Ionophore agent intoxication

Docleo

Just a warning about something I had no clue about, before today. 

Saturday morning went downstairs in the living room around 7.30 am where Milo (2 and half yo spaniel) sleeps. Found my best friend completely unable to move, both hind and fore limbs flaccid, not able to sit or stand on his feet.  The evening before, Friday, he was completely fine. Needles to say, I was panicking, and called the emergency vet. Diagnosis after examination: vertebral disc disease, referred to the vet hospital for MRI scan and possibly surgery.

Few hours later nothing abnormal found with MRI, so no vertebral disc disease. Further investigations revealed no signs of inflammation or infection in the blood or spinal cord. No problems with nervous conduction in the spinal cord.

In the evening, Milo was still paralyzed with no treatments given apart from fluids and pain killers. The vets had no clear explanations for what was going on, only a list with 3-4 possibilities. 

After an almost slepless night, this morning, Sunday, the vet called at 9.30 with the best possible news, she told me Milo COMPLETELY RECOVERED during the night, and to go to pick him up at any time! 

Came out he was most probably intoxicated with a ionophore agent (a medication given to cows) and was very lucky because the symptoms were relatively mild. The vet  told me they had another dog with same symptoms who was walked the same area where I walk Milo (near to a dairy farm).

Did you ever heard of this before?

I'm so happy to have my best mate back home with me!

19 minutes ago, B725 said:

Glad to hear your dog is ok, do you know how the dog ingested the medication.

Apparently from my farming friend it is an additive to improve weight gain in beef cattle. 

update... not hormone but widely used in beef and poultry and already added to other supplements to feed stuffs.

Edited by Walker570