Lockdown too late

Walker570

8 minutes ago, AVB said:

Also one third want it to go on indefinitely, to the end of the year if necessary. Not sure where they conducted the poll but clearly a lot of thick people in the sample! 

They will while their at home getting paid, when the money stops people will go back to work. 

19 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

The Independant reports that two thirds of people believe the lockdown was brought in too late. Hindsight is a marvellous thing and very prevalent in Liberals.

Maybe maybe not, if we had locked down when say New Zealand did then things might have been different,  but were not at 6 weeks yet and some feel it's long enough.

Let's see what Boris says@5pm

as usual the door was bolted after the horse was already far to loose we wasted the opportunity of being a island by allowing just about anyone to fly in and disappear with a half baked lock down designed to slow not stop the virus after catching the virus boris definitely knows we acted to late 

16 minutes ago, AVB said:

Also one third want it to go on indefinitely, to the end of the year if necessary. Not sure where they conducted the poll but clearly a lot of thick people in the sample! 

errr    Have you ever read The Independant ? 

Just now, clangerman said:

as usual the door was bolted after the horse was already far to loose we wasted the opportunity of being a island by allowing just about anyone to fly in and disappear with a half baked lock down designed to slow not stop the virus after catching the virus boris definitely knows we acted to late 

and they are still pouring in illegally across the Channel and not being imediately sent back.  Good old Nigel is raising this issue at the moment on LBC and on youtube.  The virus is rife in the camps in France.  

Who knew the country had so many world class virologists, does make you wonder they have been working all this time? The Government plan seems to have worked as planned, the NHS coped and we didn't end up with dead bodies stacked in lorries as found in New York today. The Nightingale hospitals are only used by small if any numbers of patients, and we seem to have done no worse than any other country in a similar geographical or political position to our own. Yes it does leave a potential problem of a largely uninfected population at risk of infection but this will be the same where any sort of quarantine has been imposed.

Edited by kennett

We are a very highly populated country with a massive movement of people in and out from every corner of the world. New Zealand is in a quiet corner of the globe with nothing like the international movement. I strongly suspect that when the news of this virus first started to appear, a small amount of cases were already embedded and growing rapidly in the UK. I think whatever action we took we would always be'fire fighting' . One thing is for sure one thing we are not short of is hindsight experts !

Roughly speaking 40 million visitors to the UK each year compared to 3 million for NZ - that's roughly 14:1? They have around a thousand dead from corona whereas we are pushing 27 thousand - doesn't really stack up unless my maths is naff.Maybe we should be asking one of the 27000 if they think lockdown was too late?

Edited by bruno22rf

It was clearly too late (look at those countries that took early action). The original 'herd imunity' plan was clearly wrong.

Unfortunatey those responsible did not have the luxury of receiving informed advice ahead of the pandemic, or maybe they did?

9 minutes ago, bruno22rf said:

Roughly speaking 40 million visitors to the UK each year compared to 3 million for NZ - that's roughly 14:1? They have around a thousand dead from corona whereas we are pushing 27 thousand - doesn't really stack up unless my maths is naff.Maybe we should be asking one of the 27000 if they think lockdown was too late?

How many of the 27,000 were likely to die imminently anyway. As Boris said today there are so many variables involved that doing comparisons across countries at this point of time is pointless. 

and not sure how you intent to ask somebody who has died - via a medium? 

Edited by AVB

2 minutes ago, AVB said:

How many of the 27,000 were likely to die imminently anyway. As Boris said today there are so many variables involved that doing comparisons across countries at this point of time is pointless. 

This may sound rather callous, but there is a Macmillan nurse in the village who told us she shouts at the tv each time the death count in care homes and such facilities is mentioned on the news. She said the people in those homes are there for a reason, and as unfortunate as it is, how much longer do the children of 90 odd year old parents expect them to live. In her opinion, if people cared that much then they should have removed those parents from those facilities from the outset. 

2 minutes ago, Scully said:

This may sound rather callous, but there is a Macmillan nurse in the village who told us she shouts at the tv each time the death count in care homes and such facilities is mentioned on the news. She said the people in those homes are there for a reason, and as unfortunate as it is, how much longer do the children of 90 odd year old parents expect them to live. In her opinion, if people cared that much then they should have removed those parents from those facilities from the outset. 

she’s right how can you claim to have any sort of morals if you leave a elderly parent in a care home at this time unless you don’t have the medical expertise needed to care for them outrageous 

11 minutes ago, Scully said:

According to Scotland's figures half of their figures come from care homes, but the average age in care homes is 85! 

I don't think she's being callous just realistic, and this is why over 70s where told to isolate because the virus is more dangerous to them.

42 minutes ago, AVB said:

Yes - obviously I was seriously suggesting that a medium would be required - that notion that you tool my comment literally is worrying. And the word is intend not intent.

4 minutes ago, bruno22rf said:

Yes - obviously I was seriously suggesting that a medium would be required - that notion that you tool my comment literally is worrying. And the word is intend not intent.

That you for correcting my typo. Correct this one - ****. 

2 hours ago, Walker570 said:

The Independant reports that two thirds of people believe the lockdown was brought in too late. Hindsight is a marvellous thing and very prevalent in Liberals.

Must literally everything be politicised?

PS - I've been at my desk all day and not looked at the new yet, where does 27,000 come from?

Sorry but if that's the case the objective conclusion IS that the government have messed up on their predictions - that number was projected after the initial change in approach (herd immunity dropped)...

I work in technical innovation where we are constantly dealing with uncertainty, not the same thing of course, but I wouldn't fancy trying to justify that kind of over-run on any of my projects.

Just now, AVB said:

That you for correcting my typo. Correct this one - ****. 

Quality retort. The; grammar: police, will~ be* out- next!

52 minutes ago, clangerman said:

she’s right how can you claim to have any sort of morals if you leave a elderly parent in a care home at this time unless you don’t have the medical expertise needed to care for them outrageous 

54 minutes ago, clangerman said:

And just how and where are you going to put your 99 year old mother-in-law and care for her when your past your best yourselves anyway? 🙏

1 minute ago, das said:

And just how and where are you going to put your 99 year old mother-in-law and care for her when your past your best yourselves anyway? 🙏

mother in-laws obviously need to be left in a home lol i’m talking about people who stick them in for no more reason than convenience