8 bore shotgun

16 minutes ago, Ferretlurcher1970 said:

Am thinking of using one in the coming season.

Is it worth 

The extra weight to lug around ?

Expense of cartridges ?

Is it worth it in general ?

It depends what your outlook on life is. For general wildfowling I use steel in a ten or twelve bore and certainly shoot most geese with them. But there is nothing quite like taking a 140 year old hammer gun out and using it for the purpose it was built. Aside of clocks there aren’t many pieces of engineering that are still fit for purpose after all that time. I use tm in the eight.

So yes it is worth it for this reason alone. Would I bother with a bored out modern ten bore... NO!

I have used my 8 gauges as a regular goose gun and a 4g on occasion especially at the latter end of the season, though last season they didn’t get out as much as I was overwhelmed by the performance of TSS through the 12g 

there is nothing better than being on the marsh waiting for the first flight with a 130 year old gun  , knowing it will still bring down a bird or two.

On 08/05/2020 at 05:32, fandango said:

I have used my 8 gauges as a regular goose gun and a 4g on occasion especially at the latter end of the season, though last season they didn’t get out as much as I was overwhelmed by the performance of TSS through the 12g 

there is nothing better than being on the marsh waiting for the first flight with a 130 year old gun  , knowing it will still bring down a bird or two.

……..and can vouch for the devastating use Fandango puts his 4 bore to on the foreshore at Geese ,stone dead at ranges a 12 or 10 bore could only dream of