Gun Laws and Holiday Homes-Scotland

I inherited a cottage in Scotland, very rural.  I'll be spending half the year there and eventually live there full time.    Install a gun cabinet and take my guns when I stay there.   Assume that until it becomes my main residence I don't need to inform the police.....Or do I?    Sometimes the guns will be there while I am off on trips deeper into Scotland, when really maybe they should be back in my cabinet at my main home.    Secondly I want to leave an Air Rifle there and I know you have to licence them in Scotland so what are the implications there?

Thats an interesting question. I think you would need proper legal advice regarding storing firearms at an address which isn’t your home address, especially if unoccupied.  I wouldn’t ask local police as they’ll most likely just tell you what they want you to do and not what you can do. 
I think you would have to register the air rifle if you intend to use it or leave it in Scotland. 
Im just guessing anyhow, so first port of call would be legal advice. 

Edited by Scully

If you reside in Scotland you need an Air Weapon Certificate. This allows you to possess air weapons under the legal limit in Scotland.The air guns are not entered on your license. You are licensed, not the guns. The way it should be with all guns. If you are just a visitor to Scotland, you apply for a visitor permit. I’m not sure how long that lasts for.

Regarding the firearms, I would recommend seeking advice from your licensing department and Police Scotland for a definite answer.