Angle Grinder discs for metal

steve_b_wales

Just had a text from him....fastco.co.uk  purchased a lot of stuff from them and he says excellent service. The last pack of 25 thin discs where £12 and they do all sorts of similar stuff.

Just had a look myself and they are still offered at £12 for 25 inc vat.  Will be ordering a bunch of stuff and postage freeover £12

Edited by Walker570

19 minutes ago, washerboy said:

I can dig out my health and safety bomph if it helps. I've done my grinding wheel regulation teacher training 😊

With some of the advice above best you do that pronto 😣

Cheap discs could mean a quick trip to A&E after they've fragmented and done some awful damage,,,, trust me, I've seen it 😧

Never buy cheap discs,,,, they're cheap for a reason,,,, trying to get rid of old out of date stock is one example. And always buy from a reputable supplier, and check the details stamped into the central metal ring 👍

I use a lot of discs and the worst ones were off the bay, they were cheap but wore super quick. 

Had some polish ones off amazon which were quite good and most recent ones were hilka which I only bought because the price for 5 were the same as for a tin of 10 and hate getting ones in a tin and chucking the tins out! They have been pretty good for budget discs. 

Strangly the last pack of Norton ones were terrible but could have been a bad batch as all the ones before have been great.

I'm using discs I've had for about 15 years, stored well and no issues.

I know they have dates, grinding discs are well made and strong. The thin 1mm thick slitting discs can be very dangerous.

Buy a reputable make, they'll be doing 10,000 rpm. Norton or garryson or similar brand.

I always use whatever is cheap, be very careful with the super fine cutting discs as if your workpiece moves as the cut completes and squeezes the disc they can shatter spectacularly.

Generally where possible I use the angle grinder for grinding and a reciprocating saw instead of cutting discs. Faster and safer. 

I must have used thousands of them over the years , and never knew that they could go out of date. I've never had a problem with a disc , even when I've been a bit too heavy handed , but , I did see a disc shatter on a 9 inch grinder that my mate was using , he was using it without the guard and it left him with a couple of fingers hanging off .

If you want to talk frightening, the small chainsaw discs, for carving wood, make my bum twitch. 

Most diy shops will sell decent discs Steve,  just make sure that you use the right disc for the job in hand ,and always , keep the guard on the grinder , and Wear gloves and glasses /face shield .