Specsavers ???.

samboy

Hi gang. 

I phoned the above on Friday for a pair of prescription varifocal sunglasses.

I was quoted £228 using my existing frames and £200 for for a pair with new frames. 

Gave me some waffle about the new frames have a discount. Think l'll be going elsewhere.

Edited by samboy

Wife used to go to Tesco and was happy until vision express took the optician part over.

Worst glasses and service I've had, wife wasn't best pleased with her glasses years ago.

When you find a good specs place best stick to it.

I needed safety reading glasses for work, talked I to variafocals. Hit my head on scaffolding and nearly fell down stair with them. They were not set in right place on lens. Three goes later I gave up.

Specsavers were good if away from home and glasses broke.

Go to Boots.

Went to Specsavers in Staines-upon-Thames last year for an eye-test.   Was suspicious as they seemed desperately keen to get to the sales pitch to upgrade my reading glasses for a new prescription.   Went to Boots the same day, and guess what?  Boots said my current glasses are fine - no need to change.

Go figure - one firm is in the business of selling stuff with medical professional business ethics in a very distinct 2nd place and the other operates with integrity having paid the fee one get's professional advice and no hidden agenda.  

Edited by Cosmicblue

58 minutes ago, dodgy dave said:

when you buy online you need to send you prescription also distance between your eyes witch they they do not give you how do you get over that

I sent my original specs and they took the measurement from those. Last year I bought some prescription shooting glasses, I had to take a selfie with a ruler held against my forehead and send that. I was a little nervous but they work a treat.

1 hour ago, dodgy dave said:

when you buy online you need to send you prescription also distance between your eyes witch they they do not give you how do you get over that

That is called PD (pupil distance), for most people the measurement is within a mill or so. There are various ways to get this measurement and this google link gives you some methods. https://www.google.co.uk/search?source=hp&ei=GBOoXuOyKMqWaKCkqYAI&q=how+to+measure+pd&oq=how+to+measure+pd&gs_lcp=CgZwc3ktYWIQAzICCAAyAggAMgIIADICCAAyAggAMgIIADICCAAyAggAMgIIADICCAA6BQgAEIMBUOACWOAlYLw0aABwAHgAgAH_AogBkBGSAQc5LjUuMS4ymAEAoAEBqgEHZ3dzLXdpeg&sclient=psy-ab&ved=0ahUKEwjjnozrgYvpAhVKCxoKHSBSCoAQ4dUDCAk&uact=5