Repairing render

AVB

I need to repair some render where I have taken out a letter box. I have some mortar but what’s the best way to get the ‘stippled’ effect to match the existing render? Will a stiff brush do or do I need a specific ‘gadget’. 

cheers. 

Its difficult to get a visual match to the old Tyrolean render finish, but I guess a stiff hand brush would be close enough for a patch up.

Tyrolean is usually sprayed on (best way) or with a hand Tyrolean gun (bit patchy)  

2 hours ago, AVB said:

I need to repair some render where I have taken out a letter box. I have some mortar but what’s the best way to get the ‘stippled’ effect to match the existing render? Will a stiff brush do or do I need a specific ‘gadget’. 

cheers. 

There are many 'stippled' finishes that can be achieved on render, so a photo of yours would help.

1 hour ago, old'un said:

Its difficult to get a visual match to the old Tyrolean render finish, but I guess a stiff hand brush would be close enough for a patch up.

Tyrolean is usually sprayed on (best way) or with a hand Tyrolean gun (bit patchy)  

I suspect that it's this ^^^^  Tyrolean. Small patches can be 'matched' by applying the render thicker than required, then removing some to reach the acquired finish. Large patches, use a Tyrolean applicator from a tool hire shop.

Rendering/plastering sand is the stuff to use, not soft/building sand 😉

Edited by JKD

You still should be able to get an old fashioned tyroleon machine..They work strapped to the front of you and you fill the hanging trough up and turn a handle which chucks your rendering at the wall. I have not seen them in use for a number of years but they were brilliant.They had like a spiked roller at the bottom of the trough. If you can't  get one it should be simple to make one. From Auntie.

OK, now we can see it's not a Tyrolean finish. That's more of a rough-cast finish.

Use rendering /plastering sand, 4 parts to 1 of cement,,,, apply to the same thickness and leave to nearly go off, ie, still feels a bit soft to the touch, but not 'wet' if that makes sense. Then use a few stiff bristles from a broom to to attempt to get the same finish. You could try to just dab a small stiff bristled brush onto the surface first to see how that goes.

Edit to add,,,, when you trowel it on it will be smooth. Over-thickness slightly, then gently scrape off the surface with edge of trowel or wooden batten to achieve the correct level and the rough look.

A bit of trial and error and you'll get it perfect 😊

Edited by JKD

Wouldnt call that rough cast,,,looks like a scratch pulled out finish....

try using a sponge and 4" stiffish bristle brush

Trowel on smooth,,,put old sponge flat on surface and almost pull it out so as suction pulls cement outwards then dab back in with brush,, worth a try

7 hours ago, figgy said:

Looks like snowcrete white cement to me. No matter what you use or who done the job it will stand out like a sore thumb.

Put another letterbox in, or some sort of feature to cover it.

Here's a link to K rend, looks a lot like yours

https://www.k-rend.co.uk/products/silicone-scraped-texture

Yea that's k rend. If you dont want the letter box in I'd brick it up then stick the face plate back on it... might **** your postie off tho! Failing that use a white air vent cover 

2 hours ago, Rob525 said:

Yea that's k rend. If you dont want the letter box in I'd brick it up then stick the face plate back on it... might **** your postie off tho! Failing that use a white air vent cover 

I have bricked it up today and tomorrow I will attempt the render. If it looks horrendous I will put a name plate over it. 

thanks all. 

Nothing to lose by rendering, a strategically positioned plant will cover a small difference in texture and colour. Don’t judge yourself too harshly, time will soften how much you see it. Your eye may see a repair as you know it is there, but your visitors will never notice. 

• 2 weeks later...

This is the end result. Not prefect but I think the paint will ‘weather’ a bit over time. I thinks it’s better than having a redundant letter box (and the inside flap always fell off which I have plastered over as well). 

FCCF978B-4864-4A23-A2B2-3A570A6F42D0.jpeg

I'd be worried about my house laying on its side.

You will forget about how lumpy it looks in time and how much it stands out.

I'd use the backdoor for a while 😂

Only kidding it looks ok, very hard to get a perfect repair even for pros.

Thanks. All of it needs to be put into the context of me being absolutely **** at diy. Or I was until lockdown!  Now I have discovered hidden talents. I am even replacing bits on my Defender. Took a couple of panels off yesterday to replace with new. I am amazing myself.