Squirrel Feeder in the Garden

Drummer70

Good morning all!

I’m just looking at some advice from the more learned members of the forum. 

I have a squirrel feeder in the garden that has attracted rats (dispatched) and squirrels (ditto). But my biggest problem are the jackdaws that absolutely batter the peanuts. It’s only something I’ve noticed since being at home, as we all are due to the current challenges. They will come down mob handed to the feeder all through the day and I’m quite resentful of the fact that my hard earned is essentially going down the gullets of these *******. 

What is the present situation with stopping these raids? I’m so confused with the general licence conditions (I’m in Wales btw) I have  no idea if it would be legal for me to take a shot at them. The internet just throws out conflicting opinions which is if very little help. 

any assistance would be gratefully received!

Andrew. 

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Please ignore this if you are aware.

Remember Andrew, always start with the situation in law that "all birds are protected"

Not sure of the situation where you are but rest assured that plenty will take pleasure in seeing you in trouble.

Remember the RSPCA have no right of access in law unless a police officer is in attendance to ask for it. Always refuse to answer any questions and always turn them away, some devious way beyond their remit.

I think it likely your best solution would be to prevent them 'Daws' access with mesh of the correct size?

22 minutes ago, old man said:

Please ignore this if you are aware.

Remember Andrew, always start with the situation in law that "all birds are protected"

Not sure of the situation where you are but rest assured that plenty will take pleasure in seeing you in trouble.

Remember the RSPCA have no right of access in law unless a police officer is in attendance to ask for it. Always refuse to answer any questions and always turn them away, some devious way beyond their remit.

I think it likely your best solution would be to prevent them 'Daws' access with mesh of the correct size?

Good advice. 

Morning Drummer, you could change you squirrel feeder to s flip top feeder that would stop the Jackdaws 

If there a problem on normal bird feeders try boxing them in with large ish mesh, the smaller birds will flit straight through while the bigger birds watch on.

Just now, Mice! said:

Morning Drummer, you could change you squirrel feeder to s flip top feeder that would stop the Jackdaws 

If there a problem on normal bird feeders try boxing them in with large ish mesh, the smaller birds will flit straight through while the bigger birds watch on.

Yeah probably will do that and probably allow a space for the squirrels to get in, the nimble little blighters! 

35 minutes ago, Ultrastu said:

Stop feeding the birds .and they wont come .

Did you actually read the op before commenting ? 🤔

Drummer,,,, as old man said, wrap some mesh of suitable size to keep the jacks away. Or as Mice said, try a flip top feeder, which might deter the rats also, although that might not be the case. Good luck,,,, let us know how you get on 😉

46 minutes ago, Mice! said:

Yep. If you want to keep most other things out of the feed other than tree rats and small birds then a flip top is the way to go.  Easily built.  I drill some 1/4 inch holes in the front face and the bluetits etc can come help themselves . I have only had one hen pheasant learn to lift the lid.  This one is with  a hopper but you don't need that if you have it at home and can top it up frequently.  Pm me and e mail and I will send some plans if you want to make one up.

003.jpg

3 hours ago, Drummer70 said:

The internet just throws out conflicting opinions which is if very little help.

Sadly, these eggspurt legal opinions are worth exactly what you paid for them.

Have a read of the Welsh general licences on the BASC Website, and see if you can meet any of the criteria for controlling Jackdaws (GL004 Conservation of Wild birds is probably most likely).  Only you can decide this, nobody will be able to give you a definite yes or no.

Obviously, controlling jackdaws for the sake of the wild bird population, but at the same time feeding squirrels (assuming you're talking about greys) might not help your justification.

4 minutes ago, udderlyoffroad said:

Sadly, these eggspurt legal opinions are worth exactly what you paid for them.

Have a read of the Welsh general licences on the BASC Website, and see if you can meet any of the criteria for controlling Jackdaws (GL004 Conservation of Wild birds is probably most likely).  Only you can decide this, nobody will be able to give you a definite yes or no.

Obviously, controlling jackdaws for the sake of the wild bird population, but at the same time feeding squirrels (assuming you're talking about greys) might not help your justification.

Well that now comes to my second point the squirrel feeder is used to feed the song birds and when the opportunity to take a squirrel presents itself I’ll take it. 

im guessing that’s not allowed either?

6 minutes ago, Drummer70 said:

You need to read the GL's yourself and draw your own conclusions.

It is your responsibility as a shooter that you comply with the terms of the general licences, and by extension, the law.  I don't know your circumstances in detail.

But I think you might've confused people, is this Squirrel feeder, in fact, a bait station to lure them in so you can shoot them, or do you actually like feeding the squirrels?

