shoot this year

Hi all,

we have to order our birds now for end of july poults, only a few of our syndicate have given definite yes to this year as we don't usually start collecting money until may, do we just order them and hope.

what are others doing? also need to get cover crop planted now what type should we get as in the past few years the farmer grew maize and left blocks in for us but it does not last that well, we are in Essex with clay ground.

Neil

From what I’ve read , and people I’ve spoken too and on the “ guns on pegs “ website I’d say 70% of shoots are going ahead , some are cutting the number of birds shot on a day but having the same number of days one or two are starting a bit later but planning on having more smaller days later in year and jan / feb , hope this helps 

Not an easy decision and would think you need to get your members to make up their minds and vote on the issue and that's a lot more difficult than solving the corovid problem...been there done that..  I have a dozen or more days booked and deposits in and those estates have said they plan going ahead. I only shoot relatively small days ...60 to 150 birds but that is still a big investment for those estates.  Hope you persuade them all to back you and it all comes good in the end.

thanks for replies, a few more have said they are in now so 7 now so ive just ordered 2000 birds for first week in august, now just got to decide on cover crop type, we are going to build another pen as we normally have 1200 birds, we have loads of herras fence panels so are going to use them.

8 hours ago, Neilsmith said:

A few of our guns are not renewing this year so we will ask a few who have asked in the past, it will be difficult if we are still in restricted lockdown as we have a couple of over 70s that might not be allowed out and the rest will have to be sensible.

I am approaching eighty at high speed and if they expect me to incarcerate myself then they are very mistaken.  Ridiculous, pathetic suggestion by London City based politicians.

To quoate a WOKE expression....AGEISM !!!!!  There are many of us out here who are of age so to speak but still very active and appreciate out lucky we are.  My wife is older than me and walks 4 miles every day to the shop to collect the newspaper ..... don't see the fat, obese wobbly 30year olds seen struggling to fit between the shelves in Aldi doing that.

I could go on but this makes me VERY mad.

I already have days booked for this next season and backing the estates who are taking the bull by the horns and intending providing some sport for us.

SENSIBLE.....  a word many.... observe the actions on Westminster Bridge AGAIN...do not appear to understand.

I hope you have a great season and all your guns back you to the hilt.

1 hour ago, Walker570 said:

I am approaching eighty at high speed and if they expect me to incarcerate myself then they are very mistaken.  Ridiculous, pathetic suggestion by London City based politicians.

To quoate a WOKE expression....AGEISM !!!!!  There are many of us out here who are of age so to speak but still very active and appreciate out lucky we are.  My wife is older than me and walks 4 miles every day to the shop to collect the newspaper ..... don't see the fat, obese wobbly 30year olds seen struggling to fit between the shelves in Aldi doing that.

I could go on but this makes me VERY mad.

I already have days booked for this next season and backing the estates who are taking the bull by the horns and intending providing some sport for us.

SENSIBLE.....  a word many.... observe the actions on Westminster Bridge AGAIN...do not appear to understand.

I hope you have a great season and all your guns back you to the hilt.

well said

I also have a couple of days booked up to now, be booking more as they become available, will also be picking up again if the shoots are on, and I must be near the top of the 'vulnerable' I try to keep a sensible distance and use my judgement as to what is sensible, life must go on or are you just going to curl up and wait to be infected

72 years old, kidney transplant in 2006, heart valve in 2017, troubled with arthritis mobility wise

I know the shoot where I live are not ordering their partridge, a mistake I feel

On 24/04/2020 at 09:25, Neilsmith said:

A few of our guns are not renewing this year so we will ask a few who have asked in the past, it will be difficult if we are still in restricted lockdown as we have a couple of over 70s that might not be allowed out and the rest will have to be sensible.

See that's just madness IMO. Asking guns to join a shoot as new guns with a (high) probability that social distancing restrictions of some sort will still be in effect.

Would be interested to hear back how many take that up? 

Rang the lad who supplies us with birds to find out if he was still doing the business and he is. I then contacted  our syndicate members to get a poll of who was prepared to take a punt on things going ahead and glad to say the majority want to take the chance .

We had one lad pull out due to ill health .His place was taken up by a fella who was on our waiting list to join regardless of the situation with this lurgy life goes on.

3 hours ago, scutt said:

Rang the lad who supplies us with birds to find out if he was still doing the business and he is. I then contacted  our syndicate members to get a poll of who was prepared to take a punt on things going ahead and glad to say the majority want to take the chance .

We had one lad pull out due to ill health .His place was taken up by a fella who was on our waiting list to join regardless of the situation with this lurgy life goes on.

What happens if it doesn’t go ahead when the time comes, you say their taking a punt but will you give refunds if no shooting can be done. It’s ok if there willing to take there fees on the chin but if you have to give there money back you’ll lose awful lot of money  

Yup, comes to us all eventually. Main thing to remember is it aint a rehearsal so get out there and enjoy yourselves. Believe me 80yrs has gone by like a clap of thunder, the last 30 like the flash of lightening.  I ain't throwing in the towel yet though, still too many squirrels to sort out and partridges to shoot:good:

12 hours ago, JBevan said:

So they won’t get refunded? I’m not criticising I’m just wondering how people are going about things that’s all  

They havn't  paid owt yet  😊 just an agreement that they will. If  we can't get the poults then we will only have to pay the rent and maybe a bit corn and rough shoot thru the season  thats if the powers that be let us.

14 hours ago, JBevan said:

So they won’t get refunded? I’m not criticising I’m just wondering how people are going about things that’s all  

Sadly the rent on most shoots has to be paid 

it’s in times like this that the syndicate members have to step up and pay for it or the lease will be gone and then there’s no shooting next season 

25 minutes ago, Old farrier said:

it’s in times like this that the syndicate members have to step up and pay for it or the lease will be gone and then there’s no shooting next season 

exactly 

19 minutes ago, Old farrier said:

No i totally understand, I’m in the same position. Obviously the lease needs paying Whatever but what I mean is the lease is easier to cover than the lease and 2000 poults. 

just wondering about shoots that are a bit bigger as I dont know many guns that’ll be to happy to stamp up £2500 for a season of no shooting to keep it going.  I just keep thinking that for this year will be better to  just ask for the small amount to cover the ground Between the guns and dont get the birds