Baikal Hushpower 410

jimbob12

Hi everyone,

I’m hoping someone can advise me if they are aware of a baikal hushpower 410 single shot shotgun being released without any porting in the barrel 🤔 

Ive just unscrewed the outer casing off my suppressor  to expose the barrel and discovered there are no porting holes in the barrel at all. It appears to just rely on the baffles in the last 5 - 6” of the suppressor. 

I’ve just started reloading 410 cartridges and after viewing posts on the fibre or plastic wad debate I thought I’d have a look at the barrel porting but couldn’t find any 😳

Is it later models that don’t have any porting?

Thanks in advance

James

Thanks for your replies guys.

I am going to err on the side of caution and use fibre wads. I am going to use the load data on the Folkestone engineering services (kent) reloading site (John has been a great help 👍).  I couldn’t get hold of vectan sp3 but I managed to get ramshot enforcer. There are a couple of loads for this powder with a fibre wad but there are a few more options using plastic. 

I was interested to see if anyone else had come across the lack of porting on the barrel??

Thanks

Jim

On 25/04/2020 at 22:40, jimbob12 said:

Hi everyone,

I’m hoping someone can advise me if they are aware of a baikal hushpower 410 single shot shotgun being released without any porting in the barrel 🤔 

Ive just unscrewed the outer casing off my suppressor  to expose the barrel and discovered there are no porting holes in the barrel at all. It appears to just rely on the baffles in the last 5 - 6” of the suppressor. 

I’ve just started reloading 410 cartridges and after viewing posts on the fibre or plastic wad debate I thought I’d have a look at the barrel porting but couldn’t find any 😳

Is it later models that don’t have any porting?

Thanks in advance

James

hello, interesting post, what made you think there were porting holes ? that would add a greater cost to these hushpower type shotguns, as you mention the baffles being in the last 6 inches is there any need for the extra long tube over the barrel, maybe that is why saddlery and guns now have their modified muzzle fitting silencers, i suppose an interesting experiment would be to test the sound report of one with the full length over barrel against the shortened version that screws on barrel or a specially made screw in choke, if there is no difference then it seems logical not to have the extra weight of steel tubing and make shooting these less front heavy, only my opinion but its like having a 2 barrel shotgun with a 6 inch muzzle suppressor, rather a short barrel with the add on suppressor much more favourable,

Edited by oldypigeonpopper

Bought  a  Hushpower single shot  Baikel 410 4years ago at the time of purchase I was  advised to only use felt wads cos the plastic wads would foul the    barrel ports .A friend bought one with the can type suppressor on the end of the barrel I like how  the hushpower full length suppressor gun handles better than the can type .Must say I have had some great outings with the 410 around the cattle sheds on the jackdaws skemis  and rats.  

So between my mate and i we have had 3 sadlery and gun room baikal. 410 hushpowers  .all three have been ported with 2 rows of 5   4mm ish holes in the bore under the mod .one of these guns had the soild aluminium "baffel stack " the other 2 had the steel washer type stack  .

The washer type being slightly  quieter ..

The last of these  guns my mate bought  started shaving bits of plas wad  due to the porting  .they ended up migrating into the block stopping the gun from closing properly  .

He  the had a accidental discharge .on closing the gun . (Safe direction ) good muzzle control .bits of plas wad was to blame ..Now we also feel that the porting robs the .410 cart of muzzle energy and limits the range a bit (5 - 10 yds ) 

He got rid of this gun and bought a standard baikal and fitted a s&g add on  9 inch mod .its possible to reflex this mod somewhat shortening the overall length  .

The gun is a touch louder than the older full length shrouded and ported one at the muzzle  .walk 50 yds away and you cant tell the difference ..we know this because he had both before he sold the ported one .

This new gun is plenty quiet enough .shorter than the full shroud .lighter and kills better .

Convincing argument .eh ? 

Ps my yildiz is a single shot floder with add on mod and is quiet enough and kills really well .

On 27/04/2020 at 08:11, Remimax said:

does your 410 have a full length moderator if so they are usually ported/row of holes drilled in barrel, otherwise no point having the long tube to bleed off gas.

Yep, it’s the full length moderator. That’s why I’m so surprised that the barrel hasn’t got any porting holes drilled in it? Very strange! 

7 hours ago, jimbob12 said:

I bought it from a local gun shop A few years ago and they are closed at present due to the lockdown. I have emailed saddlery and gunroom but they can’t help at present due to current circs. 

hello, that is understandable, but if it originally came from the latter company i would get it sent back via the Rfd, if it should have been ported  or maybe they just bought the moderator and fitted themselves over the normal barrel,  

31 minutes ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

hello, i did say IF it should have been done, but on a previous post i questioned if they are ported or not

hello, i read one of your previous posts Ultrastu,  April 2019 and agree going by statistics you do not realy need the single barrels ported but just an add on hushpower silencer