Gravity water feeders

Anyone got any ideas for a gravity fed water feeder? 

I am thinking a few big blue barrels sat on top of a few breeze blocks of pallets to raise it up and some pipe or similar on the bottom to allow the birds to drink from? 

On 02/05/2020 at 12:29, Lloyd90 said:

Anyone got any ideas for a gravity fed water feeder? 

I am thinking a few big blue barrels sat on top of a few breeze blocks of pallets to raise it up and some pipe or similar on the bottom to allow the birds to drink from? 

we use 45 gallon blue drum on pallets gravity fed by hose pipe into a length of  plastic 4" waste pipe on feet that has loads of chicken water dripper valves screwed in  along it.

6 hours ago, Remimax said:

we use 45 gallon blue drum on pallets gravity fed by hose pipe into a length of  plastic 4" waste pipe on feet that has loads of chicken water dripper valves screwed in  along it.

That’s exactly what I was thinking of 👍🏻👍🏻

ibcs need to be black as with the clear ones the water goes green.

we bought a load of the little red toggle water thingys off the bay cheap as chips and  they are great.

also have normal drinkers but don't they just luv sitting on top crapping in em.

54 minutes ago, Lloyd90 said:

That’s exactly what I was thinking of 👍🏻👍🏻

only think i forgot to mention was a vent on top at the far end to bleed it till full. i just used one of those self drilling /threading tin roof sheet fixings.

40 minutes ago, Remimax said:

only think i forgot to mention was a vent on top at the far end to bleed it till full. i just used one of those self drilling /threading tin roof sheet fixings.

And put the outlet a couple of inches from the bottom because of any debris getting in. 

3 hours ago, B725 said:

And put the outlet a couple of inches from the bottom because of any debris getting in. 

never tried the valves on their side ,we just put a piece of green scotch bright in the tank outlet as a filter seemed to work ok.

We use the blue barrels, outlet tap 2” from the bottom. These are on a few pallets to get the height. We use hozzlelock hosepipe fittings to everything. This makes it so easy to change things about. The hose runs to smaller 10 ltr (I think) barrels they are kind of square. Laid flat the sides are cut out leaving a 3” lip at the bottom as a water tray, the hose runs into a small low pressure ballcock, so it fills automatically. The top of the small barrel stops leaves and stuff falling in the water. 

I think that makes some sense. 

• 2 months later...

Use wot ever u want as a tank, a lot will depend on the size of pen/ammount of birds. Or even usual ammount of rain.

I use car tyre valves, take the middle guts/valve out it and a small 10mm bore pipe squeezes on it nicely and use wot ever drinkers u prefer.

Drill a 10mm hole in tank and pull valve throu,  last for ages too.

Have bought hanging drinkers as well as some type and other types on the deck and made some out off split 5 gallon drums and low pressure ballcocks

Even put tyre valves on 5 gallon tanks for doing individual partridge pens.

Easy to replace just pull pipe off and on to next drum, never had to use a jubilee clip yet.

The only problem I have  had with the small pipe is if bleeding it long distances thou a lot of drinkers, lot of opportunity for air blocks.

Plus mice eating it.

U can also just attach a normal plumbers tank connector if u want to run 20 or 25mm alky pipe

Really will all depend on wot ur planning, scale, kinds of drinkers, type of pipes, distance they run/ head of pressure etc how u medicate ur birds.

If medicate water u mibbee want a 45 gallon drum below an IBC so u only medicate the drum

The small pipe worked for me on a DIY shoot level and easy to work with add drinkers without needing connections but on longer runs or lack of head I'd go for larger bore pipe atleast for the main runs