FX .25 slugs

villaman

1 hour ago, Whitebridges said:

Thanks for the heads up.

Phew ! Nearly 15p a shot, hardly plinking ammo.

Gonna have to run a few of these just to see what they're like.

fxcrown2.jpg

Obviously dearer than standard pellets,  but I bet they put a smile on your face.

How does that compare with 22LR ammo?

1 hour ago, Mice! said:

Obviously dearer than standard pellets,  but I bet they put a smile on your face.

How does that compare with 22LR ammo?

Two Q’s there Mice I guess?

1. Pricewise : 15p x 100 equals £15 divided by two equals £7.50 for 50 so more expensive than .22 LR  generally.

2. Performance : Who knows !

5 minutes ago, Whitebridges said:

Two Q’s there Mice I guess?

1. Pricewise : 15p x 100 equals £15 divided by two equals £7.50 for 50 so more expensive than .22 LR  generally.

2. Performance : Who knows !

Cheers, seems strange if there dearer than 22LR but you'll be able to use them in places that LR isn't suitable I imagine. 

4 hours ago, Rimfireboy said:

What’s the barrel length on the crown Nigel? What ft lbs is it?

RMB with the barrel shroud extended (in the picture it's not extended) the length of the gun in old money is 4ft.

In new money the barrel is 750mm (inc. shroud extended) when it's not extended it's 600mm. Like everything on the Crown this can be altered.   

Does 48 ft lbs on max setting with 25.39g JSB Exact .25 but the power levels can be changed. Here are some of the other options using the same ammo.

You can take it up further (80 ft lbs) but there is a trade off in terms of shot count and stabilised pellets  so i will leave it right where it is.         

Setting           FPS            ft lbs

MAX              930             48.77
5                     895             45.17
4                     836             39.41 
3                     775             33.87
2                     714             28.75
1                     664             24.86     

Edited by Whitebridges

19 minutes ago, Whitebridges said:

RMB with the barrel shroud extended (in the picture it's not extended) the length of the gun in old money is 4ft.

In new money the barrel is 750mm (inc. shroud extended) when it's not extended it's 600mm. Like everything on the Crown this can be altered.   

Does 48 ft lbs on max setting with 25.39g JSB Exact .25 but the power levels can be changed. Here are some of the other options using the same ammo.

You can take it up further (80 ft lbs) but there is a trade off in terms of shot count and stabilised pellets  so i will leave it right where it is.         

Setting           FPS            ft lbs

MAX              930             48.77
5                     895             45.17
4                     836             39.41 
3                     775             33.87
2                     714             28.75
1                     664             24.86     

Interesting figures Nigel, I’ve got a couple of free slots, one for fac air. I’m looking at the crown and the new impact with power plenum. How does the crown compare with the Daystate in your opinion?

1 hour ago, Rimfireboy said:

Interesting figures Nigel, I’ve got a couple of free slots, one for fac air. I’m looking at the crown and the new impact with power plenum. How does the crown compare with the Daystate in your opinion?

I was very fond of my .25 Daystate Wolverine. I picked it up at the right price second hand but it was nine years old when i sold it and times have moved on at pace in the world of FAC air !

Main benefits for me are:

1. Many many more shots per fill. The Daystate would do 55 consistent shots at 45 ftlbs. I had to work a fair bit to find the "sweet spot" after a fill. Some duff stuff at the start and the end but when it was on the money it was a delight. The Crown is right on it from start to finish. At the moment I can't fill to 250 BAR but this is fixable when we are allowed out (new carbon bottle required). This Crown is fitted with power plenum as standard and is able to produce 130 shots at 48 ft lbs, so a big improvement on the old gun.

2. Scoped up and ready to go the Crown is 2.5lbs lighter mainly because the bottle is carbon and the stock is lighter.  

3. The magazine holds more shots, fifteen in .25 and the cocking mechanism is the best i've used. They changed the mag from the earlier one which was utter ****. The new ones are very easy and uncomplicated to use and you get TWO when you buy a Crown.

4. I made a lot of enquiries about the Crown and the Impact when they first came to Britain. I wanted one. Do you know I had no replies to e-mails and phone calls, nothing. Now thank heavens FX have seen the light and Sportsman are now the distributor. FX sacked ASI.  I have much more confidence if I need a question answered or some "bits" that my dealer can supply to customer requirements.

5. Early days yet. I want to get out and give this gun a good thrashing ! Is accuracy better? I don't know yet until i've tested it thoroughly but the signs look positive.

6. I can raise the comb on the Crown but not on the Daystate. I've now got a very comfortable consistent sight picture. Not all Crown stocks have this feature though.

I'm looking forward to trying a few of these FX hybrid slugs, watch this space mate. Good luck with your search and do try a Crown. I think you'll be as impressed as I am !      

Edited by Whitebridges

1 hour ago, Whitebridges said:

I was very fond of my .25 Daystate Wolverine. I picked it up at the right price second hand but it was nine years old when i sold it and times have moved on at pace in the world of FAC air !

Main benefits for me are:

1. Many many more shots per fill. The Daystate would do 55 consistent shots at 45 ftlbs. I had to work a fair bit to find the "sweet spot" after a fill. Some duff stuff at the start and the end but when it was on the money it was a delight. The Crown is right on it from start to finish. At the moment I can't fill to 250 BAR but this is fixable when we are allowed out (new carbon bottle required). This Crown is fitted with power plenum as standard and is able to produce 130 shots at 48 ft lbs, so a big improvement on the old gun.

2. Scoped up and ready to go the Crown is 2.5lbs lighter mainly because the bottle is carbon and the stock is lighter.  

3. The magazine holds more shots, fifteen in .25 and the cocking mechanism is the best i've used. They changed the mag from the earlier one which was utter ****. The new ones are very easy and uncomplicated to use and you get TWO when you buy a Crown.

4. I made a lot of enquiries about the Crown and the Impact when they first came to Britain. I wanted one. Do you know I had no replies to e-mails and phone calls, nothing. Now thank heavens FX have seen the light and Sportsman are now the distributor. FX sacked ASI.  I have much more confidence if I need a question answered or some "bits" that my dealer can supply to customer requirements.

5. Early days yet. I want to get out and give this gun a good thrashing ! Is accuracy better? I don't know yet until i've tested it thoroughly but the signs look positive.

6. I can raise the comb on the Crown but not on the Daystate. I've now got a very comfortable consistent sight picture. Not all Crown stocks have this feature though.

I'm looking forward to trying a few of these FX hybrid slugs, watch this space mate. Good luck with your search and do try a Crown. I think you'll be as impressed as I am !      

Yep, when this lockdown is eased, I’ll be out to try both crown and impact. It will be one of these as I’ve narrowed it down through research already. I wasn’t aware that the new crowns had the power plenum though. Thanks for the information Nigel 👍

2 hours ago, Rimfireboy said:

Yep, when this lockdown is eased, I’ll be out to try both crown and impact. It will be one of these as I’ve narrowed it down through research already. I wasn’t aware that the new crowns had the power plenum though. Thanks for the information Nigel 👍

RFB, If you find yourself in Norfolk you're more than welcome to try mine.

FX have taken a fair bit of stick over the last two odd years for the Impact and Crown. If you track the history of the changes they've made it's quite something. For example the Impact MK1 was a terrible leakly ol' **** of ill repute. The Crown was a big doggie. Now I think they have got it together at last. I actually admire companies who get it out there and when they make boobies they make changes. ATB.