Summer squirrels

stuartyboy

Yes, I find actually with all the greenery and leaf on the trees in the summer its the only way to get them into a shooting position. I also pop a trail camera by my feeding stations to monitor what time and how many squirrels are visiting so I know when is best to plan a sit out with the rifle. A bit of peanut butter spread on the trees by the feeder also works wanders.

I have six flip top feeders and they are kept topped up with feed year round.  Lace it with a bit of powdered linseed and the only low spells are due to the local residents being shot out and then a week or two before more move in.  Of course this lockdown is not helping.  I also have seven live catch cages in my wood which have peanut feeders incorporated.

I actually only get summer visitors in my wood, mostly young ones looking for new areas.  They last about 48hrs max.   The only time I see any drop off in feeder visits is when the hazels start to drop...end Sept into October and then they are busy back and forth burying nuts.   Where I shoot on pheasant feders they are there year round but you have to be able to get up in the morning. 

• 3 weeks later...

Noticed today a male scoffing it's self silly on unripe sloes within 10yds of my boundary and feeder set up. This with fat balls, mixed seed and peanuts laced with aniseed and peanut butter. It was on the sloes for half an hour and never stopped feeding.