Begara seat - opinions

Centrepin

My seat although incredibly comfortable is too heavy unless I can drive to my hide and dump it there. 

I struggle with walking and need a sturdy but not overly heavy adjustable seat. 

What's the opinion of the Begara seat sold by Pigeon Watch please.

Not opinions on price, just function, carry weight and set up on real steep ground.

I have a Bergara stag seat and used it for a long time. I fitted a sling to it and it was handy to carry from gun bus or Landie to my peg on shoot days.  I also used it on days pigeon crow decoying.   Not the most comfortable of chairs but works very well and the fact that the legs are individually adjustable great on uneven ground in a blind.  I saw a folding three legged stool when in Slovenia and on returning made a couple and they are easier to carry as they fold smaller and slightly lighter, so i use those all the time now.  Bush wear sell them I believe but I thought the price was a bit high and made my own, A couple of pitchfork ash staves and some leather for the seat is all they cost . The tricky bit was making the three prong bolt system so that it folds.     They are unbelievably comfortable because they don't look it.  I made mine just at that height where I could stand easily and that is where the Bergara was good because the legs where adjustable.

1 hour ago, Walker570 said:

I have a Bergara stag seat and used it for a long time. I fitted a sling to it and it was handy to carry from gun bus or Landie to my peg on shoot days.  I also used it on days pigeon crow decoying.   Not the most comfortable of chairs but works very well and the fact that the legs are individually adjustable great on uneven ground in a blind.  I saw a folding three legged stool when in Slovenia and on returning made a couple and they are easier to carry as they fold smaller and slightly lighter, so i use those all the time now.  Bush wear sell them I believe but I thought the price was a bit high and made my own, A couple of pitchfork ash staves and some leather for the seat is all they cost . The tricky bit was making the three prong bolt system so that it folds.     They are unbelievably comfortable because they don't look it.  I made mine just at that height where I could stand easily and that is where the Bergara was good because the legs where adjustable.

Thanks, sure I've seen a picture of yours. I need a supportive back due to back trouble.

My sons us the 3 legged and swivel 

20200503_143622.jpg

....and mine, armchair luxury 

20200503_144711.jpg

My mate has a bergara seat .and its very versatile .if a bit fiddly to set up .

He says the biggest issue is that he gets a numb bum as the padding is so thin.

So he carries an extra cusion .which then takes up more room in the bag he carries it in .

1 hour ago, Centrepin said:

Thanks, sure I've seen a picture of yours. I need a supportive back due to back trouble.

My sons us the 3 legged and swivel 

20200503_143622.jpg

....and mine, armchair luxury 

I use one of these swivel seats they are ideal as easy to carry, robust, will work on a bank, and you can stand up easily. There are two versions one higher than the other and its the best one to get. If its soft ground a strap between the legs stops them sinking and if you dont need the height you can loose it through the adjusters.

The arm chair  looks nice but too heavy, and a temptation to shoot sitting down. 

I found the holes for the adjusting press studs really fiddly. I opened the locating holes with a counter sinking drill bit and they work a lot better.

The feet can sink in soft ground  so I replaced them with four tennis balls with holes cut out to insert  the legs.

Other than above mines been a good chair for last 5 years.

f.

3 hours ago, Fuddster said:

I found the holes for the adjusting press studs really fiddly. I opened the locating holes with a counter sinking drill bit and they work a lot better.

The feet can sink in soft ground  so I replaced them with four tennis balls with holes cut out to insert  the legs.

Other than above mines been a good chair for last 5 years.

f.

Made a tool to press those adjusting studs in(put details on here a year or more ago) and made some 4 inch round 'mud feet' out of stock boiard for the legs.  I carry mine already assembled with the sling I fitted.  Much prefer the three legged stool for driven days.

I often shoot sitting down as I often struggle to stand  hence the armchair with high back and padded arms. Just so heavy if I need to move or carry it. I don't mind having 2 or more chairs in the car to choose from either. To hit anything I need to be relaxed and comfortable and a stable seat is an absolute must. A stool like my sons is terrible for my back and half hour on it and I need more morphine. For him, active, able bodied and eager to jump up and and fire, its ideal. Generally he hits 4 to my 1 anyway😄

Thanks for all the replies, I've ordered a Begara to try, even if I need an extra cushion, might be bulky but light enough and probably go in the decoy bag. 

