These Really Are Crazy Times...

WelshAndy

9 hours ago, bigbird said:

Pretty sure it’s Liam Mulcrow’s on FB, ‘Mulraven Gundogs’

Edited to say perhaps I was wrong as can’t find it again now!

Well well I live in Leigh and didn’t know about Liam, thanks for the tip off anyway 😁

2 hours ago, bigbird said:

Hmmm anywhere between £450 and £750 I reckon but FAR cheaper in Ireland, over there you’re looking at £350+

Pretty much what I thought current realistic prices are. I recently saw on one FB spaniel or gundog group that some are asking over a grand for springer pups which I thought way OTT. I currently have a small litter of home bred working strain KC Reg pups coming up 6 weeks old but it is interesting that virtually all enquiries have been from people after them for pets. "Will they make good pets?" "Will they be any good at agility?" Will they do this or that - all pet stuff.

Another issue now is the current restrictions on travel and social contact makes me very wary about enquiries from people a long way away. I'm not a breeder, the last litter I had was out of one of my Labs years ago, but I wanted a pup or two out of my springer bitch as I think she's a nice little dog, it's her first litter but I really do like to weigh potential buyers up in person and find out about experience, homes etc and I'm not getting the same vibe from phone conversations, messages, email etc. Of course when the bitch went to the stud dog C19 was virtually confined to China 😒

6 hours ago, bigbird said:

Hmmm anywhere between £450 and £750 I reckon but FAR cheaper in Ireland, over there you’re looking at £350+

Sorry,,you'll not find much  if anything at price over here,,to be fair our pups are cheaper but not that cheap.....lol

I was going to breed my ESS bitch this year, and Sod’s law she came on heat just before the lockdown.

I hesitated breeding her because, I was concerned regarding the docking of the pups tails and people coming to collect them.

I rang the vet to check if I would be able to have the pups tails docked when they are a few days old during lockdown and I was told emergency procedures only and no vaccination of the pups or chipping.

I’ll wait until this virus is over and then mate the bitch at a later safer date.

She is well bred and has many Ftch’s in her breeding and works well.

I had a litter of 7 KC registered pups from health tested parents last year out of my 5 year old bitch and was amazed how far away the people was travelling to pick a pup, and how quick they sold.

4 of the pups went to working homes and 3 went to pet homes.

If you look ,the crossbreed pups  such as Sproodles and other crosses are being sold for silly prices and are often more expensive than Kc registered health tested dogs.

1 hour ago, millrace said:

Sorry,,you'll not find much  if anything at price over here,,to be fair our pups are cheaper but not that cheap.....lol

I haven’t bought a pup from Ireland for about six years now so I’m probably a bit behind the times 😂👍

49 minutes ago, bigbird said:

I haven’t bought a pup from Ireland for about six years now so I’m probably a bit behind the times 😂👍

Well if you want to start again,,I've a 5week old girl from well known irish cocker line that you already have.........😎..........just saying......lol

Edited by millrace

1 hour ago, millrace said:

Well if you want to start again,,I've a 5week old girl from well known irish cocker line that you already have.........😎..........just saying......lol

Oh!! You went for it then!! Fab!!

Got cockers coming out of my ear’oles at the mo or would be sorely tempted 😂

Unless she’s pure black.... 🙈

Edited by bigbird

On 28/04/2020 at 10:22, bigbird said:

Pretty sure it’s Liam Mulcrow’s on FB, ‘Mulraven Gundogs’

Edited to say perhaps I was wrong as can’t find it again now!

Yes it was although wouldn’t be surprised if it’s gone already it was from very good lines and apparently is a lot better on game than dummies.

4 hours ago, Miserableolgit said:

Well, I've popped an advert up on here, we will see how it goes. I daresay someone will tell me if they think I'm way off the mark 🙂

They look nice pups mate best of luck with them :) 

I last paid £400 almost 9 years ago for my old springer. 

Recently my mate sold a litter of FTCH x OFTW pups at £600 a pup, and I bought mine for £650 and he was OFTAW X OFTW so some proper good lines, but I don’t think the lines are the be all and end all, as some lines have quirks or faults just as they have good attributes and train ability. 

Some of the ‘big names’ are asking for £1000+ for a pup but most the lads are breeding stuff to run on themselves and their prices seem to be around £6-700ish 🤷‍♂️

You could pay £1,500 for a pup and it turn out to be absolutely useless and pay £450 for a sprocker that works with the heart of a lion 😂 

Theres a good pinch of luck in it but I think go for decent breeding and you may tip the odds ... least that’s what I’m pretending to kid myself! 

18 hours ago, millrace said:

Well,if you want to amuse yourselves search "spaniel" on gumtree, no location, someone tell me where I'm going wrong and what were "all" missing.....heres the clue £2750,£2800,,£2800.......

If that's how it works I am going to stick some stuff up on Gumtree ... I am due to sell my motorbike it's worth about £1000 ... if I stuck it up for £5,000 does that mean I will get £5,000? :hmm: 

Here's something else to ponder ... I would guarantee you that those dogs are not top line breeding, and are being bred by idiots who are trying their luck ripping off the public, because anyone putting that sort of money on a puppy is not an honest and trustworthy person. Do you think the breeding behind those pups has been planned and thought out to enhance them? Or they will throw any dogs they can get together? 

18 hours ago, millrace said:

Well,if you want to amuse yourselves search "spaniel" on gumtree, no location, someone tell me where I'm going wrong and what were "all" missing.....heres the clue £2750,£2800,,£2800.......

I've just had a look at the pups priced at £2,700 ... "they are 4 months old..."  ... I wonder why they couldn't sell them at 8 weeks? :hmm: Those dogs will most likely have seperation anxiety now when they are seperated ... £2,700 for a dog that'll probably be a right pain to have ... good luck! 

I know just amazing,,the better add that may be gone was the breeder with the 3 year old who he could not manage to get a litter from this was 2800.....the mind boggles not only at the price but that someone would actually pay that amount....