Barclays bank - i do so hate them.

PLAGUE

Coronavirus update - how we're helping you Barclays

Dear Stephen

I hope that you and your family are well. Things continue to be uncertain and I know you might have questions or concerns about money right now, so I'd like to let you know about some of the new things we've introduced to help you since I last wrote to you. These include Barclaycard payment holidays and temporary changes to reduce the cost of borrowing through an arranged overdraft.

New ways we're helping you

Our coronavirus help page is being updated regularly with the latest information, and guides to banking from home using the Barclays app1 and Online Banking. Visit our website and choose 'Coronavirus help' to find out how we can help you.

1. Barclaycard - You could be eligible for a three-month holiday on your Barclaycard payments2. Don't worry if you've already missed your most recent payment - you could still be eligible as long as you haven't missed any other payments in the previous six months. We'll continue charging interest during the payment holiday but it won't harm your credit score. Visit our coronavirus help page to see if this could be right for you.
  2. Holiday plans affected? If your plans have changed, or you're due a refund from a retailer to your Barclaycard, you can now ask us to transfer any credit balance to your bank account (UK accounts only). Visit the Barclaycard website to find out how to do this.
  3. Arranged overdrafts - Whether you already have an arranged overdraft or would like to apply for one, we're not charging interest on personal current account3 overdrafts until 30 April. Then, from 1 May to 9 July, we won't charge interest on overdrawn balances up to £750. If you use more than £750 of your arranged overdraft during this time, we'll waive some of the interest to reduce the annual rate of interest (EAR) from 35% to 19.51%, with interest charges capped at £90 per month. Check our coronavirus help page for details.

**** you - from everyone at Barclays

I appreciate the effort many of you have made to get your banking done online or with the app. Doing this instead of calling us helps us to work with customers who have financial worries that simply can't wait - so thank you for bearing with us.

The coronavirus help page on our website is the best place to find our latest updates and guides. If you do need to get in touch you can chat to us on Facebook Messenger, or follow us on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram by searching 'Barclays UK' for news and help.

Yours sincerely

Matt Hammerstein

CEO, Barclays UK

My own little edit at the end - sorry.

They haven't helped me or the wife with any help for the bed and breakfast we run,lockdown came ,we lost all our bookings, asked barclays for a loan to see us through,got told no sorry you dont meet the criteria for a loan. been with them for years,will be changing banks as soon as this lockdown is over.

still sending text messages saying that im overdrawn and to move funds,what funds you ******** ,you would give me a loan to move funds.

On a good note though looks like the government is going to back 100% loans for small rural businesses.

Years ago when the 1989 recession was hitting my dad had a load of video rental shops, a year os so before was offered millions for the business but it was doing so well he didn't take it. Fast forward to that recession and the bank was calling in everyones loans. 

They told my dad if he could give them £50,000 they would keep all his businesses going. He scraped together everything he had and paid them the money and the next week they called them in anyway. 

On the day I left school, 27th May 1977, my mother opened a bank account for me at Barclays and added fiver in, the following day, I started work and every week from then on, a fiver was added to my account, this went on for years, the more I earned, the more went in. I bought a house with my partner, the account was changed to a joint account and things carried on. There was a few incidences that shouldn't have happened and if I hadn't picked up on them and gone in to sort them out, I would have lost money.

Roll on to 2008 and a few more odd things started to happen, money would leave the account, we would be classed as overdrawn, charged a fee, then the money would reappear, no rhyme nor reason, but I had to fight to get the charges quashed and repaid. The month we had seven letters from Barclays was the last straw, we went to Santander, set up a new account and arranged a day for the changeover. This went without a hitch, all payments going out and coming in were put in place and we were happy, 12 days after the changeover, I got a call from Barclays to attend the bank as there had been an attempt to withdraw money from our account. I went to the bank, taking the previous 3 months statements and had a meeting with the manager.  The meeting was brilliant, Santander had gone about the changeover perfectly, but for some reason, someone or something within Barclays system hadn't. The manager claimed we owed them over £650 in charges, I placed the statements in front of him and I'd already highlighted the times and dates that money had been taken from out account without our permission or knowledge. I asked him to photocopy the statements and then prove that it was me or my partner who had caused the reason for the overdrawn charges, he got a minion to copy them and we left.

After 2 weeks, we'd heard nothing, so made an appointment to go a see him, well, we tried to, we were told, that as we were no longer customers, we could not have an appointment to talk to the manager, ha ha, I knew there was a problem. I then wrote to Barclays head office, outlining the issues we'd had with the local branch and manager, we got a reply, it stated that as theaccount was no longer in operation, Barclays could not answer our questions or offer advice.

It turned out a lot of people were having charges levied against them for no reason, nor could they get any sense either, the local bank lost customer after customer, eventually, it went to a 2 day week and finally closed 3 years ago. The Barclays bank in the next village, dropped to 3 days and I'm told, that will be going to 2 days shortly, because customers are leaving due to the ****ty service.

Shysters!

My bank is HSBC and I have nothing but praise for them. I have free banking with travel insurance that I have often used. With my account I can call them 24/7 from anywhere and they sort stuff, transfering money or opening up an account in europe. Excellent on line account too.