I have the same problems with the studs on my shooting stick and the walking stick I designed for rough ground. My armchair has huge mud feet so no sinking. If the Begara is narrow I'll use some of those pads that go under caravan corner steadies. 

11 hours ago, Centrepin said:

I often shoot sitting down as I often struggle to stand  hence the armchair with high back and padded arms. Just so heavy if I need to move or carry it. I don't mind having 2 or more chairs in the car to choose from either. To hit anything I need to be relaxed and comfortable and a stable seat is an absolute must. A stool like my sons is terrible for my back and half hour on it and I need more morphine. For him, active, able bodied and eager to jump up and and fire, its ideal. Generally he hits 4 to my 1 anyway😄

Thanks for all the replies, I've ordered a Begara to try, even if I need an extra cushion, might be bulky but light enough and probably go in the decoy bag. 

I have the same problems with the studs on my shooting stick and the walking stick I designed for rough ground. My armchair has huge mud feet so no sinking. If the Begara is narrow I'll use some of those pads that go under caravan corner steadies. 

When I used a Bergara seat I used the padded top from a revolving bucket seat which fitted perfectly and added extra padding as the Bergara seat has insufficient padding and is pretty hard on the bum after a while. A cushion is probably a more practical solution. Good for the back though. As Walker570 says, a tool made to assist with the adjusting studs helps, as does countersinking the holes. It does help if you can keep it assembled but I realise not always practical.  I don't think that you'll be disappointed with it. Mine came with its own bag and carrying strap.

OB

1 hour ago, Old Boggy said:

When I used a Bergara seat I used the padded top from a revolving bucket seat which fitted perfectly and added extra padding as the Bergara seat has insufficient padding and is pretty hard on the bum after a while. A cushion is probably a more practical solution. Good for the back though. As Walker570 says, a tool made to assist with the adjusting studs helps, as does countersinking the holes. It does help if you can keep it assembled but I realise not always practical.  I don't think that you'll be disappointed with it. Mine came with its own bag and carrying strap.

OB

Thanks, I'll have a look at counter sinking the holes. I'm hoping that I can push them in with my leatherman.

Centrepin.

You have to push both  buttons in at the same time.  A good countersink of the holes is useful.  I glued large circles of 2" foam to the seat, to help with Numb  Bum., which works, but prevents a full folding down of the back rest.

I have one of these  chairs and agree about the thin seat padding.

So I bought a foam circle from eblag and my mrs covered it with material with a loop on the back and I tie wrapped it the backrest.

I do leave mine assembled as the legs are a bit fiddly to constantly take down.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l1313&_nkw=circular+foam+seat+pads+barstools&_sacat=0&LH_TitleDesc=0&_osacat=0&_odkw=circlur+foam+seat+pad+s+barstools

16 hours ago, Centrepin said:

Pity your not closer you could have borrowed mine to try, but I am certain you willfind it adequate. As said you may need a bit more padding on the seat but I have never found that necessary.   When you get yours cut some mud pads about 4 inch  round  bolt and washer through the bottom and the legs then will not sink even on the softest plough.  Any probs give me a call and I will cut some for you and post them up, you can fit them.

On 03/05/2020 at 15:08, Ultrastu said:

My mate has a bergara seat .and its very versatile .if a bit fiddly to set up .

He says the biggest issue is that he gets a numb bum as the padding is so thin.

So he carries an extra cusion .which then takes up more room in the bag he carries it in .

That's about my opinion, also a angular and heavy too. Try before you buy maybe?

54 minutes ago, Centrepin said:

Back to the drawing board, I ordered a seat from on  here, payment taken and now an email saying order cancelled and refund to be made. No explanation! Strange.

Unlucky ! How odd? They're a great seat. I bought one off here a long while ago. 

annn3.jpg

1 hour ago, dessyb said:

i have one for sale centrepin and i am near you never used it i want £50 for it.

Thank you, unfortunately I bought a Nitehawk swivel shooting seat and am already regretting it. If you put it up for sale, I'm sure you'll sell it in minutes.