Scottish route 500

db135

I am sure that when some people send in their cert renewals, they address it to The Revenue Rats. Keyboard warriors. I worry that such people actually have a cert.

That said, a good friend and his wife had planned to do the 500 this summer, but they other way round - so they tell me. Some really nice roads in Scotland and some great scenery. Leisurely touring and a different pace of motoring life.

Thanks for all the reply’s guys loads good points 👍 and definitely no speeding “Bert” my old series 3 petrol landy he’s about done at 45mph on a good day 😂 but as said that’s the key slowly does it and enjoy the scenery and will definitely be up for eating out in pubs and cafes 

A recommendation for anyone doing the NC500,pull in to the 'La Mirage' chippy in Helmsdale & treat yourself to one of their legendary haddock suppers,you will not be disappointed & i challenge anyone to actually finish it,you pay for a fish supper & believe me you get a fish supper!,you can easily access the Helmsdale river bank from the end of the street,a nice spot to enjoy your chippy IF there's enough breeze to keep the midgies on the ground,failing that the harbour is just along through the village & is usually midgie free..........

Helmsdale-Chippy.jpg

On 03/05/2020 at 11:34, oldypigeonpopper said:

hello, that sounds a nice thing to do, never been to Scotland, i did see channel 5 scenic train journeys in Scotland, good luck if you give it a go:good:

You sir should be whipped at dawn, flayed with a rose bush etc. never been to Scotland!  Shame on you sir!

27 minutes ago, 51/50 said:

A recommendation for anyone doing the NC500,pull in to the 'La Mirage' chippy in Helmsdale & treat yourself to one of their legendary haddock suppers,you will not be disappointed & i challenge anyone to actually finish it,you pay for a fish supper & believe me you get a fish supper!,you can easily access the Helmsdale river bank from the end of the street,a nice spot to enjoy your chippy IF there's enough breeze to keep the midgies on the ground,failing that the harbour is just along through the village & is usually midgie free..........

Helmsdale-Chippy.jpg

That looks delicious 

Did the 500 and some,.did the coast road all around Scotland in a camper. I took a month over it and loved every minute of it. I have a mate has a farm just past Aros bridge on Mull. Must have had twenty holidays up there over the years. (I prefer the west coast). If you can avoid June, July and August they're the worst midge months. Smidge works and anything containing bog myrtle extract keeps them at bay but nothing will keep them all away. But then that's part of Scotland. lol

I did the east coast, orkneys, and back wildcamping over a few days a couple of years ago. Lands end to John’o’groats via the outer Hebrides, and a week touring with a car, fifteen years ago.

Its a cracking part of the world and worth taking some time to see. On the last trip we went in late October early November from Yorkshire to St. Andrews, St Andrews to the Orkneys, a day and a bit on the Orkneys then went back over two days. It would have been possible to get up and down in a day if need be but we took more scenic routes and didn’t push too hard. 

My brother has it booked up for the end of June for his 60th in his Porsche. But he’s not sure it Will happen with corona as he lives in Dubai at the moment. 
got a mate who did iron his motorbike and saiditwasreally good.