I had to take action against Santander for Mortgage errors. 

Edited by oowee

19 minutes ago, kernel gadaffi said:

On the day I left school, 27th May 1977, my mother opened a bank account for me at Barclays and added fiver in, the following day, I started work and every week from then on, a fiver was added to my account, this went on for years, the more I earned, the more went in. I bought a house with my partner, the account was changed to a joint account and things carried on. There was a few incidences that shouldn't have happened and if I hadn't picked up on them and gone in to sort them out, I would have lost money.

Roll on to 2008 and a few more odd things started to happen, money would leave the account, we would be classed as overdrawn, charged a fee, then the money would reappear, no rhyme nor reason, but I had to fight to get the charges quashed and repaid. The month we had seven letters from Barclays was the last straw, we went to Santander, set up a new account and arranged a day for the changeover. This went without a hitch, all payments going out and coming in were put in place and we were happy, 12 days after the changeover, I got a call from Barclays to attend the bank as there had been an attempt to withdraw money from our account. I went to the bank, taking the previous 3 months statements and had a meeting with the manager.  The meeting was brilliant, Santander had gone about the changeover perfectly, but for some reason, someone or something within Barclays system hadn't. The manager claimed we owed them over £650 in charges, I placed the statements in front of him and I'd already highlighted the times and dates that money had been taken from out account without our permission or knowledge. I asked him to photocopy the statements and then prove that it was me or my partner who had caused the reason for the overdrawn charges, he got a minion to copy them and we left.

After 2 weeks, we'd heard nothing, so made an appointment to go a see him, well, we tried to, we were told, that as we were no longer customers, we could not have an appointment to talk to the manager, ha ha, I knew there was a problem. I then wrote to Barclays head office, outlining the issues we'd had with the local branch and manager, we got a reply, it stated that as theaccount was no longer in operation, Barclays could not answer our questions or offer advice.

It turned out a lot of people were having charges levied against them for no reason, nor could they get any sense either, the local bank lost customer after customer, eventually, it went to a 2 day week and finally closed 3 years ago. The Barclays bank in the next village, dropped to 3 days and I'm told, that will be going to 2 days shortly, because customers are leaving due to the ****ty service.

Shysters!

Should have told them no problem, if they don't want to sort it you'll take it higher and report them. 

7 hours ago, Lloyd90 said:

Years ago when the 1989 recession was hitting my dad had a load of video rental shops, a year os so before was offered millions for the business but it was doing so well he didn't take it. Fast forward to that recession and the bank was calling in everyones loans. 

They told my dad if he could give them £50,000 they would keep all his businesses going. He scraped together everything he had and paid them the money and the next week they called them in anyway. 

What is it they say -:

'They give you an umbrella when it's sunny and take it away when it rains'

OB

10 hours ago, figgy said:

Is there such a thing as a good bank.

...ever wonder why the pre-Euro currency of Ireland was called the Punt? Because it rhymes with bank manager.

It makes me laugh that bank managers were once listed as respected members of society and therefore authorised to sign shotgun and FAC licence applications. Nothing but licensed money sharks.

Edited by Eyefor

First Direct (part of HSBC) are excellent - been with them 32 years now, completely telephone/on-line and staffed by humans in the UK.  I accept that a bank is a business like any other and has to make a profit but also note that over the years I've never had a bad experience.  Highly recommended.

12 hours ago, Shooter1966 said:

They haven't helped me or the wife with any help for the bed and breakfast we run,lockdown came ,we lost all our bookings, asked barclays for a loan to see us through,got told no sorry you dont meet the criteria for a loan. been with them for years,will be changing banks as soon as this lockdown is over.

still sending text messages saying that im overdrawn and to move funds,what funds you ******** ,you would give me a loan to move funds.

On a good note though looks like the government is going to back 100% loans for small rural businesses.

Go and have a look at Louis Rossman on YouTube to see what is happening over in the USA with their stuff - he is a small business owner in New York.

The bankers of the world will be celebrating the advent of C19 for the rest of their lives. Governments will be borrowing eye-watering amounts of money to pay for the effects of the coronavirus, and it's going to be the man in the street that will be forced to pay it back.

A new round of austerity measures must be on the cards. It could very well cost the government  their jobs at the next election, but I can't see any alternative, and will the bankers care? Of course not. Why would it? They'll still get their pound of flesh.  :mad:

12 minutes ago, Cheshirelad said:

The bankers of the world will be celebrating the advent of C19 for the rest of their lives. Governments will be borrowing eye-watering amounts of money to pay for the effects of the coronavirus, and it's going to be the man in the street that will be forced to pay it back.

A new round of austerity measures must be on the cards. It could very well cost the government  their jobs at the next election, but I can't see any alternative, and will the bankers care? Of course not. Why would it? They'll still get their pound of flesh.  :mad:

Why would the Banks not care?

17 minutes ago, Cheshirelad said:

Why would they? Their business is money, not social work. When times are hard, they lend and make money. When times are good, they still lend and make money. Why would they care? They are making a profit whatever happens.

Seems a good basis to support your argument! 

When they work closely with businesses I would suggest they do care, if customers are successful so are banks, bad debts do not generate profit!

Edited by button