Medical report - could this be an issue?

Hunter197

Hi folks

Following a few months of private 1-2-1 tuition and supervised group shoots on clays with my local club I’m looking to apply for SGC.

A few years ago I had my GP run a blood test & follow up health check following a single cycle of anabolic steroids when competing.

Given that I’ll declare this during the medical screening, despite the fact anabolics are legal for personal use I'm wondering if this test from 3 years ago is likely to result in a refusal? Everything else is in place, zero legal issues, convictions or cautions in my life. Good reference from my shooting coach & (aside from the above) no compliance issues on the application form.

Interested to hear your thoughts.

Cheers

20 minutes ago, Hunter197 said:

Hi folks

Following a few months of private 1-2-1 tuition and supervised group shoots on clays with my local club I’m looking to apply for SGC.

A few years ago I had my GP run a blood test & follow up health check following a single cycle of anabolic steroids when competing.

Given that I’ll declare this during the medical screening, despite the fact anabolics are legal for personal use I'm wondering if this test from 3 years ago is likely to result in a refusal? Everything else is in place, zero legal issues, convictions or cautions in my life. Good reference from my shooting coach & (aside from the above) no compliance issues on the application form.

Cheers

Is this an issue you are required to disclose on your SGC application form? Is it something your GP would need to refer to, when filling in your medical Proforma for the police?

If you feel it may be an issue it would be sensible, before you apply, to join a shooting association that offers insurance against police refusals to grant a certificate!....such as BASC.

44 minutes ago, panoma1 said:

Is this an issue you are required to disclose on your SGC application form? Is it something your GP would need to refer to, when filling in your medical Proforma for the police?

If you feel it may be an issue it would be sensible, before you apply, to join a shooting association that offers insurance against police refusals to grant a certificate!....such as BASC.

Unsure. The SGC application requires you to tick confirmation of no alcohol/drug abuse - I’m not sure what constitutes that. I think in most circumstances it wouldn’t be considered drug abuse, but I’ve had it show up on medical reports required for life insurance etc

7 minutes ago, Gordon R said:

As I understand the position, anabolic steroids are prescription only. Was your GP prescribing them or did you import them in person?

Non-prescribed. Legal for individual/personal use (as in my case) but not for distribution etc 

I wouldn't worry about it-its nothing they should be concerned about. I had a stroke in October 2019 at the age of 49 and recently renewed my FAC & SGC no problem. My feo is fully aware i suffered a stroke (i stated it & med report) and fully knows although technically it is a  brain impairment-i pose not risk to myself or others.

None of us are Teflon coated and we all get ill.

Non-prescribed. Legal for individual/personal use (as in my case) but not for distribution etc 

Forgive me, but you seem to be skirting around the issue. If they were not prescribed the steroids, then your options would have been to import them personally, as they can't legally be sent by courier, or bought them from someone who was dealing in them. If there was another option, I would be interested. 

If you bought them from a dealer, I suspect the Firearms Liaison Officer might ask a few difficult questions. 

13 minutes ago, Gordon R said:

Forgive me, but you seem to be skirting around the issue. If they were not prescribed the steroids, then your options would have been to import them personally, as they can't legally be sent by courier, or bought them from someone who was dealing in them. If there was another option, I would be interested. 

If you bought them from a dealer, I suspect the Firearms Liaison Officer might ask a few difficult questions. 

Fair point! Bought with ease online thought a website, delivered to the door

OP you say legal, but what were you competing at and surely that would have made their use illegal?

2 hours ago, Hunter197 said:

Hi folks

Cheers

The OP is satisfied everything is legal, whereas I am not.

I trust that there are no long term effects from the anabolic steroids. If that is the case, then I hope that the OP is successful, but am  not convinced that it will be plain sailing. These are class C drugs.

22 hours ago, andrewluke said:

a common side effect of anabolic steroids ;altered mood, irritability, increased aggression, depression or suicidal tendencies.

Off topic here, but steroids help with all those general. Testosterone especially. 

I wouldn't go back to the old me who wasn't on testosterone 

17 minutes ago, washerboy said:

Off topic here, but steroids help with all those general. Testosterone especially. 

I wouldn't go back to the old me who wasn't on testosterone 

you were probably suffering from low Testosterone so was prescribed it and your levels are now normal,there's no excuse for taking/using anabolic steroids illegally,

Edited by andrewluke

Well I'm that illegal person... 

Doctor wouldn't test me, get on with your life was his answer. I paid for a private test to find out my test levels were very low. 3 doctors wouldn't allow me to have TRT even based on my test results so I inject twice a week.

So class me as a smack head, junkie.. What ever you so wish. 

16 minutes ago, washerboy said:

Well I'm that illegal person... 

Doctor wouldn't test me, get on with your life was his answer. I paid for a private test to find out my test levels were very low. 3 doctors wouldn't allow me to have TRT even based on my test results so I inject twice a week.

So class me as a smack head, junkie.. What ever you so wish. 

what do you want??

I have just given you a perfect excuse.. 

If a person can not be subscribed steroids by several doctors but need them to function better as lab results prove, does this person carry on. Maybe even harm himself or others or does he do his homework and buy steroids from a gym or online and take them... Yes illigally but surely better 

21 hours ago, Gordon R said:

The OP is satisfied everything is legal, whereas I am not.

I trust that there are no long term effects from the anabolic steroids. If that is the case, then I hope that the OP is successful, but am  not convinced that it will be plain sailing. These are class C drugs.

And remember, he committed an offense by buying them online. I would suggest that firearms licensing would be negligent if they did not take this into consideration.

10 minutes ago, washerboy said:

I have just given you a perfect excuse.. 

If a person can not be subscribed steroids by several doctors but need them to function better as lab results prove, does this person carry on. Maybe even harm himself or others or does he do his homework and buy steroids from a gym or online and take them... Yes illigally but surely better 

if you need medication but no doctor will prescribe it then you need to take it further but no excuse for taking drugs illegally,will you tell your feo that you are taking medication not prescribed to you

Edited by andrewluke