You'll get no judgement from me either way, I happen to think squirrels are intelligent, resourceful creatures.  Yes even the greys, but I have and do shoot them to protect the song bird population on my perms (in England).

9 minutes ago, Drummer70 said:

Well that now comes to my second point the squirrel feeder is used to feed the song birds and when the opportunity to take a squirrel presents itself I’ll take it. 

There are probably thousands of feeders being used to bring grey squirrels to a safe point to be shot, for red squirrel conservation,  tree damage prevention and preventing song bird predation.

No reason why you can't shoot greys in your garden so long as all the usual safety rules are being followed. 

12 minutes ago, Mice! said:

There are probably thousands of feeders being used to bring grey squirrels to a safe point to be shot, for red squirrel conservation,  tree damage prevention and preventing song bird predation.

No reason why you can't shoot greys in your garden so long as all the usual safety rules are being followed. 

As above. Flip top in a safe place with a safe backstop (very thick board or steel plate) whack 'em and stack 'em. As said previously, if you drill 1/4 inch holes through the front face then small birds will happily feed there and act as decoys for the tree rats.  The feeding bay not shown on my previous photo also acts as a night time seat for Mr Owl, who will clean up any smooth tails below the feeder for you.

You will find the jackdaws have great difficulty in accessing the 1/4 inch holes but they are resourceful. I have jays coming to the flip tops but they don't cause too much trouble.

Edited by Walker570

9 minutes ago, bruno22rf said:

I dont get it - you clearly have no issues shooting Squirrels or Rats but hesitate to shoot Jackdaws - all vermin surely? If it were my garden the Jackdaws would be shot,simples.

Hi, thanks for posting. I have no issues with shooting them, I just wanted to know - with all these changes to the general licences and confusion of information - where I stood. 

1 hour ago, Drummer70 said:

Hi, thanks for posting. I have no issues with shooting them, I just wanted to know - with all these changes to the general licences and confusion of information - where I stood. 

Hi fella, shooting the birds mentioned on the GL in your garden "because they are scoffing the birdfood you put out for the birds" is a big no. There should be no confusion regarding that. I once had a "conversation" with a bloke who was doing the same with woodies "eating all the birdseed my wife is putting out for the birds",,,, he even put pictures up of the feed area,,,, normal fenced suburban garden 😏 he was shot down in flames !

Now, we don't know the exact circumstances/situation/position of your garden,,,, so this is advice if your garden is suburban 👍

At the end of the day, it's your decision,,,, 😉

13 minutes ago, JKD said:

Hi fella, shooting the birds mentioned on the GL in your garden "because they are scoffing the birdfood you put out for the birds" is a big no.

14 minutes ago, JKD said:

so this is advice if your garden is suburban

What nonsense.

Have a read of the WELSH GL and tell me where it specifically precludes these activities in a suburban garden?  How would you even, legally, define suburban?

Hi, thanks for your reply. It’s a totally enclosed garden, not overlooked in a rural village. 

I thinks it’s more of a case of doing what’s right as opposed to being  caught in the act. There’s no chance anyone would see me if I decided to start shooting them. 

13 minutes ago, udderlyoffroad said:

What nonsense.

Have a read of the WELSH GL and tell me where it specifically precludes these activities in a suburban garden?  How would you even, legally, define suburban?

Am I correct in thinking the NRW that governs the Welsh general licence?

16 minutes ago, udderlyoffroad said:

What nonsense.

So your interpretation of the WELSH GL is that you can shoot any bird mentioned on it, anywhere and for any reason.... TOSH !!!

And you do know what suburban means don't you ?

And I think, now that the OP has described his garden in more detail, he has come to a decision 😉

2 minutes ago, JKD said:

So your interpretation of the WELSH GL is that you can shoot any bird mentioned on it, anywhere and for any reason.... TOSH !!!

No that's not my interpretation.  Where on earth did you get that from?

2 minutes ago, JKD said:

And you do know what suburban means don't you ?

I have an idea, you may have a different idea.  Neither is good enough.  If the Welsh GL was to preclude such a thing, it would have to set out precisely what it defined as suburban. 

I've read one of the four, and it doesn't (GL004, pdf) and it makes no mention of gardens, suburban or otherwise.

English, and indeed Welsh law is predicated on the fact that you are allowed to do something unless the specifically legislated for otherwise.

Honestly, I've said to the OP and I'll say it to you, it is incumbent on us as shooters to read and comply with the terms of the applicable GL.  I do not understand the reticence of some people on here to actually go ahead and read it.  If your reading comprehension is that low that you cannot understand it, I would suggest re-evaluating whether you should have an SGC.  They are written in a pretty straight-forward manner, by government document standards anyway.

So, I ask again, where in the Welsh GLs does it preclude the use of undertaking these activities in a suburban garden?