Ear protection

flyeruk

I have got a pair of Flaire titanium pro ear plugs.

I use them for sleeping but was wondering if they would be suitable for shooting as they are very comfortable to wear.

They are rated Ce certified and are recognized with a snr 36db rating.

Any thoughts?

Any ear protection is better than none. Protection that sits within the ear canal is the lowest level of protection, over ear models provide greater protection. Over ear cups and ear canal plugs used in conjunction provide the highest level of protection. That is what my sons will be using when I take them shooting. I guess it is your choice, I always carry in ear buds whilst shooting in case I lose my ear defenders but I find the buds of minimal use and the noise still aggravates my tinnitus. I don’t use ear protection with moderated rifles but they also aggravate my ears. Shooting indoors in the range is awful. Especially if on the bench and someone is standing next to you with a LBP revolver held level with your head. I have always had sensitive ears. 

Edited by WalkedUp

Anything is better than nothing. If shooting a lot of clays I put earplugs under my protacs, but I notice more trouble after loud noise exposure than most. Usually I just use the protacs as I can hear better than without them on and they are very comfortable.

Earplugs are a strange thing, I have tried all sorts and now stick with Howard Leigh max if I’m not going to need to take them in or out or will be wearing the motorcycle helmet as for me they are so comfortable I forget they are in. If I am likely to be tempted to take them out temporarily, for instance shooting with other people I use 3M ultra fit reusables. I also have a set of custom made from mould ones which are less comfortable and less effective despite having been sent back and redone. For me they were a complete waste of money.  

If the titanium ones work well for you go go for it, I found some varieties had a tendency to work a lot less effectively with movement and wonder if the rigid metal construction would make that more likely. I found the high overhead clays were the ones that tended to unseal earplugs just in time for the shot.

I only really shoot alone,whether I'm  decoying or shooting clay,which again I do on my own as I have a trap.

I have been using the napier pros for a few years now,and find them very effective .Only problem I do have with them occasionally, is when I'm decoying,wearing a camo Balaclava plus glasses,they can get in the way.

I find the titanium plugs really comfy,they have  memory foam inserts which fit really well.  I only use them for sleeping, but find they never come out with all the tossing and turning!

It just came to my mind today,that they might be suitable for shooting and was just wondering if anybody else had any.

Edited by flyeruk

1 hour ago, flyeruk said:

Having just done a bit of research, I think you may have it the wrong way round 

It seems,according to the hsc,that ear plugs give greater protection than over ear models.

Interesting, just having a look for definitive data. 

I would definitely be interested in improving my protection.