Where are your takeaways really prepared?

Vince Green

Its not often now that we have a takeaway, in fact i think 4 or 5 times over the shooting season (we had a few after we had been out picking up) Having supplied a few over the years and seen inside the kitchens of s few i am particular where i eat. Having someone i know carrying out pest control in restaurants its quite alarming the amount that have big problems with both internal and external infestations of pests. 

In the last 7or8 days we have enjoyed Sweet and Sour Chicken, Lamb Balti and Tandoori Chicken - all cooked at home for a fraction of Takeaway prices - complete Indian, say Tandoori Chicken, is well under £10 for 2 even using premium Chicken Thighs - under £7 if you buy from the likes of Aldi. It is so easy once you have bought your spices - 50p/100g in Morrisons and they will keep you in Curries for months.

11 minutes ago, bruno22rf said:

In the last 7or8 days we have enjoyed Sweet and Sour Chicken, Lamb Balti and Tandoori Chicken - all cooked at home for a fraction of Takeaway prices - complete Indian, say Tandoori Chicken, is well under £10 for 2 even using premium Chicken Thighs - under £7 if you buy from the likes of Aldi. It is so easy once you have bought your spices - 50p/100g in Morrisons and they will keep you in Curries for months.

But don't you miss that feeling of dread a couple of hours after eating an indian takeaway when your stomach feels like someone's pressed basement on a very fast moving lift. And you just make it to the john and all hell literally lets loose.

Edited by fatchap

10 minutes ago, bruno22rf said:

Im a dab hand at most home cooking but never can make an Indian like they do in their restaurants!! 

1st trick Lloyd is grate your Onions and squeeze the water out of them - second is to gently cook your base Spices before adding any ingredients - there's loads of cheats you can do such as using a small Pilchard tin inside the Curry 10 minutes before it's ready - put a burning BBQ coal in the tin and drop Oil onto it - put a lid on the whole affair and your Curry has an amazing Tandoori style flavour.Practice makes perfect but if you want it just like the Pro chefs then you need to use Ghee and such like.

14 minutes ago, fatchap said:

But don't you miss that feeling of dread a couple of hours after eating an indian takeaway when your stomach feels like someone's pressed basement on a very fast moving lift. And you just make it to the john and all hell literally lets loose.

I’m not sure where you’re eating, but perhaps they need investigating? 🙂

I love a good Chinese or Indian, and am missing them more than any other food. Just heard the other day my home town Indian restaurant is reopening for take aways only at the moment, which I’m pleased to hear. They’re a great bunch of lads and I wish them well. Can’t wait to get back to normal. 

1 minute ago, bruno22rf said:

1st trick Lloyd is grate your Onions and squeeze the water out of them - second is to gently cook your base Spices before adding any ingredients - there's loads of cheats you can do such as using a small Pilchard tin inside the Curry 10 minutes before it's ready - put a burning BBQ coal in the tin and drop Oil onto it - put a lid on the whole affair and your Curry has an amazing Tandoori style flavour.Practice makes perfect but if you want it just like the Pro chefs then you need to use Ghee and such like.

Will give that a go; I’m always disappointed with my home made curries. 👍

I have never had food delivered as a takeaway, and collected - I have very occasionally had fish and chips - and a pizza I think once.  However curry cooked at home is a regular staple part of my diet.  Agreed - not quite the same as restaurant curry, but very nice to eat all the same.  I have a sizeable (slightly worryingly so!) collection of 'curry books' and make in batches, freeze overnight in portion sized trays then 'vac-pack' the frozen blocks.  Keeps beautifully that way.

The last chinese takeaway i had was rotten. It had a hair in the rice and the spare ribs were filth.

Never will i have a takeaway again. I sometimes make my own indian and as John said not the same but at least 

i know its cooked with fresh and clean ingredients. 

I've eaten a pheasant curry for my lunch at work , pretty much every day for the last six months . My Mrs throws the curry together when she cooks tea, then microwaves it and puts it in my food flask the next morning.  I think I've become addicted to hot and spicy food.

My local indian no matter what you order its red, everything from bombay potatoes to chicken Korma is bright red. 

The Local chinese always amazes me at how wrong they get your order. Something always missing or something we didn't order. Never order the spare ribs, I think they go over the woods and pick up small sticks, and smother them in sauce and hope you don't notice.

