Scottish route 500

db135

Any you ladies and gents done the Scottish route 500? I really have a itch to do it. Was thinking doing it in my series 3 and camp or B&B on a evening. Won’t be this year now. I see there is a few guide books you can buy anybody recommend one? 

I’ve done part of the North Coast 500, it’s fantastic. Make time to visit the beaches and good cafes. There are lots of AirBnB type cottages, my wife’s family up there own a few between Kyle of Tongue and Betty Hill (inherited from deceased family members, the housing market makes them not worth selling). If you stay in these types of places, or campsites and eat at local cafes you are  putting money into the local economy which is much needed. 

6 minutes ago, WalkedUp said:

I’ve done part of the North Coast 500, it’s fantastic. Make time to visit the beaches and good cafes. There are lots of AirBnB type cottages, my wife’s family up there own a few between Kyle of Tongue and Betty Hill (inherited from deceased family members, the housing market makes them not worth selling). If you stay in these types of places, or campsites and eat at local cafes you are  putting money into the local economy which is much needed. 

Am not much of a cook so will definitely be eating out a lot 😂👍

21 minutes ago, db135 said:

Any you ladies and gents done the Scottish route 500? I really have a itch to do it. Was thinking doing it in my series 3 and camp or B&B on a evening. Won’t be this year now. I see there is a few guide books you can buy anybody recommend one? 

My Mother in law was planning on doing it this year but probably not now.

16 minutes ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

hello, that sounds a nice thing to do, never been to Scotland, i did see channel 5 scenic train journeys in Scotland, good luck if you give it a go:good:

No idea how old you are O,P,P but its certainly a great place to visit if you can get up there, some lovely beaches and countryside.

A word of warning for anyone planning doing the North Coast 500,especially on bikes,the revenue rats (traffic cops) constantly prey on folk on this route & are ruthless about it,they make an absolute fortune dishing out speeding tickets & i'm not just talking about folk doing warp 3,they will have you for only a few mph over the limit,they also know exactly where to hide in unmarked cars,as you can imagine there are a lot of campervans on the route & they cause tailbacks,most folk caught up in the tailbacks will overtake,the revenue rats know exactly where folk are likely to overtake & that they are likely to exceed 60mph to do so,that's where they get ya!,i have met & spoken to several biker tourists & heard about plenty others & locals who were unfortunately nailed & were only just on the bad side of 60mph,go & enjoy the run folks but be alert!

15 minutes ago, Mice! said:

No idea how old you are O,P,P but its certainly a great place to visit if you can get up there, some lovely beaches and countryside.

hello, 70 now, my sons grandmother was of Scottish descent, maybe one day!!!

Have done it twice now and enjoyed it greatly. It does get very busy in the summer and many of the roads are single track with passing places. Last time I tried to "Wing it" without booking forward accommodation, not easy without Wifi. Found some lovely little eateries in the middle of no where with fantastic views of the Lochs and coastline.

Go for it, the memories will stay with you. A lot of people in the UK don`t realise how beautiful the highlands are. Allow a couple of weeks if you can so you can further explore into the wilds off of the trail.

I have had my car serviced a few weeks back ready to head North again, (to do the trail) as soon as the "Lock down" is lifted, will not be flying any where for a few years yet.

Edited by Flyboy1950
Spelling

pal of mine done it last year after retiring-rode it on a retro motorbike and done some wild camping-looks amazing but the midges on the west coast were a plague-he sent one pic where he was covered from head to toe in them.

f.

4 minutes ago, Fuddster said:

pal of mine done it last year after retiring-rode it on a retro motorbike and done some wild camping-looks amazing but the midges on the west coast were a plague-he sent one pic where he was covered from head to toe in them.

f.

If you kill one up here 6 million turn up at the funeral  😀😀😀😀

1 hour ago, Mice! said:

I’m 44 years young 😂

A word of warning for anyone planning doing the North Coast 500,especially on bikes,the revenue rats (traffic cops) constantly prey on folk on this route & are ruthless about it,they make an absolute fortune dishing out speeding tickets & i'm not just talking about folk doing warp 3,they will have you for only a few mph over the limit,they also know exactly where to hide in unmarked cars,as you can imagine there are a lot of campervans on the route & they cause tailbacks,most folk caught up in the tailbacks will overtake,the revenue rats know exactly where folk are likely to overtake & that they are likely to exceed 60mph to do so,that's where they get ya!,i have met & spoken to several biker tourists & heard about plenty others & locals who were unfortunately nailed & were only just on the bad side of 60mph,go & enjoy the run folks but be alert!

