Fully moderated

Centrepin

I'm just asking for opinions on fully moderated shot guns. Which you would reccomend. 

My son is buying a 20g but as I don't want yet another calibre of ammo around in my house or hide, my choice is .410 or 12g.

It's for use close to animal pens and between two bridleways. Occasional rat if they come out in daylight but more for pigeon or corvids.

Anything you can reccomend and why would be a big help as I have no experience in silenced shotguns.

They’re not that much quieter and you have to buy subsonic carts for them to work properly... they are better as pumps as subsonic carts won’t cycle a semi auto. 

A bloke on here recently spent a few hundred on a mod for his gun and then said it was just as loud as normal carts after 20 yards. 

Personally I wouldn’t bother after hearing some of the reports.

I have had both .410 and the 12g fully moderated pedretti, these were the old model single shot, single break barrel full barrel length sleeve moderated. I had both for the best part of 20 years. In the end I sold the .410 as I found myself using the 12 as I could shoot pigeons and corvids out to a further distance. Do not buy subsonic cartridge for the 12 as they are quite expensive and though they do moderate the sound more, it is only negligible to a standard 12 cartridge. I can only speak for the models above and not the 20g or semi auto and other models.

A good friend who is adept at bringing pigeons down used my 12 in a hide with me and bought down some stormers, must  bear in mind that these are a single barrel and not a semi.

The only thing I found with the 12 was how wide the sleeve was, if you get a single 12 whole barrel moderated it takes a little getting used to, a bit like shooting a scaffolding pole. Also they are quite heavy. 

I have put a link below to an old thread which I posted in and may be of help reviewing all contributors input for your needs.

atb

7diaw

.410 obviously the best of the bunch for best reduction in noise ,20gauge ok with subs 12g i was not impressed.

i reload my own subs in 20gauge which are 70mm  28gram no5 load.

these cycle fine in the hatsan semiauto.

i have the mossberg 20 gauge pump hushpower but thinking of selling it and putting a saddlery & gunroom screw in choke moderator on the hatsan.

if you can find one the ou hushpower in 20g is the way to go.

1 hour ago, Remimax said:

if you can find one the ou hushpower in 20g is the way to go.

I'd second this, mate of mine has one, with subsonic carts it's as quiet as a quiet thing.  And doesn't suffer from the range limitations a .410 does.

Attempting to quieten a 12 gauge is, in my opinion, a bad place to start from.

20g is the Goldilocks calibre.  Which probably isn't the answer the OP wanted to hear

Choice between .12and .410 .

Easy  .410 

Choice between 20 and .410 is harder .depends on exactly what you want to achive .

I have both  

Though i tend to find i reach for the .410 more often as its lighter  quieter .swings easier. And kills pigeons out to 30 yds . (40 for the 20b ) .although mine is single shot  i still dont feel too undergunned .

If a bird is in range then its in trouble .

2 hours ago, Ultrastu said:

Choice between .12and .410 .

Easy  .410 

Choice between 20 and .410 is harder .depends on exactly what you want to achive .

I have both  

Though i tend to find i reach for the .410 more often as its lighter  quieter .swings easier. And kills pigeons out to 30 yds . (40 for the 20b ) .although mine is single shot  i still dont feel too undergunned .

If a bird is in range then its in trouble .

you ever  tried them cheddite 3" 24 grams 6s in 410  don't even know if you can still get them.

Thanks for the replies, my son is waiting out for an O/U 20g fully moderated as he has a couple of 20g anyways.

I just don't want to carry 3 guns and 3 calibres of ammo each time in the car. 

From reading above it sounds like a .410 could be the way to go. The quieter the better I think.

I'll start looking around, can't buy till after the lockdown anyway, even if someone offers the deal of a lifetime.

13 hours ago, Remimax said:

you ever  tried them cheddite 3" 24 grams 6s in 410  don't even know if you can still get them.

I have two boxes of these but am yet to use them! Has anyone? They are ment to be slow but hard hitting? I got them for a load of squirrels but it never came off in the end  

I would also recommend a .410 in the right hands. Just know its limitations. 

Well I borrowed a Perdetti to try, fully moderated. 410.

Fired subsonic and normal, absolutely no difference between them.

What surprised me most was how not quiet it was. With my son we fired 3 x 2" x 9gram, 3 x 2 1/2" x 14gram and 3 x 3" x 18gram. The 18gram being what we be using in reality. Then the same in the old unmoderated Cooey. With the exception of the 2" 9gram the Cooey was quieter, marginally.

So like a lot of things in the last few days, back to square 1. 

Must be something missing out of that pedrettis mod then (no baffle stack ?) 

As a mod on a .410 should always be quieter than an unmodded gun .

If i take my mod off and shoot it without it makes my ears ring for a minute. 

With mod on  its just a muted  "buff" 

No ringing at all .

10 minutes ago, Ultrastu said:

Must be something missing out of that pedrettis mod then (no baffle stack ?) 

As a mod on a .410 should always be quieter than an unmodded gun .

If i take my mod off and shoot it without it makes my ears ring for a minute. 

With mod on  its just a muted  "buff" 

No ringing at all .

The mod is the full barrel length, on firing smoke stayed in the barrel and at first I thought it was blocked. First time I've used a moderated shotgun. I was hugely disappointed.

It's also up for sale at £100,  I did wonder why it was so cheap and if that was the reason. 

My RFD  said the one hes selling is just a muffled psst

Edited by Centrepin

perceived sound behind the gun when firing and sound heard in front or to the side of the muzzle are totally different.

A 12 I have sounds loud to me but at a clay shoot I was asked if it was an air gun by people on the stand 30 or so yards away.

With the .410 it's usually "didn't hear the shot ,but the clay broke"

my one's are all "add ons" not full barrel factory mods.

I’ve got the Mossberg Hushpower 410 it’s a great gun, I’ve been using mainly 6’s and 7’s 18 grams from ELEY they are the 3 inch magnums. I’ve also used the subsonic ammo there is a marked difference in noise they are very quiet. I use the normal magnums most of the time as they are harder hitting, they kill really well and I have been very impressed by the 410. It’s the gun I take out most, I’ve also got a twenty and a twelve but they are gathering dust at the moment. I don’t see any point in making loads of noise if I can get the job done quietly. There’s sub good videos of people using them on Colvin’s and pigeons so you can see what they are capable of 👍