PART 2!!! Pigeons and crows over barley drilling hope you enjoy!

KillStone

The afternoon to my last video the crows stopped coming as it neared lunchtime and within an hour the pigeons started ( well a few crows continued but nowhere near as regular) Pigeons were offering some testing targets with many coming from out of the sun and plenty more that were just too good for me but I got my fair share. Have a watch hopefully something to whet your appetites until the lockdown is over. Had a nightmare editing this one so excuse any mistakes they're all intentional of course just like my misses 😅 hope you enjoy it all the same.

Thanks for watching and stay safe guys 👍

20 minutes ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

hello, good bag of pigeon and blackies, what is the gun you shoot with ? cartridges ?

Hi thanks was a brilliant day. Ive got a (very old) berretta silver pigeon which I have 3/4 chokes in both barrels and was putting lyalvale power pigeon 29g 6's through it (my cartridge of choice atm) 👍

3 hours ago, enfieldspares said:

May I suggest you'll have more "dead in the air" with smaller shot...say English #7...and a more open choke? My guess is you might be using half choke and English #6? Or I may be totally wrong!

Appreciate what you are saying and on a day when the birds come right into the pattern I’d perhaps even agree. Most of the birds shot that afternoon were dead when I picked them, and I don’t leave it long between clear ups in order to keep a tidy pattern. I appreciate its very difficult if not impossible to gauge range on the shots with the shotkam (something I will be remedying in my videos from now on I hope if my idea works!) but most birds were on the furthest edge of the decoys or further as they wouldn’t turn into my intended killzone- meaning most were shot at a range where I personally don’t feel comfortable with 7s (and I used to shoot with them a lot) however I appreciate everyone has their thoughts on loads and chokes and indeed different things work for different shooters. I think if anything I may possibly look for a bigger payload cartridge in the future (32gram used to be my choice years ago) but I do find the pigeon power a good compromise between the all important cost and performance for now. Thanks for watching and appreciate the comment 👍🏼 

stay safe and good shooting 

7 hours ago, enfieldspares said:

May I suggest you'll have more "dead in the air" with smaller shot...say English #7...and a more open choke? My guess is you might be using half choke and English #6? Or I may be totally wrong!

Thats an interesting comment. I pretty much only shoot blacks as there are so few greys around here. I would never consider using anything smaller than a 6. 

Enjoyed both your videos and congratulate you on your camera work !!

Just out of interest, I used Pigeon Power a couple of years back, and used to get some quite good kills for a light load.  You may be interested to know that the cartridge is loaded with Eu 6 shot, which is an equivalent UK 5, so fewer pellets, but more impact.  Patterns get a bit thin further out though !!

Here is the text of an email from Lyalvale from when I enquired about the shot size:

"Thank you for the email, in answer to your question yes we utilise a continental shot size in this cartridge which gives the combination of increased lethality due to shot size and speed."

Anyway, if you like them.....use them 🙂

7 hours ago, enfieldspares said:

Totally wrong. Smaller shot size tighter chokes seems to be the correct way round.

Both are actually correct. @JDog is right in general circumstances. However in this instance as he’s neatly back-ending them, @enfieldspares’s suggestion of a wider, denser pattern would help get a few pellets into the vitals.

Rather than change choke or pellet size  my recommendations would be A. getting the shot forward, onto the head/neck area, B. second barrel any winged birds, C. get a dog to ensure that winged birds are retrieved and dispatched instantly, before any others are shot. 

Thanks for all the comments guys. Just a small justification here- I can assure you that a very small (<5 I’d say) percentage of the birds shot that afternoon required humane dispatch. Most were either clean miss or clean kill and many of those shot as you should be able to tell in the video from the reactions of the birds were actually head shot. Even that very last bird- which was shot whilst out of the hide picking the bird shot before it, was actually stone dead when I walked over to it directly after the shot admittedly it didn’t look a clean shot but clearly in the time it took the bird to hit the floor it had expired so how bad Could the shot have been. Yes there are a couple birds that came down hard hit but not dead and those were retrieved as soon as they hit the floor and despatched as is only right to do so. As for a dog- I have one that was a cracking gundog but unfortunately and very quickly she went blind with a hereditary defect unknown to me obviously and as such she is no longer a working dog which has left me with a gap that I am considering trying to fill sooner rather than later with a pup but then that’ll take time to train and mature so for the meantime I am dogless which is admittedly not ideal. 

Please read this the right way as I actually quite like getting everyone’s different views on the videos positive or constructive criticism, and welcome them all so please keep them coming! But I just wanted to try shed some light on the background of the video to answer some of the concerns in the convo hopefully the videos will carry on improving to be able to show this beyond doubt without explanation- I’ll get there haha for now please keep on enjoying the videos 👍🏼Sorry for the essay! 

An excellent video, one of the clearest I have ever seen, you have certainly got your "settings" right.
I do appreciate you posting them and please don't stop.

We could have a wide ranging debate about cartridges/chokes and how far to lead a bird, but none of the opinions would be right, or wrong.
I find its what you are confident with that works for you and you don't seem to be doing too bad. 🙂