Antimony

I think this is used in the water industry. Might be worth popping on your complete face mask - to comply with government regulations and go look at your local water treatment works 🔫😁

Just looked on theBay https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1kg-High-Purity-99-9-Antimony-Sb-Metal-Block-Ingot-UK-/233418007055.

I don't use it so can't really help.

9 minutes ago, rem708 said:

I think this is used in the water industry. Might be worth popping on your complete face mask - to comply with government regulations and go look at your local water treatment works 🔫😁

Just looked on theBay https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1kg-High-Purity-99-9-Antimony-Sb-Metal-Block-Ingot-UK-/233418007055.

I don't use it so can't really help.

Thats brilliant thanks 😊 

5 minutes ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

hello, do you mix that with lead?  making shot ?

hello and yes. Going to try a 3% ally with a touch of tin as well. Just going to play with the hardness as obviously raw lead is too soft.

Linotype contains antimony. About 13% I think. Use Lyman's "pig pen" alloy calculator (as it looks like a cattlemarket pig pen apparently) to work out how much lead you'll need to mix it with. Also old style wheelweights do too. But they are a PITA as you have to melt it to get the clips out and all the muck they've accumulated. 

Pig Pen Calculator

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Y0raK6_Vbk

Edited by enfieldspares

6 minutes ago, enfieldspares said:

Linotype contains antimony. About 13% I think. Use Lyman's "pig pen" alloy calculator (as it looks like a cattlemarket pig pen apparently) to work out how much lead you'll need to mix it with. Also old style wheelweights do too. But they are a PITA as you have to melt it to get the clips out and all the muck they've accumulated. 

Pig Pen Calculator

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Y0raK6_Vbk

Thats brilliant thanks. I've heard of the old wheel weights but obviously harder to get now as they don't use lead anymore 

Just now, enfieldspares said:

Happy to help. For certain if you go the wheelweight route you must never get any of the new type in your pot as they contain, I think, zinc and other metals that give off nasty to your health fumes.

Thats what i thought and won't be going that route. I was originally going to look at the straight lead, tin and antimomy route as it looks the best quality and value, but will certainly look at linotype as well.

Thanks again

Also be extremely cautious with lead pipe! Split it if you use it as it can trap condensation which then causes a steam explosion especially if brought in from outside in Winter to a warm casting shed. Guess how I know that! Norman Clarke at Rugby (so down the Lutterworth road with a call in at the army surplus place there) sells, I think, bagged shot.

Edited by enfieldspares

Just now, enfieldspares said:

Also be extremely cautious with lead pipe! Split it if you use it as it can trap condensation which then causes a steam explosion especially if brought in from outside in Winter to a warm casting shed.

I read that somewhere else thank you. Just tring to source all the equipment now! Trying to find a cast pot isn't as easy as I thought 

37 minutes ago, dansage said:

Thats brilliant thanks 😊 

hello and yes. Going to try a 3% ally with a touch of tin as well. Just going to play with the hardness as obviously raw lead is too soft.

hello, i can put you in touch with a chap who makes a lot of home made shot, enough for about a 1000 cartridges at a time, some for clay shooting. pm if interested

4 minutes ago, snow white said:

How much lead you got to melt

About 50kg

6 minutes ago, Vince Green said:

Pure antimony wont just mix in if you add it to lead, it will just float on the top. You need type alloy

Will it not if used with tin and a bit of flux. This video looks very good and full of information to me? But obviously I could be wrong.

Yes. With WYSIWYG in printing linotype is like hen's teeth. I used to buy it, when I cast commercially, a metric tonne per delivery from Wilson & Jubb in Leeds. But they are long gone now. Don't use soldering flux. The vapour it gives off will cause anything ferrous in your casting shed to rust! Use a piece of candle about the size of a broad bean or a piece of casting resin or tallow. All will "flame" so be aware and take suitable care. Casting resin can usually nowadays be found on eBay. Tallow I used to buy from a ironmonger in Birmingham near Lincoln Jeffries place. Summer Lane/Lower Loveday Street area.

Edited by enfieldspares

21 minutes ago, snow white said:

I use tea candles to clean my lead just put one in lead when hot enough it will flame up for a minute keep stirring and all the **** will float on the top skim of and your ready to go

Perfect thank you! 

27 minutes ago, dodgyrog said:

I have a couple of hundred kilos of linotype. Maybe I could help?

Pmd you 👍

Individual pieces of type are a harder alloy than linotype metal. Its called monotype and contains a bit more antimony. You need some tin to make the alloy flow nicely generally.

Linotype got remelted over and over again in the hot metal typesetting machines until it degraded 

Linotype is getting increasingly harder to get hold so for moderate loads in the 44 i use range lead as its in abundance-which is ok if you're prepared to put the work in by sieving the sand and add a little linotype. When i cast for the 45/70 i use my stash of linotype and mix with solder (either plumbers or electrical) to make a super hard lead because they're hot loads.

Never used antimony but im going to try it at some point.