Will be having Turkish tonight, new one opened up down the road in what used to be a pub. So far everything we have had has been tip top.

Edited by fatchap

hello, am not a take away person my self but i do see people from certain eating places in Abingdon buying off the end by date shelves in tesco

Just now, oldypigeonpopper said:

hello, am not a take away person my self but i do see people from certain eating places in Abingdon buying off the end by date shelves in tesco

seems every taxi driver in town is out delivering

I have a 30cm steel wok and a good Chinese cookery book. Also a very nice book called a Step by Step Guide to Indian Cookery. I have a drawer with pots of all the herbs and spices for my favourite meals. They turn out really well if you cook using the individual spices rather than curry sauces or pastes.

4 hours ago, Lloyd90 said:

Im a dab hand at most home cooking but never can make an Indian like they do in their restaurants!! 

I can relate to that. I met a Sikh guy in the late 60's and visited his home in Poplar where his wife showed my how to cook a curry. To this day I can never get it like hers. Perhaps it's in the blood. The nearest I can get to it is The Curry Guy recipe for Punjabi Chicken.

Lloyd, have you found the Bristol Sweet Mart in St Mark's Road? Amazing source of Indian spices, fresh coriander and veg. Also, Wai Hee Hong at Eastgate. Great source of both Chinese and Indian ingredients.

As to take aways, I would never use deliveroo etc. I only order from places I have eaten and then collect.

5 hours ago, Scully said:

I’m not sure where you’re eating, but perhaps they need investigating? 🙂

I love a good Chinese or Indian, and am missing them more than any other food. Just heard the other day my home town Indian restaurant is reopening for take aways only at the moment, which I’m pleased to hear. They’re a great bunch of lads and I wish them well. Can’t wait to get back to normal. 

Will give that a go; I’m always disappointed with my home made curries. 👍

Not that keen in Indian curry but I love Chinese curry, for years I tried to find out how they made it taste like it does, I have bought the curry paste from Wing-Yip but its not the same as the takeaway, even asked a few takeaways for the recipe but they declined.

Then about 5 years ago I found a YouTube video by Khoan Vong on making authentic Chinese curry sauce and its bang on, the guy has a number of videos telling you all the secrets of the Chinese takeaway meal…https://www.youtube.com/user/vongs510/videos

Chinese curry sauce, you will have to adjust the amounts as he is making enough for his takeaway business, but you can freeze it…https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=el9JWSB8G2M&ab_channel=Ziang'sFoodWorkshop

49 minutes ago, Retsdon said:

Ghee to fry the onions and spices, and yogurt in the sauce.

Rather reminds me of why I make 'curry light'.  Despite loving Indian food, it is not the healthiest - and when I cook, I tend to use slightly 'lighter' ingredients, which aren't authentic, but do make a very nice meal (had some this evening) and I feel less guilty afterwards!

59 minutes ago, Lloyd90 said:

Yes I think Ghee might help quite a bit 👍🏻

Before u use ghee to make it thicker and give it that texture, try blending an onion. Completely blend it up  add it to the spices and brown in the usual fashion.  Your curry will have that thick texture you get in the restaurant's without the heart attack inducing element. 

My wife prefers mine to the curry shops.  never had any complaints even if harsh critics are over, but then I've been eating it since about 3 and its easily cooked. Chinese isint exactly difficult either if you can follow a recipe and dont mind buying a few spices and fresh herbs. 

Edited by GingerCat

2 hours ago, old'un said:

Not that keen in Indian curry but I love Chinese curry, for years I tried to find out how they made it taste like it does, I have bought the curry paste from Wing-Yip but its not the same as the takeaway, even asked a few takeaways for the recipe but they declined.

Then about 5 years ago I found a YouTube video by Khoan Vong on making authentic Chinese curry sauce and its bang on, the guy has a number of videos telling you all the secrets of the Chinese takeaway meal…https://www.youtube.com/user/vongs510/videos

Chinese curry sauce, you will have to adjust the amounts as he is making enough for his takeaway business, but you can freeze it…https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=el9JWSB8G2M&ab_channel=Ziang'sFoodWorkshop

Thats handy too. Thankyou.