincoln Jeffries made a few SBS boxlock ejector wildfowling guns to special order, that had 3 1/4” chambers and were very tightly choked! Several years ago I had the chance to buy a mint one, but we couldn't agree a price.............So I bought his double Tolley 8 bore instead! 

• 3 months later...

Proof markings

Shot  it today for the first time. Functions nicely with 12 b 3 inch cartridges. No problem and easy to  extract cartridge cases after firing.

More patterning info with bismuth shot to come.

Jim

DSC_0049.JPG

DSC_0051.JPG

DSC_0052.JPG

DSC_0055.JPG

2 hours ago, Gunman said:

Cover plate is not fitted correctly .Is the stock loose ? Or are the plate pins not holding ? Gun like this needs to have every thing tight and solid .

Looks like the trigger plate hasnt been seated correctly to me. I know my aya can need a good tap to seat it correctly before putting the screws in. I take it firing like that could lead to stock cracks?

• 4 months later...