Advice please....

Hi each and everyone,

After some 50+ plus years I have the opportunity again to do a little pigeon and crow control on farm land. 

So when the police start granting new shotgun licences again I looking to buy a used side by side 12 bore (say an AYA?) for the job in hand. 

What can you recommend to me in the questions below?

1. Make of gun

2. Barrel length

3. Choke sizes for the prey mentioned.

4. Cartridge shot and load size

Thank you in anticipation.

Mike

If you're buying a side by side you won't want to be putting real heavy cartridges through it unless you want to be beat to bits. I would look at an aya yeoman or a No4 which is really the ejector version. Choked 1/4 and 1/2 so you can shoot lead and standard pressure steel loads. 28inch barrels on it should be good for all round shooting. I love my yeoman and can't recommend them enough if you want a solid no frills gun that will last. And you can pick them up for peanuts these days.

My cartridges are usually a 30 gram 5 or 6 shot in lead for crows and pigeons depending on how they are being shot. Decoyed pigeons I will also use 28gram 7s

Edited by Rob85
Damn autocorrect

21 minutes ago, Rob85 said:

If you're buying a side by side you won't want to be putting real heavy cartridges through it unless you want to be beat to bits. I would look at an aya yeoman or a No4 which is really the ejector version. Choked 1/4 and 1/2 so you can shoot lead and standard pressure steel loads. 28inch barrels on it should be good for all round shooting. I love my yeoman and can't recommend them enough if you want a solid no frills gun that will last. And you can pick them up for peanuts these days.

My cartridges are usually a 30 gram 5 or 6 shot in lead for crows and pigeons depending on how they are being shot. Decoyed pigeons I will also use 28gram 7s

Nothing that can be added in terms of spec. You can pick up a Yeoman now cheap as chips and for the shooting you are doing may find an ejector a pain as you are in a hide so I would not bother looking at the No 4. Auction sites like a Holts have these in numbers.

hello, yes a nice yeoman/number 3/number 4 can be purchased at very good prices, i would suggest open chokes rather than the usual half and full, back in days gone by i had all mine reamed out to improved and 3/4 choke and used eley grand prix impax or 30g 6s, if i had one today i would use 28g 7.5s like my light O/U

Edited by oldypigeonpopper

12 minutes ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

hello, yes a nice yeoman/number 3/number 4 can be purchased at very good prices, i would suggest open chokes rather than the usual half and full, back in days gone by i had all mine reamed out to improved and 3/4 choke and used eley grand prix impax or 30g 6s, if i had one today i would use 28g 7.5s like my light O/U

Thanks for your reply, but what is meant in your term "Open Chokes"?

All above very good advice and yes, I would go for improved in both barrels personally, but find yourslf a nice Yeoman and go from there. Try it out shoot it a bit and then decide if you need different choking.  Gun fit is one of the most important things to look at, much more important than what chokes you have in it.    Does it feel right as that then gives you confidence.

AYA in my local shop £35. No idea of model. Sure was non ejector. (Was before lockdown) Dealer says he can't get rid of them fast enough and is not buying in anymore. He had some other SBS from £10 up. Does seem a shame.

Should be able to get a decent gun for fair money and some shoulder protection  if planning on busy days with 30 gram plus.

In a small hide I don't like ejectors but my son does.

Everyone has their own idea of what's right and wrong.

Chokes are the absolute least of your worries, or should be.

14 hours ago, Centrepin said:

AYA in my local shop £35. No idea of model. Sure was non ejector. (Was before lockdown) Dealer says he can't get rid of them fast enough and is not buying in anymore. He had some other SBS from £10 up. Does seem a shame.

Have a similar thing in my local, picked my no4 up cheap because he can't shift SxS's. 

Looking forward to the lockdown being over because he did have a 20b, nothing special, can't even remember what make it was but something that could be tarted up and enjoyed.

15 minutes ago, Farmboy91 said:

Have a similar thing in my local, picked my no4 up cheap because he can't shift SxS's. 

Looking forward to the lockdown being over because he did have a 20b, nothing special, can't even remember what make it was but something that could be tarted up and enjoyed.

👍

16 minutes ago, Farmboy91 said:

👍

• 2 weeks later...

Absolutely any gun, with any length of barrel, with any choke, pushing out 28-30g of No 5 or 6 shot, will do the job perfectly out to 40 yards or so.

I'd want to ask the farmer if he's got any problem with plastic wads, or if he wants fibre only using.