Sign in to follow this  
twenty

Marsh tit

Found a Marsh tits nest today, in a split in a tree stump.......6 eggs, so probably an incomplete clutch so far......bird identified as it left the nest and landed nearby.

I’ve never seen one to my knowledge. Good find.

2 minutes ago, JDog said:

I’ve never seen one to my knowledge. Good find.

Yeah, well pleased........ I've never found a Marsh tits nest before.

Well spotted! Nested locally last year and they ring a few each year up one of the farms. Always had trouble telling them from willow tits at distance if they not calling. Heard my first cuckoo of year Thursday. Loads of sky larks about. Huge hatches of St Marks (thorn) flys over last few days been a bonus for all birds, especially feeding young.  NB

That's good news on the sky larks.  I must admit I have difficulty in remembering the differences between those little 'black' head tit species. Whats the one with a white stripe down its neck?

Is that a marsh tit?

13 hours ago, Walker570 said:

That's good news on the sky larks.  I must admit I have difficulty in remembering the differences between those little 'black' head tit species. Whats the one with a white stripe down its neck?

Is that a marsh tit?

No that's the coal tit,........Marsh and Willow tit are very difficult to tell apart, their song is a good way of telling, and also, the marsh tit has a small white line between the mandibles of  its beak, and lighter colouring on the wings.

The nest is a giveaway as well, Marsh tits use existing tree hollows, whereas Willow tits excavate their own, in rotting tree stumps.

Many thanks.  I have a number of coal tits in my wood and visiting the tree rat flip tops.  I am pretty certain I have seen one or other of the marsh/willow variety as well.

4 hours ago, Walker570 said:

Many thanks.  I have a number of coal tits in my wood and visiting the tree rat flip tops.  I am pretty certain I have seen one or other of the marsh/willow variety as well.

You may well have seen both Marsh and Willow, they are both red listed with declining populations, so are not particularly common , but they are a devil to  identify, without knowing their distinguishing features, and calls,......Marsh tits tend to favour drier broadleaf woodland, whereas Willow tits prefer damper, wetter woods.

All the best.