pigeons in cheshire

just asking how are fellow pigeon shooters getting on in the area ,not many reports on here from shooters that were frequent reporters  of there pigeon shooting  forays in Cheshire, my own experience iam really struggling to find pigeon in numbers, ie 75 acres of spring sown beans / 50 acres of spring sown rape . winter rape total waste of time , heres hopeing.

The fields backing on to my house are just in Cheshire, they have been direct drilled with beans after spraying off the over wintered stubble. There were about 100 pigeons on it but farmer didn’t want us on the land due to lockdown, not worth his hassle I guess and he is elderly to may feel at risk. They will still be there come harvest. 

I’m on Suffolk / Cambs border and not seeing any in any sort of numbers , havnt had guns out of cabinet since lockdown really hasn’t been any need, even drilling on farm is direct drilling so hardly any spillage , might be lucky and their reappearance coincides with lock down being  lifted  -    Wouldn’t that be nice.           Stay safe everyone 

I would say that this time of the year is normally quiet and for some reason this year is quieter than others , as we are now allowed to drive a short distance to take your dog and yourself for exercise I have been walking around our Pea fields where I do most of my shooting and up to now I haven't seen a single Pigeon on the sprouting Peas which are now 2 / 3 inches high , this is the same with our Rape fields , we had some patches that were shorter than the rest of the field that had some Pigeons on but now that is all in flower they have kept off and are no longer any threat to the crop .

For the majority of Pigeon shooter's these few weeks are the calm before the storm so to speak with very little happening ,in our case ( other's might find it different who go on veg plants and who have got Peas at a later stage ) all our drilling is over for the time being and what Pigeons we have got are happy stuffing themselves with buds in the various woods on the estate .

In Archie Coats old book ( Pigeon Shooting ) he did state if I remember rightly that he take a holiday in April as there was very little shooting to be had , that was before o s r was grown in any quantity and maybe farming have moved on a bit . 

Hopefully we should start seeing Pigeons leave the woods by the end of May and with a bit of luck some of the on going virus restrictions are lifted so more of us can once again blow the dust off our decoys and get some normality back in our lives.    STAY SAFE 

38 minutes ago, marsh man said:

I would say that this time of the year is normally quiet and for some reason this year is quieter than others , as we are now allowed to drive a short distance to take your dog and yourself for exercise I have been walking around our Pea fields where I do most of my shooting and up to now I haven't seen a single Pigeon on the sprouting Peas which are now 2 / 3 inches high , this is the same with our Rape fields , we had some patches that were shorter than the rest of the field that had some Pigeons on but now that is all in flower they have kept off and are no longer any threat to the crop .

For the majority of Pigeon shooter's these few weeks are the calm before the storm so to speak with very little happening ,in our case ( other's might find it different who go on veg plants and who have got Peas at a later stage ) all our drilling is over for the time being and what Pigeons we have got are happy stuffing themselves with buds in the various woods on the estate .

In Archie Coats old book ( Pigeon Shooting ) he did state if I remember rightly that he take a holiday in April as there was very little shooting to be had , that was before o s r was grown in any quantity and maybe farming have moved on a bit . 

Hopefully we should start seeing Pigeons leave the woods by the end of May and with a bit of luck some of the on going virus restrictions are lifted so more of us can once again blow the dust off our decoys and get some normality back in our lives.    STAY SAFE 

hello, good post MM, yes April/May is always a lean time on the pigeons but they are no doubt nesting as well, having read the book many many times i did wonder where Archie and Pru took their holidays😀

26 minutes ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

hello, good post MM, yes April/May is always a lean time on the pigeons but they are no doubt nesting as well, having read the book many many times i did wonder where Archie and Pru took their holidays😀

Remember Jacks Game when he went out with "the great man", very enjoyable watch, ahh those were the days.

Just now, oldypigeonpopper said:

hello, yes have watched myself, i do wonder what he would think now of many using semi autos !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think "Major Coats" would have felt it akin to pigeon treason of the highest order in a disloyal approach to the tradition. 🤣

1 minute ago, 7daysinaweek said:

Had I accompanied him, I would have been immediately demoted in the ranks as I shoot with an old Baikal. 🤣

hello, nothing wrong with a Baikal, it was those 1970s Record cartridges that Baikal produced that went off with a bang/flash/and black smoke coming out your barrels

1 minute ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

hello, nothing wrong with a Baikal, it was those 1970s Record cartridges that Baikal produced that went off with a bang/flash/and black smoke coming out your barrels

Fantastic! 

As long as they gave the desired outcome, I bet they smelt wonderful?

9 hours ago, stuy said:

rchie shot with a Wembley 700 I speak quite often to will Garfit who now owns the  gun ! He was left it from Archie his mentor  

I thought he did, but was not sure.

I read an article yesterday in which Cheshire  Police  were asking pigeon shooters to phone them for an incident number, giving your details and where you would be shooting and for approximately how long you would be there. It seems that with so many people out, taking their 'daily exercise', they are experiencing a higher number of calls than usual regarding 'shooters'. They would appreciate your assistance regarding the issue. Don't forget to ring them when you are leaving so they can close the 'log'. They do not have a problem with people shooting, just the increased number of calls. It seems to me to be a reasonable request.