Swan shot on nest

andrewluke

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

43 minutes ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

hello, i think many ate fish that i knew back many years ago, i have/ pike/perch/eel/ as happen most of those fish taken were roach/bleak/dace,

Things were different then......!

I remember when It was then legitimate to take fish from rivers and lakes provided they exceeded the sizes specified in your license. So, like oldypigeonpoper, I too have eaten pike, perch, bream etc, and my grandfather taught me how to make jellied eels with scraps from the fishmonger. I was 10 when food rationing finished and taking fish from the river and the "nothing from the animal was wasted" philosophy continued for many years. 

As to the Swan and the 8mm ball, it could well have been a catapault but a quick search has showed examples of 8mm balls fired from crossbows. Unlikely, but I guesse we'll never know.

19 hours ago, Vince Green said:

More likely Romanians to be honest, they take the ducks off the sailing club's lake.  They are real food scavengers.

Yep 

Same around our way, they'll be down the  river walk at 4.30am get what they want, ducks and eggs, and be home ready to go to work by 6.30am. 

In the summer they are down on the sea wall at Poole harbour all day long drop netting bucketfuls of the little crabs.Some (many ) are no bigger than a 50p coin. Heaven knows what they do with them all.

That's obviously their culture, they are gatherers, no different to our forebearers gathering cockles and mussels at low tide. Or netting a rabbit.

I don't suppose they even realise the swans are protected

Edited by Vince Green

1 minute ago, Vince Green said:

In the summer they are down on the sea wall at Poole harbour all day long drop netting bucketfuls of the little crabs.Some (many ) are no bigger than a 50p coin. Heaven knows what they do with them all.

hello, i would wonder myself vince, i remember taking my Chinese friend (lady) trout fishing, pure spring water, full of fresh water muscles next thing i see was my net scooping up a bag full, when she had cooked then asked would you like some🤮 no thanks

6 minutes ago, JohnfromUK said:

Another example here;

https://www.gloucestershirelive.co.uk/news/gloucester-news/swan-dies-eggs-abandoned-after-4087907

Suggests it may have been teenage boys - which seems likely.

hello, yes despite the lockdown these sort of things are still happening, my friend has an allotment with about 30 other residents now looking to find a solution to stop people stealing this year, some poles have set up camp in the nearby woods for the last few years

On 29/04/2020 at 08:06, oldypigeonpopper said:

hello, in 2008 a reporter caught a EU citizen cooking a Swan, Hasan Fidon in 2014 was fined for doing the same, it is seldom you hear of British citizens living in uk doing this, 

I was just about to add a comment on that very thing ....

Not accusing any nationality specifically ..... but what sprung straight to mind when I read the o.p . I wondered straight away that due to the number of birds injured "I am not going to say SHOT" and the lack of people birdwatching if the eastern European swan eaters aren't taking advantage .. but it could just as well be idiotic british people / youths committing the awful incidents

57 minutes ago, hodge911 said:

I was just about to add a comment on that very thing ....

Not accusing any nationality specifically ..... but what sprung straight to mind when I read the o.p . I wondered straight away that due to the number of birds injured "I am not going to say SHOT" and the lack of people birdwatching if the eastern European swan eaters aren't taking advantage .. but it could just as well be idiotic british people / youths committing the awful incidents

hello, while it could be our youths the vast majority of crime on our rivers is foreign nationals, and it is not just wild life,

Just now, henry d said:

For shooting swans and fishing without permits etc?

hello, i am just glad they got deported and i expect most people living in Scotland do also, it is common knowledge around the Thames that those who get caught for no rod licence/ killing swans and ducks, taking course fish, stealing out board motors/ boats/ and more are either Roma or Poles

Well here at the mighty river Tay in Scotland its mostly home grown poachers, infact I supply some neighbours (Bulgarian) with fish when I get a surplus as he is too busy working. Never met any polish fishermen on the Tay, one French lad, and 00`s of home grown neds. I`ve met lots of eastern europeans and 2 french guys (not the same one) using kayaks and sibs and most are fine, but don`t have a good attitude to safety at sea.

Anyhoo, answer the question if you please

14 minutes ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

hello, i am just glad they got deported and i expect most people living in Scotland do also, it is common knowledge around the Thames that those who get caught for no rod licence/ killing swans and ducks, taking course fish, stealing out board motors/ boats/ and more are either Roma or Poles

hello, not forget the report in 2015 Eastern Europeans criminals causing havoc in Scotland

1 minute ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

hello, not forget the report in 2015 Eastern Europeans criminals causing havoc in Scotland

hello, you said i was racist about foreign nationals the above says it all

On 29/04/2020 at 11:05, Bobba said:

Things were different then...

As to the Swan and the 8mm ball, it could well have been a catapault but a quick search has showed examples of 8mm balls fired from crossbows. Unlikely, but I guesse we'll never know.

8mm steel balls are very popular with the sling shots guys and are cheap at  £35 for 6000 + free nextday delivery !

4 hours ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

hello, you said i was racist about foreign nationals the above says it all

No it doesn't, you quoted this;

5 hours ago, henry d said:

hello, while it could be our youths the vast majority of crime on our rivers is foreign nationals, and it is not just wild life

And I believe that to be racist rubbish, you even try to quote a report from 2015 about foreign nationals and crime. I had to look it up as even though I have lived here nearly 30 years, I was totally unaware of it, and the figures suggest that@ 5% of crime in Scotland that was brought to court was foreign nationals.

18 hours ago, henry d said:

You'll also see British crims too, of all types and they are the vast majority believe it or not.

I wonder if there are figures to see what the percentages are per capita ?
Unfortunately , this type of information , due to reasons of offending snowflake sensibilities, is very hard to come by...

https://fullfact.org/immigration/immigrants-and-crime/

Full fact , the bastion of such sensibilities , with a very left leaning, migration friendly unbiased  view, provides plenty of information to tell us there is a disproportionate  number of migrant crimes and prisons in this country have an over representation of foreigners , BUT , in a very henryesque way says its OK because there are more home grown criminals.
What percentage of these 'home grown' criminals were not born in this country but hold British passports, is anyones guess.
Also the multitudes of unreported crimes that happen within immigrant communities, like FGM and domestic abuse, due to cultural ideology.

Its very easy to rubbish claims of high migrant crime, due to the source of the claim , and the difficulty in getting any government figures (for some reason they seem unwilling to part with such information , a la the inquiry into Pakistani grooming gangs) but if you live in an area of high err, diversity , you will know full well the picture.

hello, i just googled,  foreign criminals caught in UK,  better still try to find the percentage of foreign against english in UK prisons, although you may get british born of foreign descent, another fact is the MET police have/ did have a team of officers just dedicated to Roma criminals, their foot soldiers came over 100s every year to assess possible criminal activities