Tree Creeper .

derbyduck

7 minutes ago, derbyduck said:

Saw my first ever Tree Creeper this morning whilst walking my pup ,are they common ? and I may have been looking in the wrong places !  

They are not rare, but they are elusive, they always work their way up and around a tree, before flying to the next and starting again from low down.

They are only the same body  size as a wren, but have a relatively large curved bill for insect extraction,  and a stiffened tail to balance them against the tree.

7 minutes ago, derbyduck said:

thanks, I spent most of my life in the countryside and I must have been looking for some thing else when they where about LOL

If you see a bird working its way down a tree trunk, it will invariably be a Nuthatch, they have very strong feet and do not use their tails for support.

They are very elusive being the colour they are and small.  I see them very often whilst sitting waiting for tree rats. It is facinating watching them check every crevise in the bark.

ALSO I didn't realise that nuthatches actually stash food in the crevises of trees until I watched one fetching the peanuts from my flip top squirrel feeder and bringing it to the oak tree only 10ft away and carefully lodging it in the bark before returning for another.  Clever little bird.

My Sqirrel feeder location is a birdwatchers paradise.

See a Tree Creeper every visit pecking away on a large beech not 10 yards away.

Nuthatchs, Wrens, Goldcrests and the very occasional Firecrest, right in front of me.

Apparently the word Nuthatch means Nut Storer.

Shot a Jay and a Female Sparrowhawk struck it before it hit the deck.

Its better than the Television, which isn't saying much !

Yes, even if Mr Bushy Tail fails to turn up, lots of activity to watch at close quarters. The one hen pheasant I know to have learned how to lift the lid, cracks me up every time she turns up, because she stands and looks around for a couple of minutes to check no others are looking before she flicks the lid up , grabs a couple of bits of maize or a peanut and then looks around again as if nothing has happened.  I've had others fly up and try and get some through the small bird holes but they have never learned to lift the lid.   The wood mice have and I have them on trail cam.

When I've been in cammo in the woods shooting Pigeons and Corvids (not Covids) then I've seen Tree Creepers going up tree trunks just a foot or so away from me. So long as I stayed stock still it was amazing how close various wildlife got. Owls, Nuthatch, Deer etc.

Loved it.

4 hours ago, KFC said:

When I've been in cammo in the woods shooting Pigeons and Corvids (not Covids) then I've seen Tree Creepers going up tree trunks just a foot or so away from me. So long as I stayed stock still it was amazing how close various wildlife got. Owls, Nuthatch, Deer etc.

Loved it.

Yeah, I get this too and have had many 'close encounters',,,, brilliant stuff 😀

Have only seen Tree Creepers a few times. Mostly on a big old Ash tree 15ft from my GF's kitchen door 😊

Edited by JKD

On 03/05/2020 at 08:51, twenty said:

Around these parts we refer to them as tree mice.

that's a brilliant name for them I did think it was a mouse  first off .

Edited by derbyduck
fat fingers