Mole with a sense of humour

Help......

I seem to have acquired a mole with a sense of humour and it is driving me insane.

Last year we had a similar problem as the little ****** was digging up our back garden. I got a company in to sort it out and it cost a fortune but they did the job. The bloke from the pest control company said don’t pay these sort of amounts, there must be someone local who catches moles. So at the local, I had a chat and one bloke said he did it himself and dropped round a scissor trap late last year.

Over the last month, a mole is back and destroying our front garden so I set the trap. First couple of attempts, nothing but that was probably down to me not setting it properly, a bit of daylight getting in, not quite in the run etc. Spoke to a bloke at work who had had the same problem last year and he mentioned the trap needs to be snug in the hole between one side of the tunnel and the other. So tried again. I set the trap making sure it was snug and no way out for the velvety coated *******. Got up the next morning and there was a new mole hill with the trap proudly displayed at the top of it and not triggered. To say I was a bit ****** off would be an understatement. Not to be disheartened, I reset the trap in another run only for the same thing to happen again. Once again I set the trap in yet another run. I could not contain my joy when I went out the following morning to see the trap had been sprung in amongst another molehill, only to find no dead mole

Yesterday I set the trap again and today a new mole hill and the trap, not sprung, sitting proudly on top of it as if he had dug around it and the pushed the trap up with an air of **** you, 

I have either got a bionic mole who thinks he is funny or I am doing something basically wrong..I kind of think it’s the latter, so please can anyone out there help me as it is driving me to distraction and our front garden is resembling the Somme 

Any suggestions warmly welcomed

Thank you

LPG is also pretty effective but tends to dig your garden up for you and would propbably see armed response mit helicopter etc.

Are you setting this trap in a run or where a mole heap is.   I'm no expert but my grandfather was and he would probe the ground with an old knitting needle until he found a run away from  hills. He would then very carefully prepare the hole and rub some crushed lob worms on the mechanism/trip, not a lot just enough to leave a scent. He always rubbed his hands in the lob worms as well as he said moles have amazing scenting ability. Make sure the light is well blocked out.

Yes the shotgun system does work but according to your location you might expect to hear sirens and the thump thump thump of rotor blades as well.

Edited by Walker570

You may be leaving a scent on the trap so mole detects it.  The jaws may be set narrower than the tunnel,  mole bumps into it and digs around it. Seen and had it done many times. 

Try barrel traps, the covered top holds soil better than scissor types. Putange types work very well but take a few goes to get right.

As London best said, shoot it on the third push as it'll be up inside the hill. Knock a few hills flat and wait.  The old wife's tale says they throw at 3pm.

Good luck. 

Edited by clumber

Thanks for all the advice. Yep set the trap in the tunnels and not in the mole hill, I use gloves so shouldn’t be a scent and apart from the first couple of times there is no daylight. Will keep persevering.

I won’t be back on this forum anymore because the PC police have given me a warning not to swear even though I was very careful not to actually use swear words. What I wrote was not homophobic, racist or anything else that would have caused offence. I am sick to death of this ridiculous PC world in which we live in where we have to be so careful not to upset the delicate senses of other people, even though the majority of people on this forum are like minded. I was up under the impression this forum was a bit better than that but obviously not.

Best wishes to everyone and hope your shooting is straight and keep your powder dry and to the moderators, you really need to take a look at what you are doing. Shame on you

Have a look at the video section and do a site Search. Retired copper who moved to France spent his time catching moles. Put. Cracking video up of him setting them and how he done it.

Found it, different trap but same principle, hope it helps.

Wonder where UK Poacher went?

Edited by figgy

5 hours ago, Hammeronhammeroff said:

Thanks for all the advice. Yep set the trap in the tunnels and not in the mole hill, I use gloves so shouldn’t be a scent and apart from the first couple of times there is no daylight. Will keep persevering.

I won’t be back on this forum anymore because the PC police have given me a warning not to swear even though I was very careful not to actually use swear words. What I wrote was not homophobic, racist or anything else that would have caused offence. I am sick to death of this ridiculous PC world in which we live in where we have to be so careful not to upset the delicate senses of other people, even though the majority of people on this forum are like minded. I was up under the impression this forum was a bit better than that but obviously not.

Best wishes to everyone and hope your shooting is straight and keep your powder dry and to the moderators, you really need to take a look at what you are doing. Shame on you

Well i've just read your post and can't for the life of me see what's wrong with it 

If the erasions on your post are by the computer then I can see why you have been spoken to.  If you put them in to cover up the obvious swear words then not such a problem but to be honest regardless I don't think the expletives add to your contribution.  Hope you sort your moles out. 

As a kid on the farm I used to trap moles and skin them.

Always buried new traps for a few weeks to season  them first (same with snares).

Attention to detail is what works. Carefully clear the mole hill to one side, clear out the tunnel on each side of the hole so it's a free run. Its surprising how fast a mole can travel till its stopped by loose soil which is a danger sign to it.  Set the trap so the mole will be well inside it before triggering. Also make sure its deep enough and fully in line with the run. Put back only the finest soil from the hill. Like you had sieved it.

I used to cure the skins with salt before selling them locally for 3d each. (3d is 1p in today's europise currency.) In a good day I could make 5/-