That made me jump

rayo

Just now, walshie said:

I don't know if there's more than usual around at the moment. I've not seen one round here till 2 days ago when it was eating birdseed from under the feeder. 

With the reduced human presence on our streets it's likely they are becoming bolder. They may also have to move further afield to seek out food as many of their traditional eateries will have dried up. No pubs or restaurants  throwing out food for them to scavenge.

I had a rat in the garden going in and out of the flower bed for the last 2 weeks and on one evening it actually came up against the glass of the patio door.

I set a few baited traps and a cage trap, but couldn’t catch it.

The rat could have been shot with the air rifle on a few occasions, but my neighbour is such a funny so and so, It just wasn’t worth the hassle.

I changed the bait in the trap with a piece of cooked sausage and caught it this morning.

On measuring the rat, it measured 16” nose to tail and had a 9” body.

This was the second biggest I’ve ever caught as I used to regularly catch rats with the terriers by smoking them and the terriers catching them.

17” nose to tail was the biggest I caught and I sadly had the last of my terriers die back in November at the age of 15.

He was a brilliant dog up until the day he died, but sadly no more terriers for me.

I was shooting  Rats in a stable yard one night. I'd put down a punctured tin of dog meat and was stood behind a wheely bin next to a stable door. Three Rats, one ofter the other , ran out from under the stable door, over my boots and into a stable on the other side of the yard. Glad I had trousers on with tied twisters at the bottom. Stopped anything getting in, or leaking out😨