Powder coating bullets.

I’ve got the time and all the bits and pieces so I thought I would try it. I have not bought any powder because I was told that some powders do not work which makes the last step tricky. Obviously I need a UK supplier. I really need the experience of someone who has powder coated with a particular powder easily sourced.

46 minutes ago, phaedra1106 said:

Don't bother it's a complete waste of time.  A properly sized bullet of the correct harness will shoot perfectly well

+1  Why would you want to do it? Does it make them more accurate/cheaper/quicker to make? This seems to be a fashion that serves little useful purpose (other than bling). I remember when moly coating bullets was a "thing" was going to revolutionise longrange shooting - who does it now?

I have no experience here BUT in my bizarre working brain a synapse just went off! You need a powder that will cook in your domestic oven and some just wont. Now I could have imagined that or completely make it up but I'm almost certain I read that somewhere once. Maybe 😂

This was very popular in the US a couple of years ago, there's no evidence that powder (epoxy) coated bullets shoot any better than a decent un-coated.

By all means give it a try (something to do!), you'll need a powder that (as you said) will bake in a domestic oven, in the US they use a little cheap "toaster oven"

I almost brought some powder back a few years ago but decided the amount of time and energy just wasn't worth it for no appreciable gain.

If you know anyone going to the US (at some point in the future) Harbour Frieght have it quite cheaply ($6.99 - 16oz) , there are a few stores scattered over Florida.

https://www.harborfreight.com/painting/paints-sealants-adhesives.html?category=2553

Ok, I appreciate the replys. The calibre I'm shooting and making for, if it works, is 9mm. I buy copper wash bullets now but they are dear, so powder coating might;

1. Be fun to make.

2. Be cheap to shoot.

There are lots of suppliers but they dont all work, im told. Lots of pretty colours but whats the point in buying if the chemical mix isnt right. Hoping someone here might be into powder coating with success and a brand that I can buy.

I think for indoor ranges it has an advantage in that there is no lubricant mess. But IMHO if you have a proper lubrisizer to size the bullets anyway you are simply creating an additional process (that of applying the powder coating) than if you used the lubrisizer machine with lubricant in it. But...and here is the advantage if OTOH you have one of the simple push through sizing devices that fits on top of a standard reloading press it has a role. As you have saved a good deal of money on the cost of not having to buy a lubrisizer.

Edited by enfieldspares

the idea of copper washed bullets and powder coated bullets is broadly the same. It provides a barrier between the lead bullet and the barrel to prevent leading. Neither is a lubricant, but simply a barrier layer.

Some people still experienced leading with copper washed bullets because the rifling cut through the microscopically thin layer of copper exposing the lead below. It all depends on the depth and profile of your rifling. I can see the same problem happening with powder coated bullets.

Years ago back in the pistol days there was a company called silverlube that coated their bullets with a Teflon coating very similar to powder coating. Some people swore by them others couldn't get on with them at all.

I soon found out that copper washed bullets were no substitute for FMJ when loading for full .357 magnum velocities to shoot at 100yds. After a few shots the bullets were going sideways. I would expect powder coated bullets would be the same.

Vince,

your reminding me of all the reasons I stopped casting bullets. Key holing is a nuisance and one that I never really solved. I retired the moulds for 9mm, 357/38, .45acp and .40sw and moved to copper wash or bought hard-cast lead. I download all my calibres now so that they just recycle the pistol or are just sufficient for revolver. I never hot load any calibre as there is no near. Leading is not an issue. I began casting again for a Parker Hale Volunteer and remembered how much fun casting can be. It was the present lock-down that has lead me to powder coating because I had the moulds, alloy bricks and an oven sitting unused. It’s the powder that’s holding me back. I’ve noticed that the powder is cheap so if I buy, and it’s no good, then no harm. I can’t believe that no one on PW is doing it or at least responded.

Probably because there's no real need or reason for it 😂

Just cast or buy the right size lead bullet and get shooting, Shellhouse make a very decent range of cast bullets.

You'll probably get more info posting on other forums such as Full Bore UK or UKV,

Here's a reply from a very experienced shooter/RFD who has cast bullets for decades,

"I have tried it extensively a few years ago and the bottom line was that it conferred no benefits to me on the target over conventional lubing.

In addition I found it a very messy and fiddly process and tried every way from simply tumbling in powder and acetone to the electro static method, the other thing is that all powders are not the same and had to get some sent over from the states to get the same level of coverage and adhesion as they were getting as none of the UK powders I used gave that other than with the electrostatic method.

Perhaps if we were back in the pistol days and I was still shooting 2000 rounds a week of one or two calibres then as a bulk process it may have merits in getting set up for it.

Never had great success from it when the velocity started going up over 1500 fps, I know there are chaps in the US getting good velocity and accuracy from powder coated bullets but it is still a involved process that respects the nature of what they are working with and as such is no short cut to shooting high velocity cast bullets with accuracy.

For a coating then Xlox tumble lube does just as well for most similar applications with a lot less fuss and mess, if you need to size your bullets then using conventional lube is a far easier simpler and effective method.

The ******* powder is a real pig to manage and the whole of my garage is still covered in the ******* stuff, not really worth the bother in my experience but if you are looking for something just to while away the time for no reason then it is a good a way as any though it can work out expensive if you really want a decent coating."

Edited by phaedra1106

Years ago back in the pistol days there was a company called silverlube that coated their bullets with a Teflon coating very similar to powder coating. Some people swore by them others couldn't get on with them at all.

Mountain and Sowden. Who seemed almost, well it seemed to me, to disappear overnight. Which was a shame as they were a good company to deal with selling excellently made products and never gave cause for complaint.

Edited by enfieldspares

• 3 months later...

I tried to powdercoat the cast lee . 225 dia bullets but try as i might i couldn't get the powdercoat to stick to the bullets so i gave it up as a bad job

pity as I think i had 10 pretty colours of powdercoat off fleabay for the job lol.

11 hours ago, Andy H said:

Try here for the information they seem to try anything.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/forumdisplay.php?184-Coatings-and-Alternatives

Yeah cast boolits is one of my favourite go to forums but i have been watching elvis ammo and fortune cookie fc on YouTube as well might try the wet coating method I seen described when i get some time 

I have been using an unknown alloy from shot making mind to cast these bullets

which is producing a very hard but very nice looking slug which flows and fills my mould casting perfect bullets

so weather that has anything to do with why the powdercoat wont stick to the bullets would be interesting to know 

I've tumbled them in the powdercoat for hours on end with no joy so weather its my alloy or the powdercoat its self is the problem I don't know 

• 2 weeks later...

Hello i powdercoat  all my lead bullets i get it of ebay i found gloss black to be very good i use one of the plastic tubs they use for sweets i put those plastic balls they use in air guns for war games dont put loads of bullets in the pot and just a desert spoon amount of powder ie 50 and a  swirling action on a worktop it wont take long stand bottom down on some non stick paper and bake for the time it says for the powder oh and use tweezers to place bullets on paper dont touch with hands i would not go back to lubing very easy and cheap i shoot 45-70 38-55 44mag and you dont have to worry about the lead alloy i have found all my range scrap shoots well,and change the powder often its very cheap .

On 04/05/2020 at 11:52, nagantino said:

I’ve got the time and all the bits and pieces so I thought I would try it. I have not bought any powder because I was told that some powders do not work which makes the last step tricky. Obviously I need a UK supplier. I really need the experience of someone who has powder coated with a particular powder easily sourced.

I bought some off ebay

must have been teflon or summit couldnt make the f xxxxxg stuff stick to the bullets and i bought some pretty colours as well

give it up as a bad job in the end lol