SGC License Issue

Spoonbed

Ive moved house, and therefore need to transfer my SGC from Avon to Glos. Also, certificate expires middle of May.

Just had a look, and would now appear that I do so online, but I also need to have a GP letter? ( cant remember doing so on previous renewals?)

As well as the cost of this and the general hassle ( im still registered at my old GP address), I cant see the doctors being able to respond quickly enough, so that im lpotentially eft with an expired certificate?

Any thoughts please?

Thanks

You'll have to transfer/store guns with a friend, or lodge them with an RFD. Not cheap if you've got a few!! Almost no chance they can do it in 2 weeks, usually they ask for 8 weeks. Just got mine renewed, and I was in similar boat - ended up storing guns with a friend.

Each county has a different interpretation of GP requirement, Wiltshire are fine with just the application form filled out. Don't know about Glos.

6 minutes ago, Spoonbed said:

Ive moved house, and therefore need to transfer my SGC from Avon to Glos. Also, certificate expires middle of May.

Just had a look, and would now appear that I do so online, but I also need to have a GP letter? ( cant remember doing so on previous renewals?)

As well as the cost of this and the general hassle ( im still registered at my old GP address), I cant see the doctors being able to respond quickly enough, so that im lpotentially eft with an expired certificate?

Any thoughts please?

Thanks

So you have moved, you don't say how long ago and have not informed the Police Force that your SGC was issued by or informed the Police Force that you now come under and your renewal is in two weeks? I think you best email both forces Firearms Departments immediately.

Edited by TIGHTCHOKE

1 minute ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

So you have moved, you don't say how long ago and have not informed the Police Force that your SGC was issued by or informed the Police Force that you now come under and your renewal is in two weeks? I think you best email both forces Firearms Departments immediately.

Good advice wrt moving house. My pal left it 6 months and came to within a gnat’s whisker if losing his ticket. Fortunately he’s a smooth guy and managed to calm the situation. Be honest and apologetic if there is a delay. Do not tell any lies.

As you are still registered with your old GP, why dont you clarify whether he will produce the required letter for the Police. There is no restriction on which and where the GP is based.

This requrement (GPs letter) has been creeping in over the last year or so, but at present it is not mandatory with all county forces. So it is highly likely you were not asked to produce one on your previous renewal.

Also worth an email or phone call to Glos Firearms Dept. With GPs inundated with routine work and the effects of the virus, they may have a solution to your problem. But I would start looking into storage with a friend or RFD, because the turn around time for renewals is getting worse rather than better with the current lock-down situation. I would guess that a renewal within 2 weeks is almost certainly a non-starter.

Edited by JJsDad

10 minutes ago, JJsDad said:

As you are still registered with your old GP, why dont you clarify whether he will produce the required letter for the Police. There is no restriction on which and where the GP is based.

This requrement (GPs letter) has been creeping in over the last year or so, but at present it is not mandatory with all county forces. So it is highly likely you were not asked to produce one on your previous renewal.

Also worth an email or phone call to Glos Firearms Dept. With GPs inundated with routine work and the effects of the virus, they may have a solution to your problem. But I would start looking into storage with a friend or RFD, because the turn around time for renewals is getting worse rather than better with the current lock-down situation. I would guess that a renewal within 2 weeks is almost certainly a non-starter.

Many Thanks for the advise. I've just emailed Glos now, and will see what they come back with. If needs be, I'll transfer to a mate and transfer back at a later date.

2 minutes ago, oowee said:

BASC have a doctors letter service.

This service above through BASC 👍

For the  the first port of call in a timely renewal.

You can request your medical records under the GDPR act with no fee charged from your own Gp, they are required to respond to your request within 1 calendar month.

I have just received my renewal last week and mine does not expire for approx 6 months. I have spoken to my new FEO this afternoon re a query and have been informed that they are sending the renewals out sooner as requests for gp reports for renewals may take longer in the current climate. Under my registering authority it is made very clear in the renewal letter that no license will be issued if not supported by a gp record.

• 3 weeks later...
6 minutes ago, Spoonbed said:

Just a quick update:

Massive thanks to Glos constabulary, who managed to get everything done in time and renewal granted today. 
They were absolutely brilliant to deal with, with great communications to any concerns I had

Oh that they were all that way! 🤞
But that sounds like good service, well done Gloucester, credit where it’s due!