Rumours of gun confiscation

rayo

As the title says I’ve been told today that someone decoying pigeon in the Durham area during lockdown have had their gun confiscated by the police I don’t know how true this is or the circumstances but I was under the impression that decoying under crop protection guidelines was permitted  . I think I would be on edge if I was to go decoying during this pandemic so haven’t bothered and will enjoy it more when we get back to normality 

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 minutes ago, old'un said:

Is this what you are referring to? if so, they were shooting on land where they did not have permission….https://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/news/18366670.police-revoke-shotgun-licences-two-men-caught-shooting-ripon-countryside/

I heard it was Durham area but the person that told me had heard it off someone else so it could well be that case 

Shooting is permitted - IF and ONLY IF the landowner has specifically requested it. You can't just be going past your permission, see a few pigeons / jackdaws on new sowings, and decide to rock up and shoot a few

Virtually every police force has made that perfectly clear.

I've been requested to do some fox control on a sheep farm - I told the farmer that I needed the request in writing, or at the minimum as a text message I can show to the police

My FLO told me two People  had been arrested in Nottinghamshire for similar  guns confiscated and Nottinghamshire are going for revocation of tickets 😬

I asked derbyshire about rabbit control on a small market garden site that’s having a problem, Derbyshire said ok, but as the Market Garden is in Nottinghamshire they warned me.

So I phoned Nottinghamshire police firearms department and was told no it’s not allowed in their area.

i didn’t take the risk 

the owner also phoned Nottinghamshire police and was also told no 

Edited by Modafinale

9 minutes ago, Modafinale said:

My FLO told me two People  had been arrested in Nottinghamshire for similar  guns confiscated and Nottinghamshire are going for revocation of tickets 😬

I asked derbyshire about rabbit control on a small market garden site that’s having a problem, Derbyshire said ok, but as the Market Garden is in Nottinghamshire they warned me.

So I phoned Nottinghamshire police firearms department and was told no it’s not allowed in their area.

i didn’t take the risk 

the owner also phoned Nottinghamshire police and was also told no 

I can find nothing in the press about the incident your FLO told you about, which I find odd considering the lockdown.

How recent was this?

29 minutes ago, Modafinale said:

No one here’s heard anything either, but why would he lie and tell me to check the situation with Nottinghamshire ?

or are you saying I’ve made it up, in which case why would I . I’ve nothing to gain .

read my post again.

Where did I say he had made it up (lies), or where did I say you had made it up???

All the same, I still find it odd that the police have no records of this incident on their website, or nothing in the press, after all, when its gun related and people are arrested and guns confiscated its usually front page news.

Could be your FLO has had a case of “Send three and fourpence”

Edited by old'un

28 minutes ago, Modafinale said:

I’ve not got the hump  👍🏻

No problems mate. :good:

Is it possible that the arrests and gun confiscation that your FLO told you about were referring to the one in the article above? and not Nottinghamshire police force.

That’s a question by the way. :)

10 minutes ago, lancer425 said:

:lol: It seems some are just not going to be happy about what they can and can not do in this Lock down, until they or some other person gets their Licence revoked.

Quite, and some don’t mention it on here at all, they just go out and shoot. 

4 hours ago, rayo said:

As the title says I’ve been told today that someone decoying pigeon in the Durham area during lockdown have had their gun confiscated by the police I don’t know how true this is or the circumstances but I was under the impression that decoying under crop protection guidelines was permitted  . I think I would be on edge if I was to go decoying during this pandemic so haven’t bothered and will enjoy it more when we get back to normality 

Durham police website says crop protection is Ok..

21 minutes ago, FOXHUNTER1 said:

25/03/2020

Shooting vermin alone for the purpose of protecting crops and livestock will be permitted.
Shooting for pleasure and/or in groups of two or more will not.

From Durham Police website ....

clear as a bell even the scaremongers can understand that lol