Has anyone used one of these?

harrycatcat1

I bought this a couple of years back as I had a spate of screws in my tyres but it stopped as soon as I bought the kit so never used it.

I now have a tyre with a screw in the middle of the tread not on the side wall.

Can it be done with the tyre inflated or does the tyre have to be deflated for the operation? Any tips?

20200428_113949.jpg

I've plugged motor bikes and just done it with air in the tyre as normally a pump is not carried on the bike. We went through about six co2 capsules trying to inflate it.

Just make sure that you rough the hole up, but vulcanising  should be done as soon as possible to be safe.

11 minutes ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

hello, i am sure i read on my pack you can do with air in tyre, what is the instructions with yours ?

It doesn't say whether inflated or not to be honest. Thing I am thinking is it says to put the "rougher upper" through, then put some glue on it and put it in again, if under pressure would the glue stick to the sides or blow it out?

17 minutes ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

hello, i am sure i read on my pack you can do with air in tyre, what is the instructions with yours ?

Air out first,,,, I think the clue is the 'drill bit' supplied as part of the kit 😉 If you want to drill into a tyre with air in, which will then go flat, crack on 😧 Not trying to be funny, it just seems obvious to me 🙂

Edited by JKD

3 minutes ago, harrycatcat1 said:

It doesn't say whether inflated or not to be honest. Thing I am thinking is it says to put the "rougher upper" through, then put some glue on it and put it in again, if under pressure would the glue stick to the sides or blow it out?

hello, i will check out my set later

I saw a PH in Africa use that exact kit to mend a tyre whilst in the bush He heard the tyre leaking as he was driving and fixed it before it deflated. Topped it up two days later. Me being nearly deaf, to me the most amazing bit was how he heard a tyre deflating from inside a moving Toyota.

2 hours ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

hello, just to add this is one of those bits of kit you buy but may never use, or you get that puncture and glad you bought it, i was reading on another forum where someone posted about these and the ebay seller sold out, well worth the cost of £3/£4 

It's raining here now so might have a go at it tomorrow 👍

i can't remember how much it was off fleebay but I thought that it was less than three quid🤔

6 minutes ago, harrycatcat1 said:

It's raining here now so might have a go at it tomorrow 👍

i can't remember how much it was off fleebay but I thought that it was less than three quid🤔

hello, i am sure there was a post on here about these puncture kits some years back and a lot did buy one, , yes its raining here to and i just had to sort out my motor and flat battery, soaking wet now, anyway hope you get yours sorted. cheers

Louts threw a load of screws on the road behind the taxi office where I used to work. I've used that kit umpteen times. 

Screws make a slow leak because the hole's plugged - allowing me to choose a convenient time and place to sort - often still on the car. The product worked superbly allowing me to get full use till the tread was low enough to justify changing. 

Edited by Dave-G

1 hour ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

hello, i am sure there was a post on here about these puncture kits some years back and a lot did buy one, , yes its raining here to and i just had to sort out my motor and flat battery, soaking wet now, anyway hope you get yours sorted. cheers

It might have been that post that spurred me on to buy one. I've just looked at it must have been bought prior to June 2017 as thats as far as ebay goes back on purchases for me.

Not sure they're road legal for car tyres in the UK anymore.

I first used these on lorries,  brilliant bit of kit. So impressed I bought a kit and when I ran an off road club used to use them to temporarily fix punctures.

Doesn't matter if tyre is completely flat, partially inflated or just leaking.

Follow the instructions but what they don't tell you is:

Beware when "drilling" out to make a hole, like anything you can't put back what's gone. If you make the hole too big or too rough you'll need more threads in. I found over 4 and you cant get a reliable seal. I have seen skilled tyre men use 6 or more with good results, but I'm not skilled and I'm guessing it's your first time.

I've also seen "temporary" repairs outlast the tyre.  Good bit of kit used correctly.