First time loader

good morning all, hope everybody is safe and well.

I've posted another thread on here regarding overpower cards, but thats run off in a tangent (mainly because of my stupid questions) so thought I'd start a new one as I'm in desperate need of assistance.

The current set up I have got are as follows:-

Various 70mm eley, rose gold and RC HPF3 hulls.

Lee Load All 2

Alliant Herco powder

CCI 209 primers

18mm fibre wads

No 7 shot

The main issues I'm finding is that I didn't realise the Load All wasn't designed for fibre wads, but various members have told me they have loaded them fine, and I would like to continue this from an environmental point.

I'm also aware I need overpowder cards or wads so I'll be getting those.

My thought train so far is that I've used the data from the Alliant manual for 2 3/4 inch Fiocchi hulls, and the grain range dependant on wad (as fibre isn't listed) is between 25.5 and 26.

I've test loaded (with used primer) an Ely Hull, loaded the powder, inserted the wad, loaded the 32g of no7 shot and have a gap of 9.6mm between the top of the shot and the crease line in the cartridge, or 18.2mm total distance between the top of the shot and the opening edge of the cartridge.

My questions are, are the grain assumptions ok as ive gone with the .180 insert in the Load All which should give a projected 26.3 grain, but after several weighing checks is coming out at 24.7 grains. And do I have to make the 9.6mm gap up with overpowder cards/wads as this seems a large gap to me?

Apologies in advance for all the questions but I'm a total newbie at reloading and have scoured the net and manuals etc, but just feel a bit more confident with your expert assistance 

Many thanks!

Dan

20200424_081115.jpg

20200424_081146.jpg

20200424_081153.jpg

20200424_081210.jpg

20200424_081310.jpg

20200424_081409.jpg

20200424_081646.jpg

20200424_081808.jpg

20200424_082203.jpg

20200424_083437.jpg

2 minutes ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

hello, theres a good video by TATV on different wad materials, with a home made cutter, very neat

I've literally just watched that before you replied. Very good. Never dreamed of using standard corrugated cardboard! Now wheres all those Amazon boxes....

Thanks 

11 minutes ago, sitsinhedges said:

Just chuck in a sugar puff or weeto to make up minor stack heights for now. Rose Gold cartridges suggest Kibworth. Ard you anywhere near Kettering?

Thats exactly where the rose golds came from 👍 assume that's one of their own brands?

I'm leicester side of kibworth unfortunately but Kettering isn't far. Whys that?

1 hour ago, dansage said:

Thats exactly where the rose golds came from 👍 assume that's one of their own brands?

I'm leicester side of kibworth unfortunately but Kettering isn't far. Whys that?

Because I live in Kettering and have been loading for years. Could have shown you how once we can mix with each other again.

5 minutes ago, sitsinhedges said:

Because I live in Kettering and have been loading for years. Could have shown you how once we can mix with each other again.

And that, Mr Dansage, is exactly what you need. Face to face personal tuition. Worth a million posts on any forum.

Guest cookoff013
1 hour ago, London Best said:

And that, Mr Dansage, is exactly what you need. Face to face personal tuition. Worth a million posts on any forum.

You can say that again.

2 hours ago, kenholland said:

I only use fibre wads in my lee 2 loaded thousands , use maxam csb 5 and vectan a s for my pigeon loads 32g 6/1/2 or 5 and 6 shot mixed up which makes a good hard hitting shell .

Now that sounds like a great shell, not fast, but quality none the less! Nice choice in powder and shotweight.

• 2 weeks later...

you could just cut the shell down and use an over shot card and a roll turn over        saves all the drama of stacking everything to get a good crimp       or  use flex cell concrete  expansion joint  6" x 8 ft or an 8x4 sheet  for sweeties from a local buildbase /travis p  to cut your own wads  over shot cards from Kellogg's cornflakes/   over powder card from hardboard  8x4 sheet less than  a tenner    (a drill and a rotary cutter needed )   if needing to crimp you may need to split a felt wad ie 3 wads  for 2 shells to get a crimp with what you have available  or buy longer wads to suit your needs 

On 24/04/2020 at 14:29, dansage said:

👍

On 24/04/2020 at 13:54, kenholland said:

I only use fibre wads in my lee 2 loaded thousands , use maxam csb 5 and vectan a s for my pigeon loads 32g 6/1/2 or 5 and 6 shot mixed up which makes a good hard hitting shell .

What do you estimate your loaded cartridge is costing you? I’d love to load my own but the cost of components seems prohibitive.

18 hours ago, chip000 said:

What do you estimate your loaded cartridge is costing you? I’d love to load my own but the cost of components seems prohibitive.

not worried about cost ,I just needed to see if I could make up a load that would give me satisfaction knowing that when I shoot a pigeon that I had made myself, the main bill would be the shot , that came in at £46 7 kilo tub, clay and game prices to look at might help , o k mate.

Guest cookoff013

if you play the reloading game right -you win.

everything costs money, 

speed, costs money, 

payload costs money.

good  economy loads use powder at the top of there maximum payload. but they are not fast. 1200-1250 will do fine. take red dot. been used for 32g loads for decades. now its being used for lighter payloads at large powder charges. it costs the same amount of money. to fire a 32g load or a fast 24g load. cos powder costs alot. 

about £180/k reloads. but now maybe 200-220per k. 

cook.