Has anyone used one of these?

harrycatcat1

Well that job turned to excrement. 

I took the screw out put the rougher upper through then tried to get some glue in with the needle. Next I threaded the "bung" into the needle which was not an easy job.

I put the needle into to tyre which at that point the needle started to bend close to the handle. I continued pushing the needle in to the required depth and all was looking good until I pulled the needle out and the bung came with it because the eye of the needle had bent also. 😡

I quickly put the screw back in and rubbed some glue on it till I can get it to the garage and have it done.

Chinese rubbish, just glad I wasn't relying it at the side if the road at night.

Edited to say you have to laugh otherwise you would cry 🤣🤣👍👍

(Although I wasn't saying it at the time)

20200429_110040.jpg

Edited by harrycatcat1
Spelling

Yup, looks like Chinese 💩.

The thing with these kits is practice, practice practice.

The drawback is you don't practice till you need it and then it's too late.

Rarely have I seen anyone do a good job first time. We had a full time tyre fitter at work and I was able to get him to let me practice at the firms expense till I did it right. The first time i used a kit on the road with a lorry i still ended up fetching out the the tyre man. I used a full kit getting it right between the treads while off roading in a Land Rover. Brilliant when used right...........

1 hour ago, crossy 666 said:

I have used one of them type kits for many years and never had a problem. I always fill the tyre up to correct psi then pull the nail out then use the kit and top up after. My kit does look a lot better made than yours tho. 

Mine was monkey metal to be honest.

Just to add I took it down to my local tyre garage, twenty quid later its fixed.

Cut a side of the needle off, it only needs to grip the strip enough to push it in past the tyre rubber. Mine bent out as I only use the cheapest junk on ebay, I've been using these kits for years on cars, vans and bikes. All I do is buy extra rubber glue, as the tiny tube don't last, usually 1 attempt. Also when all is dry and cut flush, I put a drop of superglue on top. The only one i couldnt plug was from a bolt.

Ive got a set on the bike and in the car, as those foams in cans are a waste of time and money. 

10 hours ago, strimmer_13 said:

Cut a side of the needle off, it only needs to grip the strip enough to push it in past the tyre rubber. Mine bent out as I only use the cheapest junk on ebay, I've been using these kits for years on cars, vans and bikes. All I do is buy extra rubber glue, as the tiny tube don't last, usually 1 attempt. Also when all is dry and cut flush, I put a drop of superglue on top. The only one i couldnt plug was from a bolt.

Ive got a set on the bike and in the car, as those foams in cans are a waste of time and money. 

To be honest I have not chucked it as I always think "it might come in handy"

I might "trim the top off the needle for/if there is a next time 🤣🤣👍👍

Thanks for everyone's advice in this matter 👍👍👍👍👍👍

cant go wrong I have had tyres do 30k with a plug in  one tyre had five repairs in dew to a neighbour burning fence panels in the entry  as went to work and came home in the dark  couldn't  see     in the tread no problem   sidewalls cannot be repaired         took a tyre to ats with 3k and a puncture couldn't repair  £120 new tyre needed  stitching kit £ 4 .00 and 40k later new tyre needed      if you cant repair a tyre why are they supplying gunk and a compressor  from new  without a spare in new  cars where's the problem in repairing a minor puncture  remove object plug with a lickerish  if it doesn't loos air the repair is good  

I have used it, very good but it did take me two goes, cut the first one in half pushing it in, plenty of glue in and on the hole first. 

Have them in boot of all our cars.

Harry you didn't use the reamer enough before going for it. I done same to one, it straightened out and was ok after more reaming.

3 hours ago, figgy said:

Harry you didn't use the reamer enough before going for it. I done same to one, it straightened out and was ok after more reaming.

I can't disagree with you to be honest, in retrospect I could have done without the tyre hissing at me like a snake doing it for the first time and the worry of being stuck on the drive. On the dash board when I started the pressure in the tyre was 175 (the others are 205) something or other and by the time I'd finished and got the screw back in it was 70.

I could do with more practice 🤣🤣

4 hours ago, defender said:

I would like to look at this but unfortunately the link doesn't seem to work for me, does it work for others?