A contender for most ill-judged post of the year. I resent the Police being referred to as "revenue rats". They don't make the law, merely enforce it. If people didn't break the law, they wouldn't be getting tickets. If you can't read a speedometer, I suggest you retire from motoring - it isn't for you.

I have sailed and kayaked some of the west coast. The end of May I was due to row from Ardnamurchan Point to Kyle of Lochalsh. It is probably some of the most beautiful scenery in the world. The original 'Bounty' adverts were filmed there rather than the caribbean. The sand is often white and the sea torquoise. If you go find some way to get on the water even if only for a day. https://arisaigseakayakcentre.co.uk/contact-us

Its truly breath taking but to be enjoyed at leisure. The whole route 500 idea is something of a distraction to the idea of breathing in the beauty of the place. For some the goal is completing the 500 and ticking the box. They will have been and done it but seen nothing on the way through.  

Have done all but the east coast bit. Most spectacular for me is through Sutherland. Views across the Summer Isles are hard to beat. Suggest a trip to Handa Island to see the sea birds and elsewhere brown trout fly fishing on the lochs if you are into it. Give yourself time and keep the tank filled up. Was hoping we might be able to get up there again this summer but doubt it will be possible now.

8 minutes ago, Dave at kelton said:

Have done all but the east coast bit. Most spectacular for me is through Sutherland. Views across the Summer Isles are hard to beat. Suggest a trip to Handa Island to see the sea birds and elsewhere brown trout fly fishing on the lochs if you are into it. Give yourself time and keep the tank filled up. Was hoping we might be able to get up there again this summer but doubt it will be possible now.

And take time to go to the Shorehouse Restaurant, which is right next to where you get the boat to handa. It's definitely a treat meal, but 100% worth it. Tiny place but idyllic and food of stunning quality, a lot of it straight off their own boat or a few miles up the road from Kinlochbervie

Whatever you do, please please PLEASE take time to see the local stuff and do the touristy things; it's how a lot of the small communities up and down the NC500 make money and they need it. The route was sold to locals who were worried about the endless noise and traffic without much revenue increase that it would be a boost to the local economies. So far I don't think it's really happened, so if you're able to, put back in where you can. Go to the local pubs, visit the local music festivals (Elphin's got a good'un) and so forth. Highly worth it.

Oh and Sutherland's absolutely breathtaking. Some of the best scenery anywhere in the UK is up there!

1 minute ago, chrisjpainter said:

And take time to go to the Shorehouse Restaurant, which is right next to where you get the boat to handa. It's definitely a treat meal, but 100% worth it. Tiny place but idyllic and food of stunning quality, a lot of it straight off their own boat or a few miles up the road from Kinlochbervie

Whatever you do, please please PLEASE take time to see the local stuff and do the touristy things; it's how a lot of the small communities up and down the NC500 make money and they need it. The route was sold to locals who were worried about the endless noise and traffic without much revenue increase that it would be a boost to the local economies. So far I don't think it's really happened, so if you're able to, put back in where you can. Go to the local pubs, visit the local music festivals (Elphin's got a good'un) and so forth. Highly worth it.

Oh and Sutherland's absolutely breathtaking. Some of the best scenery anywhere in the UK is up there!

Absolutely agree on all of this. That little restaurant is fabulous.we always try and get down little tracks were there is any sort of sign indicating crafts, coffees and the like. Scourie Hotel if you can get a table and they control much of the loch fishing. They will all desperately need our income when they come out of this lockdown.

48 minutes ago, Gordon R said:

A contender for most ill-judged post of the year. I resent the Police being referred to as "revenue rats". They don't make the law, merely enforce it. If people didn't break the law, they wouldn't be getting tickets. If you can't read a speedometer, I suggest you retire from motoring - it isn't for you.

Yes.

It's also bone-headed to speed along those roads. You'll miss far too much, you're going to make the locals hate you, and the chances of you being able to stop when a sheep, deer, walker, dog, etc walk out in front of you are greatly reduced. Oh and it's against the law. Slow down, enjoy the scenery and don't make people hate you. A nicer way to enjoy a good road!

Done the north shore  several times first in a 1977 MGBGT camped at Durness.  Driving around Loch Eribol is fantastic, you dont want to be speeding.   Unusual peninsula with lime kilns and old house which was under renovation 10 years ago, a many years old wool clip was still lying in an outhouse.

Blackpowder