silicone gun socks

evening all,  just after christmas i bought 3 silicone gun socks,  begining of march i decided to use one on my best gun. i am very particular about cleaning my guns, they are kept in a dry place no damp.  i went to get them out and check them, they were ok apart from my best gun. i took it out of the sock and it was covered with RUST. i was absolutely gutted mainly because my late father bought it for me just before he died in 1986 .i am in the process of cleaning the rust off polishing it and re-bluing the barrells.  i have now got 3 silicone gun socks i wont be useing.  PS i forgot to say my best gun is a WILLIAM EVANS 12BORE SXS EJECTOR BUILT IN 1915  it was a lovely gun untill the rust, hopefully it will be lovely again. i thought these gun socks were supposed to protect the gun. 

Seems strange, all my guns are kept in those socks, various sock suppliers too. My son keeps his in socks too, two different cabinets. I think they're great. If my gun gets wet, I wipe it down put it in a sock, then a dry slip for journey home. Never had a problem.

Yours isn't a chinese copy is it? Made of 💩

37 minutes ago, FAR WELTED said:

evening all,  just after christmas i bought 3 silicone gun socks,  begining of march i decided to use one on my best gun. i am very particular about cleaning my guns, they are kept in a dry place no damp.  i went to get them out and check them, they were ok apart from my best gun. i took it out of the sock and it was covered with RUST. i was absolutely gutted mainly because my late father bought it for me just before he died in 1986 .i am in the process of cleaning the rust off polishing it and re-bluing the barrells.  i have now got 3 silicone gun socks i wont be useing.  PS i forgot to say my best gun is a WILLIAM EVANS 12BORE SXS EJECTOR BUILT IN 1915  it was a lovely gun untill the rust, hopefully it will be lovely again. i thought these gun socks were supposed to protect the gun. 

Where did you buy them from?

6 minutes ago, FAR WELTED said:

no mate , the gun was dry. 

i paid 10 pound each didnt think that was cheap

The ones I have are Remington ones £8 each and seem okay.  Do you have to re-blue the barrels? Reason I ask, I had some rust on a barrel once and used gun oil and fine steel wool and it came out fine.

Is not rust caused by moisture/damp? If the other guns were not rusty, surely it must be moisture on that particular gun.....or in the fabric of the sock?

Edited to say I’ve just checked mine and all are fine!

Edited by panoma1