Building control advice

djrwood

After a bit of advice chaps, especially from anyone who has done something similar. I’ve got a double garage which has two single doors separated by a block work column. I want to get the column knocked out, install a beam and fit a double garage door. I’ve had confirmation that this doesn’t require planning permission which is a touch, but struggling to find out whether it needs building control.

My house is semi detached, with my bedroom being above the garage and the side of the garage being the shared wall with next door. I’ve read through the party wall act and as I’m not affecting the party wall, nor am I changing the use of the garage, the party wall act doesn’t apply. I’m also friendly with my neighbour and have been discussing the works with him already, which he is happy enough with.

So my query is around building control. There’s a list of exemptions on the website, which includes building new car ports, single storey detached extensions up to 30m2 etc, which in comparison opening the garage door to a double is a small project. Just wondered whether anyone on here has experience and can confirm if it needs building regs. I’m waiting a call back from the duty inspector on the matter. I just don’t want to pay £450 for an unnecessary building control notice.

thanks in advance

dan

£450? Where are you??

Just make sure the calculations for the beam are correct and that the job is done correctly. 

If for any reason there should be a need to involve LABC in the future then you should have a good record of what was done. Decent builder should have no issues.

Retrospective building control ( regularisation) costs 10% more than submitting beforehand.

Edd

if the garage is attached or forms part of the main house structure then you will need building regs, this can be done through the local council or through a private firm, but bear in mind alot of the private b.c. firm are about to go to the wall and their insurances will be gone with them. you will also need a structural engineer to calculate the  beam size, flange thickness and bearings/ padstones

bco from local authority shouldnt be more than £250 ish

and probably £150/£200 for the engineers calcs.

i would recommend getting the beam galvanised too

Hi Dan,

Any structural alteration will require building control sign off otherwise you may have a problem if and when you come to sell.

To do this you would need some floor plans showing what you intend to do I.e. existing and proposed, plus engineers calculations to size the beam. You then submit these to the local building control and notify them of your intention to start work then once the beam has been installed building control would need to inspect before it’s covered to sign it off.

If you need any help with plans etc let me know and I will help or point you in the right direction.

kind regards

westley

You need a structural engineer first and foremost. It is specifying rather than sizing that is key, especially if you have a brick outer leaf and are proposing to use a RSA (glav). They can often be whippy at 5-6m so may need bolting back to the inner beam at intervals. Depending upon height available you may either have a UB or UC section for the inner beam. The size and weight of the beam will be dependant upon any floor or line loads, plus allowable deflection for finishes etc. The bearing lengths, pad stones, cavity trays, weep holes and stop ends need to be correctly installed, obviously. 

Probably best to ask your S/E to undertake preliminary liaison with Building Control, be that the Local Authority Building Control or an Approved Inspector. 

If you don’t do it properly when you come to sell your house you would be amazed at what a good surveyor will note in their report. Once it is flagged to the buyer’s conveyancing solicitor and you have no paper trail you will become stuck for time. In a similar manner ensure you have clearly written correspondence with the planning authority. The official way to do this is a Lawful Development Certificate, but the planners may be happy to make a statement without the application fee. Once you have completed I would follow up with photographs of the before and after. This all needs to be filed properly so you have a paper trail when selling.

Edited by WalkedUp