Haenel 303

Centrepin

1 hour ago, old'un said:

Have you not got the old spring? Before you go chopping bits of anything I would make sure the piston is engaging with the trigger sear when cocked, you could try this with a very short/light spring or at a pinch without one.

I'll try that, the old spring is shorter but stiffer, I guess the new one is a generic fits many types.

I had a real problem getting it compressed when fitting, had to use a ratchet strap to compress it. As it's the first time I've re built one I didn't find it odd at the time as I lack arm strength. 

The vast majority of springs are over sized and require cutting, the end coil collapsing, grinding square and re tempereing. This process may be needed to be done several times before the power level of the gun is made to be under the legal limit. Apart from a Chronograph you will need a bench grinder a decent blow torch with a fine flame a spring compressor and other hand tools. The process could take from 30 minutes to over an hour depending on how many cuts are required and how many shots it takes to get things right.

Edited by sportsbob

Just now, old'un said:

Can someone tell me why people put these “strong” springs in their air rifles, I was under the impression that its air volume that increases power and not how strong the spring is.

hello, because they do know much about older type spring air rifles, i got a message from a chap given a SMK B2 with an OX spring fitted, the original owner could not work out why it did not shoot well,

7 hours ago, sportsbob said:

The vast majority of springs are over sized and require cutting, the end coil collapsing, grinding square and re tempereing. This process may be needed to be done several times before the power level of the gun is made to be under the legal limit. Apart from a Chronograph you will need a bench grinder a decent blow torch with a fine flame a spring compressor and other hand tools. The process could take from 30 minutes to over an hour depending on how many cuts are required and how many shots it takes to get things right.

It took me over an hour to compress the spring the first time using a ratchet strap, second time it only took 45 mins or so.

Looks like I'm in for a long day.

I'll try it and see how I go.

6 hours ago, old'un said:

Can someone tell me why people put these “strong” springs in their air rifles, I was under the impression that its air volume that increases power and not how strong the spring is.

In my case I just ordered from the website using the part number they advertise, I presumed a newer spring would be stronger by virtue of being newer as the old one I guess is original.

The gun is pre 1968, 5.6mm (.22) I've owned it since 1972 and it's only ever been cleaned occasionally. 

20200404_200300.jpg

No, I've not got round to re striping it yet.

My wife's been too poorly and in need of my attention to take time out in the workshop.

I did nip into the workspace today but as I've nets hanging up for drying and repair and decoys needing repainting by the time I'd tidied up my strength was gone and I needed a nap.

All being well and time permitting🙄 I'll probably try again in a few days.

Should I succeed I'll post or ask more questions, thanks for the input and advice.👍

Found time to spare today, stripped it down again and reassembled with the old spring, working fine.

Nipped a half coil off the new with the angle grinder and put it all back again. Glad it worked the first time as I was done in by then. Cocked and fired two test pellets into some metal sheet in the garage. Quite safe as I have a huge triple garage and still space left over. What a difference, working fine, hard to cock, but I'd run out of strength anyway. Huge dents in the metal. So its put some real power back in it.

Scope on now and zeroing outside when possible.

Thanks for the help, I'm grateful for the replies. I now have a fully restored pre 1968 air rifle to play with again. I've owned it 48 years, so it's been worth the bother to me.

Just got to source some decent pellets or 5.6mm to fit now.

20200504_184011.jpg

20200504_183933.jpg

Glad you have got it working, looking good. :good:

I see you have only taken half a coil of the spring, can I suggest you take another half coil off as the spring must be very close to being fully compressed and could possibly brake if the coils are binding against each other.

Edited by old'un

4 minutes ago, old'un said:

Glad you have got it working, looking good. :good:

I see you have only taken half a coil of the spring, can I suggest you take another half coil off as the spring must be very close to being fully compressed and could possibly brake if the coils are binding against each other.

Thanks, I'll try it first and then maybe shave some more off. As it was a first cut I didn't even smooth it off or neaten it as I expected to have to remove more.

I was just overjoyed it works again