SX4 3.5 ok with light loads?

shootingmike

I’m deliberating between SX4’s and Franchi Affinity’s and keep going back and forth. Most of my shooting is 3” steel at wildfowl. I like the idea of the franchi, but am drawn to the SX4 as it seems they’ve thought about Fowler’s more (back bored,  bottom threaded chokes, oversized controls).

All the SX4’s I see are 3.5 inch apart from the wood stock which I don’t want. Does anyone who has one have any issues with ounce loads for clays or 1&1/8 for pigeons?

i know I need to shoulder both really but just wondering....

I am no expert Mike but i had a 3 1/2 inch sx3 and it wouldnt cycle under 32 gms i also had a 3 inch sx2 that would cycle anything in a 70 mm case ,having said that the sx3 was fairly worn out when i got it ,i have just put a deposit on the Affinity as i never use 3 1/2 inch steel  and they look good value for money very similar to a Benelli so im told.

On 25/04/2020 at 16:48, Gerry78 said:

My browning A5 3 1/2 inch chamber won’t cycle light loads I think most 3 1/2 inch semi autos probably the same 

Until recently, my Beretta Xtrema reliably cycled any cartridge that fit inside it.

On 25/04/2020 at 13:57, holloway said:

I am no expert Mike but i had a 3 1/2 inch sx3 and it wouldnt cycle under 32 gms i also had a 3 inch sx2 that would cycle anything in a 70 mm case ,having said that the sx3 was fairly worn out when i got it ,i have just put a deposit on the Affinity as i never use 3 1/2 inch steel  and they look good value for money very similar to a Benelli so im told.

Enjoy your Affinity, I love mine, crackin gun.

6 hours ago, lancer425 said:

The until recently aspect of your post . Developed a fault? Sold? Not been using it? It just got me curious that is all.

I have recently purchased an A350, so my Xtrema hasn't been used for a while. It had started to play up, maybe jamming once in 25 shots, which isn't good enough. This is down to one or two factors, not least a small crack on the bolt slide rail. It has been a very reliable gun for the last 10 years or so. It may yet be repaired.

3 hours ago, motty said:

I have recently purchased an A350, so my Xtrema hasn't been used for a while. It had started to play up, maybe jamming once in 25 shots, which isn't good enough. This is down to one or two factors, not least a small crack on the bolt slide rail. It has been a very reliable gun for the last 10 years or so. It may yet be repaired.

Thanks for the explanation, i was just interested to hear what had occurred, i have seen the extremas  take some serious work over the years and they generally are reliable. Thanks.

I have a SX3 and never had a problem with shooting 2.5 inch loads that i use in my antique SXS guns up to 3.5 inch waterfowl heavy shot.. my experience is the 70mm shells deliver excellent paterns and the 3.5 inch loads are unplesant to shoot.  as an aside comercial Dove loads are typically full 3 Dram loads and are not what I would consider Lite loads. and are a bit of overkill in my opinion. lighter loads work fine on Doves

If you run a SX3 or 4 with oil on the ide rails and recoil spring it should cycle decent 24 g clayoads no problems. I used to run all sorts through my sx3. 

People try to run them dry, you need big loads to do that.

Nitty is the crack in the aluminium action slide rail or the steel bolt itself? The metal bolt should weld and work fine.