Gaining permission in lock down...is it possible?

Westley78

Guys,

I know that the subject of whether crop protection should or should not be undertaken in the current climate has been debated at length in the forum, and i appreciate that there is a split opinion on this which i do not want to go over again and therefore i am working on the assumption that; if a farmer considers it to be essential to their livelihood they will inevitably source somebody to undertake the operation of crop protection.

I am still in pursuit of my first permission and up until the lock down i was on the look out for pigeons when i was out on appointments and approaching local farmers in person as and when i spotted pigeons feeding on crops, which obviously can no longer do this due to the travel and social distancing restrictions placed upon us.

Therefore, as i understand it we are approaching a crucial time for crop protection so i am wondering: do i still try and contact farmers, albeit without actually finding the pigeons first and without making a physical introduction, or do i just sit things out for the foreseeable and resume my pursuit in person once the restrictions are lifted..??

Any input on the subject of gaining permission at this time would be welcomed.

Kind regards

Westley

1 minute ago, DUNKS said:

As long as you can do all this while STAYING INSIDE I see no problem.

Thanks Dunks,

I was already doing desktop research to find the local farmers details before i physically approached them to introduce myself. So I can still do the desktop research on local estates and call or send letters of introduction but as i don't actually know any farmers yet i am not sure if this will work.

Whats your thoughts? 

hello, its not easy to get a permission if you do not know the landowner, nothing to say sending letters of introduction at this time could be one idea, mine came easy as i grew up in village life and we always had shooting, the shooting season might be a little different this year but they will be some shoots in Hertfordshire needing beaters

23 minutes ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

hello, its not easy to get a permission if you do not know the landowner, nothing to say sending letters of introduction at this time could be one idea, mine came easy as i grew up in village life and we always had shooting, the shooting season might be a little different this year but they will be some shoots in Hertfordshire needing beaters

Thanks oldpigeonpopper,

I did think beating would be a good way into the sport and have signed up to National Organisation of Beaters to try and find some local shoots to work on, but obviously that won't be available until much later in the year and i did want to try and stay proactive and continue working towards a permission in the meantime...

It can’t do you any harm letting farmers know you are available, last year a local farmer asked me to shoot three foxes that had killed over a hundred of her chickens. Though the farm is only two miles from my house I never asked for permission as I had been told through friends that two men already had permission. They were unable for some reason to kill the foxes, lack of knowledge/skill/field craft I don’t know but she contacted me and asked if I could shoot them. The first night I saw one but could not take the shot because of the backdrop and having a rifle and I think she thought, oh, another useless man 👨. Went back the next night with the 12 bore and a hide and called them in, three nights and 6 or 7 hours 3 dead foxes and now a permission on my doorstep that I can go to anytime, I just phone her and tell her I am going to be on the land.

make yourself known and do a good job for the farmer and the permissions will come. Best of luck.

7 minutes ago, Westley78 said:

Thanks oldpigeonpopper,

I did think beating would be a good way into the sport and have signed up to National Organisation of Beaters to try and find some local shoots to work on, but obviously that won't be available until much later in the year and i did want to try and stay proactive and continue working towards a permission in the meantime...

I wouldn't put too much faith in NOBS, I haven't heard many good reports about them. My FIL signed up to them years ago but never heard a thing. Find farms and usually you'll find the beating too, over the course of 10 years I've moved to new county, found beating, pigeon shooting and now ended up keepering a shoot all from bumping into the local shoot when walking my dog the first week we we moved.

9 minutes ago, Stuarta said:

It can’t do you any harm letting farmers know you are available, last year a local farmer asked me to shoot three foxes that had killed over a hundred of her chickens. Though the farm is only two miles from my house I never asked for permission as I had been told through friends that two men already had permission. They were unable for some reason to kill the foxes, lack of knowledge/skill/field craft I don’t know but she contacted me and asked if I could shoot them. The first night I saw one but could not take the shot because of the backdrop and having a rifle and I think she thought, oh, another useless man 👨. Went back the next night with the 12 bore and a hide and called them in, three nights and 6 or 7 hours 3 dead foxes and now a permission on my doorstep that I can go to anytime, I just phone her and tell her I am going to be on the land.

make yourself known and do a good job for the farmer and the permissions will come. Best of luck.

