Old Cartridges

I have quite a number of old cartridges including some brass that I have thought about mounting in a display case. My question is how do I stand legally for leaving the cartridges live or will I have to deactivate them somehow. My gut instinct tells me to deactivate them in case I get bored  and want to get rid some time in the future. Thanks in advance.

You can legally possess shotgun cartridges without a certificate. No problem at all.

only issue is if they have less than a certain amount of pellets of a certain size, then a firearm license is required to possess them. Would need to double check but it’s something like 5 or less pellets with something like a size of .36”???

so normal buck shot or bird shot but not single slug type 

If you do think of getting rid in the future they will be worth that little bit more of left live.

Mounting, depending on how it's done can lessen the value, I see alot displays come up for sale but the vast majority of the cartridge's on them aren't worth squat. I wouldn't mount any of my valuable ones. 

Thanks for the replies gents. To be honest I wouldn't know whats valuable Farmboy91 as I only collect them as curios. I started collecting different Eley cartridges but was fortunate enough to be in the right place at the right time and bought about 4000 cartridges of mixed origin. After a lot of sorting I ended up with .410  28 bore  20 bore 16 bore and loads of 12 bore. A lot of the twelves I put through my s/s after careful sorting but the complete boxes and oddments I keep. It seems a shame to keep them in a box and I have been trying to figure the best way to display them. I have tried to convince the bride of 40 years they would look great on a shelf in the living room .She didn't seem convinced and said something about a wheelie bin....Women eh... 

20191127_172215.jpg

20191127_173101.jpg

14 minutes ago, royden said:

Thanks for the replies gents. To be honest I wouldn't know whats valuable Farmboy91 as I only collect them as curios. I started collecting different Eley cartridges but was fortunate enough to be in the right place at the right time and bought about 4000 cartridges of mixed origin. After a lot of sorting I ended up with .410  28 bore  20 bore 16 bore and loads of 12 bore. A lot of the twelves I put through my s/s after careful sorting but the complete boxes and oddments I keep. It seems a shame to keep them in a box and I have been trying to figure the best way to display them. I have tried to convince the bride of 40 years they would look great on a shelf in the living room .She didn't seem convinced and said something about a wheelie bin....Women eh... 

20191127_172215.jpg

20191127_173101.jpg

That's a nice collection 👍

To be honest I collect for exactly the same reason, I've just been given a few over the last couple years that turned out to be worth something. 

Picking up 4000 at once is a right result haha. Im trying to stick to local cartridges and full boxes now as I'm running out of storage space. I've got half a dozen of my favourites on display but when we move I plan on having a few more out. 

Maybe you could suggest a shelf above the bed instead 😂

Never shot any Hull Chevron or the  Eley Maximum.....I only have full boxes and it seems a shame to split em😄  maybe when ive got through the odds and **** I might give them a go. I did mention a shelf in the bedroom as suggested but she didn't seem too keen.

The consideration that I would bear in mind is that live cartridges contain powder which is a risk were there to be a fire in that room. Not from being shot....that's not a risk at all....but of the powder accelerating the fire. It's easy enough to de-powder cartridges by inserting a sharpened hollow tube just above the metal head an making a hole in the cartridge. Then tip the powder out. A bonus is that you can then use a dowel of the same diameter as a peg to mount the cartridge in your display board if you drill its back. The primer if needed can be usually successfully neutralised by a squirt of oil down its flash hole.

Edited by enfieldspares

• 2 weeks later...
On 24/04/2020 at 19:07, royden said:

20191127_172215.jpgIntrigued in what exactly is in those red Eley boxes... any chance of another picture of the contents? Have you got any unusual 16 bore cartridges also? Always on the look out

20191127_173101.jpg

As requested busbiter. Cant remember opening these before but didn't expect what I found.

20200504_185532.jpg

Don't know if these are the correct cartridges for these boxes even though I have two the same  but I thought they would have had Eley on the headstamp.

20200504_185444.jpg

20 minutes ago, royden said:

As requested busbiter. Cant remember opening these before but didn't expect what I found.

20200504_185532.jpg

Don't know if these are the correct cartridges for these boxes even though I have two the same  but I thought they would have had Eley on the headstamp.

20200504_185444.jpg

£2.50, bargain! 

Try taking a screenshot of the original photo then uploading it 👍

1 hour ago, royden said:

Thanks for the suggestion Farmboy91 but you are trying to teach a near Neanderthal to fiddle with a keyboard so please excuse the next giant size picture I manage to get on. And yes I would buy them all day at that price..lol

😂

I'm no better.

That option only works on the phone, the other way I have found round it is to send the pictures to my partner and her sending them back to me, for some reason they shrink during the process. So she currently has a 101 pictures of guns and cartridges etc on her phone.

I've got some plastic Eley grand prix's that a priced at £3.02, if only we had a time machine eh? 

Looking forward to your next post 👍

Edited by Farmboy91

34 minutes ago, Farmboy91 said:

😂

I'm no better.

That option only works on the phone, the other way I have found round it is to send the pictures to my partner and her sending them back to me, for some reason they shrink during the process. So she currently has a 101 pictures of guns and cartridges etc on her phone.

I've got some plastic Eley grand prix's that a priced at £3.02, if only we had a time machine eh? 

Looking forward to your next post 👍

Download the free app. Photo & Picture Resizer  ,select the picture you want tap 50%  then when you want to upload one just select from file job done

These are a few more cartridges from my collection. The small one sitting on top of the 16 bore Eley Grand Prix is a centre fire paper case that is smaller than a .410 ..could it be 9mm. Also does anyone know of any books that may be helpful in identifying and dating some of the cartridges available. Thanks.

20200504_190353 (2)_opt.jpg

cartridges 2.jpg

cartridges.jpg

Nice 👍 

Cartridge's of the British isles by Ken Rutterford is a great book to start with, it has 100's and 100's of black and white drawings and designs. 

A century of the history of shotgun cartridges by Guy n Smith looks good too. I haven't got a copy yet but I was talking to one of the main contributors a little while back and from what he was saying it contains a lot of colour photos. 

On 05/05/2020 at 22:22, royden said:

These are a few more cartridges from my collection. The small one sitting on top of the 16 bore Eley Grand Prix is a centre fire paper case that is smaller than a .410 ..could it be 9mm. Also does anyone know of any books that may be helpful in identifying and dating some of the cartridges available. Thanks.

20200504_190353 (2)_opt.jpg

cartridges 2.jpg

cartridges.jpg

Sent you PM