Pasties

Surfer

After years of not having pasties due to filling being a disappointment on most of them ,some weren’t cheap either 😂 

watched the programme inside the factory and had the gingsters Cornish pasties on there , so I thought I’ll give it a try OMG 😮 absolutely full to the brim with tasty 😋 filling and you can use microwave or oven to warm or eat cold 🥶 

so back to the butcher/baker over the weekend for a comparison ,any other recommended pasties out there besides walls 

35 minutes ago, bruno22rf said:

Ginsters Pasties are a bit of a hit and miss affair - sometimes get a batch of nice ones then you find one full of fat and gristle. Make your own.

Agreed. I've been disapointed too many times.

My aunt Edith (now deceased) was a Devon girl who  was of the view that pasties were of Devon origin. She made the greatest pasties ever and gave me her recipe. It was lost in house moves and sadly I can't remember it. So, if anyone has a genuine local recipe (not one from Jamie or Delia or Mary) please post it here 🍺🍺 Thank you.

Ginsters are quite edible but they are sure as heck not a pasty.

Philps or Anne’s if you want a proper one, Anne’s are slightly better imo.

Making your own doesn’t need any special recipe, steak, swede, onion and potato plenty of pepper and some salt. (plus pastry, obvs)

There is so much wrong with a ginsters, should be against the law to call it a Cornish Pasty. Mince in a pasty? what!!!!! 
They are mass produced rubbish. If you want a proper job pasty go online there are some companies down here producing proper ones frozen and delivered to your door. 

1 hour ago, rimfire4969 said:

There is so much wrong with a ginsters, should be against the law to call it a Cornish Pasty. Mince in a pasty? what!!!!! 
They are mass produced rubbish. If you want a proper job pasty go online there are some companies down here producing proper ones frozen and delivered to your door. 

:good:

Ginsters are OK for a cheap handy snack.

Have quite recently had the best pasty ever and that includes the monster from the Norway Arms in Perranarworthal back in '66. Stopped in Newquay a few weeks back and picked it up from a local bakery. I was back at the car fiddling and 'er indoors got them but can't remember the bakery name - came in a orangey coloured bag - well worth looking out for.

That said, it's well known that a cornish pasty had a crust for a given reason, but what was in it meat wise? What would a coastal living miner have had in his?

2 minutes ago, wymberley said:

Have quite recently had the best pasty ever and that includes the monster from the Norway Arms in Perranarworthal back in '66. Stopped in Newquay a few weeks back and picked it up from a local bakery. I was back at the car fiddling and 'er indoors got them but can't remember the bakery name - came in a orangey coloured bag - well worth looking out for.

That said, it's well known that a cornish pasty had a crust for a given reason, but what was in it meat wise? What would a coastal living miner have had in his?

hello, one old recipe was beef/ potato/ swede/onion, have you tried a Padstein pasty ? 

2 minutes ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

hello, one old recipe was beef/ potato/ swede/onion, have you tried a Padstein pasty ? 

I have had just about every make of pasty down here. I really rate Mary’s. The Padstein ones are good but if you are in Padstow try one from the Chough bakery.

11 minutes ago, wymberley said:

Orangey coloured bag makes me think of Rowe’s. 
Meat was and should be Skirt a cheap cut as they could not afford much else. 

7 minutes ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

Swede is turnip down here and plenty of pepper. 

1 minute ago, rimfire4969 said:

I have had just about every make of pasty down here. I really rate Mary’s. The Padstein ones are good but if you are in Padstow try one from the Chough bakery.

Orangey coloured bag makes me think of Rowe’s. 
Meat was and should be Skirt a cheap cut as they could not afford much else. 

Swede is turnip down here and plenty of pepper. 

hello, i said that in a joking way, after looking at the cost we found an independent baker

There was one ginsters done, some sort of meat feast thing, I ate my share of those. I had a pasty when we was down in Cornwall after someone recommended the place to me on here. Can't for the life of me remember the name but it was on some sort of industrial estate and we only got there with 10 minutes or so to spare due to someone's navigational errors.... 🤐

Anyway, by far and away the best pastie I've ever had, and I did try a few while we was down there. Don't think I've had a shop brought one since.

Ivor Dewdney, pasties as big as your foot, however it is a heresy as it's from Plymouth Devon. There are two good ones in Looe, on the main drag down to banjo pier, can't remember the name though.

Just googled it, Sarah's...

Edited by henry d

2 hours ago, henry d said:

Ivor Dewdney, pasties as big as your foot, however it is a heresy as it's from Plymouth Devon. There are two good ones in Looe, on the main drag down to banjo pier, can't remember the name though.

Just googled it, Sarah's...

hello, where have i heard that name before???

On 23/04/2020 at 18:03, Bobba said:

Agreed. I've been disapointed too many times.

My aunt Edith (now deceased) was a Devon girl who  was of the view that pasties were of Devon origin. She made the greatest pasties ever and gave me her recipe. It was lost in house moves and sadly I can't remember it. So, if anyone has a genuine local recipe (not one from Jamie or Delia or Mary) please post it here 🍺🍺 Thank you.

Bobba, I’ve got a great recipe.  It’s from a rick stein book but it’s a local Cornish lady;s recipe if I recall rather than his.  I’ll pull the book out and post a copy of the page later this afternoon.  Really nice pasties they are too.

26 minutes ago, Jonty said:

Bobba, I’ve got a great recipe.  It’s from a rick stein book but it’s a local Cornish lady;s recipe if I recall rather than his.  I’ll pull the book out and post a copy of the page later this afternoon.  Really nice pasties they are too.

Jonty, I look forward to it. Thanks. Bob