Thats my plan, thanks for your input 👍

7 minutes ago, kennett said:

I wouldn't put too much faith in NOBS, I haven't heard many good reports about them. My FIL signed up to them years ago but never heard a thing. Find farms and usually you'll find the beating too, over the course of 10 years I've moved to new county, found beating, pigeon shooting and now ended up keepering a shoot all from bumping into the local shoot when walking my dog the first week we we moved.

Thanks for the heads up Kennett, at this point i am opening myself up to as many opportunities as i can to try and build my network but will bear that in mind for the future.

21 hours ago, Stuarta said:

There are very many 'experienced' shooters that do lots but only go out when a blue moon falls on a weekend. 

40 minutes ago, Westley78 said:

Hi old'un,

Yes i am a Chartered Surveyor and have my own practice therefore i can be flexible and accommodate mid-week shoots which i hope will help me gain (and eventually keep) permissions...

Yep, being able to shoot midweek is always a bonus, also being able to shoot the same day of a call or at worst, first thing the next day, it all helps.

You need to emphasize any bonus points you have over weekend shooters, but once you go down that route make sure you back your promises up with action.

There are so many ways of acquiring some shooting, one way is to be seen regular by locals and farmers, park in gateways and put your binoculars across some fields, even if you don’t shoot them, at some point you will be noticed and possibly asked by the farmer who owns the fields what you are looking for, you can then start a conversation with him/her and hope you get a result.

26 minutes ago, old'un said:

Yep, being able to shoot midweek is always a bonus, also being able to shoot the same day of a call or at worst, first thing the next day, it all helps.

You need to emphasize any bonus points you have over weekend shooters, but once you go down that route make sure you back your promises up with action.

There are so many ways of acquiring some shooting, one way is to be seen regular by locals and farmers, park in gateways and put your binoculars across some fields, even if you don’t shoot them, at some point you will be noticed and possibly asked by the farmer who owns the fields what you are looking for, you can then start a conversation with him/her and hope you get a result.

That's good advice thank you. 

I was always worried about how the farmer would react if i was seen driving around in my pick-up looking over their land...lol! but it actually sounds like a good way of striking up a conversation especially if they approach me...

On 29/04/2020 at 10:42, oldypigeonpopper said:

Yep, similar. Nothing really beats....sorry for the pun...getting out and about amongst shooting folk and beating has to be a very good start.  I was born and bred in a farming atmosphere, worked as a cattle feed salesman for a while, so know just how difficult it is to get 'IN' so to speak.  Farmers ALWAYS have far more improtant things to do than talk to some guy they don't know asking either to shoot pigeons or even sell them some excellent cattle food.  As said above you need to be able and capable of being there for them literally 24/7.  I have a couple of places where I am on the end of the phone 24/7 and have had their confidence for over 25yrs.   It ain't easy by any means and with the likelyhood of a contracted game shooting season ahead then chances of getting a beating place are limited.  Best of luck.

Edited by Walker570

10 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

Yep, similar. Nothing really beats....sorry for the pun...getting out and about amongst shooting folk and beating has to be a very good start.  I was born and bred in a farming atmosphere, worked as a cattle feed salesman for a while, so know just how difficult it is to get 'IN' so to speak.  Farmers ALWAYS have far more improtant things to do than talk to some guy they don't know asking either to shoot pigeons or even sell them some excellent cattle food.  As said above you need to be able and capable of being there for them literally 24/7.  I have a couple of places where I am on the end of the phone 24/7 and have had their confidence for over 25yrs.   It ain't easy by any means and with the likelyhood of a contracted game shooting season ahead then chances of getting a beating place are limited.  Best of luck.

hello, thanks to reply, i am just hoping my favourite beaters days are still on

3 hours ago, Walker570 said:

Thanks Walker570, let’s keep our fingers crossed for next season 🤞🏻

After sending out approximately 30 letters to local farms i received my first call this morning..... 🙌🍾🙌🍾

Unfortunately the farmer had noticed that i don't have FAC and wanted to offer his services for any Deer control that may come up ....🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️

Oh well at least he said he thought that my introductory letters were very professional...😂🤣😂🤣