Don't see many of these nowadays.

JDog

Rare these days.  All of the elms on my patch have gone...all that is, bar one which grew from a seed when I planted the wood and is still surving 20yrs later. It is I believe a witch elm and there are no other elms in the vicinity so hoping it survives.  My roadside hedge used to be full of them but now all gone.  

Frightens me now to remember climbing those 100ft elms to search for birds nest when I was but a kid.

Edited by Walker570

3 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

Rare these days.  All of the elms on my patch have gone...all that is, bar one which grew from a seed when I planted the wood and is still surving 20yrs later. It is I believe a witch elm and there are no other elms in the vicinity so hoping it survives.  My roadside hedge used to be full of them but now all gone.  

Frightens me now to remember climbing those 100ft elms to search for birds nest when I was but a kid.

I remember climbing the Elm trees too..............never gave a thought that I might fall !...........terrible shame that they were hit by Dutch elm........only seem to grow to 20-30 feet high these days before dying off.

3 minutes ago, steve_b_wales said:

I would love some of the seeds if possible, so that I can try and grow them. They would compliment my Oak, H.Chestnut, American red Oak, Beech and Walnut ones.

I love all the work you do Steve on growing these  beautiful  trees , keep going . Hope you get sorted with some .

50 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Jdog will you be harvesting some when they are ripe?

There’s the rub. When are they ripe?

35 minutes ago, steve_b_wales said:

I would love some of the seeds if possible, so that I can try and grow them. They would compliment my Oak, H.Chestnut, American red Oak, Beech and Walnut ones.

I wouldn’t know when to collect them but if you would like some I will be happy to send you some.

Edited by JDog

59 minutes ago, steve_b_wales said:

I would also like to have some please if it's possible. 

4 hours ago, JDog said:

There’s the rub. When are they ripe?

I wouldn’t know when to collect them but if you would like some I will be happy to send you some.

PM sent

1 hour ago, sandspider said:

Still got a few around me, small trees only - they die off then resprout from the base. I'll see if I can gather a handful for you Steve when they're a bit riper. (As a thank you for the oaks!)

Much appreciated. Happy to cover postage costs.

I've just checked, and the seeds are ready to be picked when they turn Brown - towards the end of May.

The one in my wood has produced seeds for a number of years but I was about to say I had not seen any seedlings. Just went down to get a photo or two and some seedlings were showing under the tree. Now the wood grows thousands of ash seedlings but these look slightly different, maybe elm, we will see.  I do believe it is a witch elm as you can see from the photos it has that rambling nature.  The seedling is the small two leafed one, the other is a small branch from the main tree.

004.jpg

006.jpg

011.jpg

013.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
On 01/05/2020 at 19:03, NoBodyImportant said:

Didn’t you all have a Elm disease a while back that killed them all?  

The tree tops die, but the roots live on and produce a bush, then a small tree, then the disease gets them.

One day a random mutation will mean we get them back,  may take a few millenia, but we will,

RS

Well Jdog kindly sent me some of the seeds today. I have planted the first batch about 3/4 of an inch deep, the next I will try deeper as I've never tried elm seeds before. 

Jdog please let me know how much I owe you. 

I phoned the old boy 93 year's young to tell him as they will go into his woodland and he's over the moon as we dont have any left around here. If they germinate they willeventually go next to Walker's walnuts. 

20200520_122836_copy_1512x2016.jpg

20200520_123529_copy_1512x2016.jpg

Edited by B725

my dad planted some elms at the end of our garden in the old house we lived I think he must have grown em from cuttings because they where well established when we moved , I would  be  8yrs old then so 63 yrs ago , i'll have a look and see  if they have thrived .