Electric Fence

walshie

The dog will learn to avoid a simple fence in an instance and once bitten will keep away even with the electric off.  You can stop a badger with two lines parallel and horizontal to each other, fairly close to the ground rather than as a fence. Whilst the wires give a shock to the touch your shoes or wellies acting as insulators reduce the impact. If you want to feel the real impact put one hand on the floor and touch it with the other. Maybe get someone to withess it just in case you need cpr afterwards. 

Edited by oowee

On 03/05/2020 at 17:50, oowee said:

If you want to feel the real impact put one hand on the floor and touch it with the other.

Or, in my case one time, stand in a ditch with the water coming over your boots trying to clear a blockage, and accidentally push down one of the wires on the fence behind you with the top end of the wet pinch bar.

My first thought was that someone must have belted me across the back with with a shovel.

One last question (probably). :) The fence won't be making a circuit, it will be in a straightish line from point A to point B, probably about 150-200 yards long. Does it matter where I connect the power? Does it have to be at one end or can it be in the middle? 

Edited by walshie

16 hours ago, walshie said:

One last question (probably).  The fence won't be making a circuit, it will be in a straightish line from point A to point B, probably about 150-200 yards long. Does it matter where I connect the power? Does it have to be at one end or can it be in the middle? 

I put mine on anywhere I can bloody give a good kick

On 07/05/2020 at 18:44, walshie said:

One last question (probably).  The fence won't be making a circuit, it will be in a straightish line from point A to point B, probably about 150-200 yards long. Does it matter where I connect the power? Does it have to be at one end or can it be in the middle? 

Put it anywhere you like. Electric fences are simple. The only two things you have to watch are 1) the earth - the better the earth, the better the fence. 2) Shorts - you need insulators  (sawed up hard polyurethane tubing is fine) and , particularly in summer,  you have to watch for vegetation encroaching onto your live wires and shorting out the fence. Other than that there's nothing to it. As I've said up the thread,  alternated live/earthed wires get you get more bang for your buck, but they're not necessary. I ran single strand along the tops of my stone dykes and it worked fine.

Anyway, try it and see. Get your fence up, turn it on and grab a hold. If it's good enough for you, doubtless it'll be good enough for a dog or a badger! 😀

4 minutes ago, Retsdon said:

Put it anywhere you like. Electric fences are simple. The only two things you have to watch are 1) the earth - the better the earth, the better the fence. 2) Shorts - you need insulators  (sawed up hard polyurethane tubing is fine) and , particularly in summer,  you have to watch for vegetation encroaching onto your live wires and shorting out the fence. Other than that there's nothing to it. As I've said up the thread,  alternated live/earthed wires get you get more bang for your buck, but they're not necessary. I ran single strand along the tops of my stone dykes and it worked fine.

Anyway, try it and see. Get your fence up, turn it on and grab a hold. If it's good enough for you, doubtless it'll be good enough for a dog or a badger! 😀

Sounds easy enough. Cheers.